Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #72: Release date, stretch goals cancelled, plus a ton of art

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Rose Gomez

Today's Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter update, written by another member of Obsidian's seemingly endless army of young producers, is low on text, but compensates for that with lots of art. It does (finally) officially announce the game's postponed release date - Winter 2014. It also