Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhorse's Kingdom Come: Deliverance Is Now on Kickstarter

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

After trying, extensively and, as it turns out, unsuccessfully, to pitch their realistic medieval sandbox action-RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance to various publishers, Warhorse Studios and Daniel Vavra have decided to break the game down in 3 Acts and go the way of Kickstarter, with the funding goal set at £300,000:

A first-person, open world, realistic RPG that will take you to Medieval Europe in a time of great upheaval and strife. A humble, young blacksmith loses everything to war. As he tries to fulfill the dying wish of his father, Fate drags him into the thick of a conspiracy to save a kidnapped king and stop a bloody conflict. You will wander the world, fighting as a knight, lurking in the shadows as a rogue, or using the bard’s charm to persuade people to your cause. You will dive deep into a sweeping, epic, nonlinear story from Daniel Vávra, an award-winning designer from the Mafia series. Our unique, first-person combat system lets you wield sword or bow in both one-on-one skirmishes and large-scale battles. All of this - and more - brought to life beautifully with next-gen visuals delivered via CryEngine 3.

Why Kickstarter?

Our plan was to develop a prototype, pitch it to publishers, and finish development with the subsequent money. We tried to do it that way (and you can read about our experiences on our blog), but in essence, even though everybody we met commended our work, praised our game’s visuals, and believed in our ability to deliver, negotiations would inevitably hit a dead end at the point where the publishers' marketing departments got involved. Why?

"Your game is too niche. There’s no magic. People want wizards and dragons."

We beg to differ. The response from players has always been great. We think gamers like history – look at the success of Total War, Assassin's Creed, Mount and Blade, and Red Dead Redemption. There is no medieval first-person RPG out there, but it does not necessarily follow that nobody wants one - only that there is no easy box for marketing to pigeonhole it in.

Our investor is strong and capable of funding the complete development of our project. But he does not follow the game industry very closely, and needs proof that publishers and marketers are wrong about our game - that you are indeed interested in a mature, medieval RPG that emphasizes freedom and authenticity. And so we stand, as a studio, at a crossroads. Either those naysayers are right, and there truly is no desire for the game we are making, or we are right. Either way, we think Kickstarter is a great way to find out.​

£15 gets you a digital copy of the game. Study the Kickstarter page for more rewards.

According to rumours, if the Kickstarter campaign manages to reach its goal, the rest of the development costs will be covered by a Czech millionaire. That must be the "private investor" that the pitch refers to.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
WTF. I did not expect this at all.
Really? There's no publisher interested in this?

Unless the KS campaign is just a PR/marketing stunt to *make* some publisher interested.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WTF. I did not expect this at all.
Really? There's no publisher interested in this?

Unless the KS campaign is just a PR/marketing stunt to *make* some publisher interested.
They have a local millionaire lined up (same guy who has funded the development until now) but he is making them go to KS to gauge public interest.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The investor is cycling man.

bettiniphoto_0066812_1_full_600.jpg

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The developer's posts here made it sound like casual, consolized bullshit in disguise, no thanks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if Feargus Urquhart is very happy or very upset that someone's testing the EPISODIC SKYRIM waters before he can.

Looks like trash, will not back.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks fantastic but I doubt his claim that they are able to combine M&B combat and Witcher storytelling is more than marketing nonsense.
I would still play the hell out of it even if Deliverance doesn't deliver.
negotiations would inevitably hit a dead end at the point where the publishers' marketing departments got involved. Why?

"Your game is too niche. There’s no magic. People want wizards and dragons."
What the hell?!!! I refuse to believe that publishers are THAT dumb! :rpgcodex:

Btw, I want to play as a wymyn warrior, would that be possible?
:troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This private investor thing is so weird, I can't help but imagine something like this:

mnOz6lD.png

Game looks great thought, so he has my coins.

The developer's posts here made it sound like casual, consolized bullshit in disguise, no thanks.

You really should read the info on the Kickstarter page before coming to this brilliant conclusion. I doubt having eating requirements in the game, along with food spoilage, not to mention accurate weapon and armor relationships (warhammers vs plate armor, etc) is the way of consolized bullshit. Oh and also the small bit about multiple ways to do every quest and branching dialogue options, but I guess that doesn't cut it for edginess in a 3D game.

It's not that they are dumb, it's just they do not play games at all, and know absolutely nothing about the industry. They are just businessmen who let market research dictate all their decisions, which is of course, a pretty messed up way of running things. But that's why these companies keep committing suicide by marching like lemmings off a cliff after WoW or LoL or whatever else.

The Kickstarter video looks pretty sweet for the most part. Not sure about how the combat works exactly, or what they mean by prompts. I hope those prompts don't telegraph the player what they should be doing, but just offer options, with the player still having to make the right decision. Otherwise it would be too easy.

LivingOne

Savant
It' s got 1/10 of the money already.I'll probably pledge sometime before the ks ends.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This game is gonna be a blast to play through even of they only manage to implement half of what they're promising. :incline:

Play as a medieval investigator searching for a mass murderer, lay siege to a bandit fort with an army at your back, experience epic battles between armored knights, interrogate, bribe, threaten, love, help, fight… It’s up to you to decide what to do. There are multiple ways to finish every quest - use your sword, quick fingers, or your wit.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Testing to see if there is potential for revenue seems pretty sensible to me (as sensible as funding a vidya game in the first place can be). If they get the $500.000 they'll have more credible base to build upon on. 15.000 "pre-orders" will generate additional interest on the release day, which will hopefully lead into successful sales. If not, he'll be able to cut his losses short (with a chance to recover at least part of the costs from future sales of the "episode 1").

Investing nearly two million in the game in the first place is quite ballsy, but when you remind yourself of the fact that the complete game would probably cost closer to ten-twenty... yeah. I'd be careful with my money, too.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

You really should read the info on the Kickstarter page before coming to this brilliant conclusion. I doubt having eating requirements in the game, along with food spoilage, not to mention accurate weapon and armor relationships (warhammers vs plate armor, etc) is the way of consolized bullshit. Oh and also the small bit about multiple ways to do every quest and branching dialogue options, but I guess that doesn't cut it for edginess in a 3D game.

It's not that they are dumb, it's just they do not play games at all, and know absolutely nothing about the industry. They are just businessmen who let market research dictate all their decisions, which is of course, a pretty messed up way of running things. But that's why these companies keep committing suicide by marching like lemmings off a cliff after WoW or LoL or whatever else.

Mentioning Skyrim and Witcher as inspirations, is not what i would call a "rpg" pedigree...

And of course, all those features promised from developers whose greatest accomplishments are working on a racing game, on crysis and a military simulation which is famous for having broken features and half assed releases, its normal to feel a bit reticent that they are actually able to pull it off, in fact i highly doubt it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is gonna be a blast to play through even of they only manage to implement half of what they're promising. :incline:

Play as a medieval investigator searching for a mass murderer, lay siege to a bandit fort with an army at your back, experience epic battles between armored knights, interrogate, bribe, threaten, love, help, fight… It’s up to you to decide what to do. There are multiple ways to finish every quest - use your sword, quick fingers, or your wit.
Interestingly the Czech preview claims that large scale battles and sieges are going to be few and far between, mostly stored for storyline climax.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
C'mon guys .. this could bring Mount & Blade and Skyrim together, and blow both right out of the water. This must get funded.
Just think how great Mafia was, and how much more potential there was with open world.

Burning Bridges

And of course, all those features promised from developers whose greatest accomplishments are working on a racing game, on crysis and a military simulation which is famous for having broken features and half assed releases, its normal to feel a bit reticent that they are actually able to pull it off, in fact i highly doubt it.

Are we talking about the same people? Mafia? Hidden and Dangerous? Operation Flashpoint??

Burning Bridges

If you have followed the blog the writing was already on the wall: there is no chance to get a major publisher behind this, and kickstarter is the only way this is going to happen.

Mentioning Skyrim and Witcher as inspirations, is not what i would call a "rpg" pedigree...

Plenty of RPG fans like The Witcher, though you may not. And Skyrim has the right idea at its foundation (huge open world), and simply fails at most implementation details, which these guys would do differently obviously (perhaps failing in their own way, only future will tell).

And these guys have made some great games. Operation Flashpoint was a brilliant game, and Mafia was pretty good. These weren't RPGs, but they weren't derpy Call of Duty type games either, so I would definitely give them some respect.

WhiteGuts

Arcane

Well it depends on which aspect of these games they want to emulate. Clearly, they are interested in Skyrim's open wilderness and The Witcher's mature storytelling and world design. And that's very okay in my book.

The RPG mechanics they are planning to implement are actually really good, same for combat. Honestly, if it wasn't for the cutting edge graphics, this would be considered a pretty niche game and right up in the Codex valley.

Burning Bridges

Mafia is over 10 years old and it still looks great, because it is a fucking work of genius.
And back in the day I'd wished them to go open world. I would still play that game if there was more non-linearity.

In both of those games (Operation Flashpoint and Mafia) they were trailblazers in terms of combat systems. Back then, all shooters pretty much had run and gun combat, and OF was so completely different and more realistic, where you had to crawl and hide, and carefully scan your surroundings for enemy troops, then actually hitting them at long distances was challenging and satisfying with the iron sights. Likewise, Mafia had enemy NPCs take cover and pop out for a shot years before other more popular games started doing that. I hope they can continue this with this game.

Dexter

Arcane
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Will back later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom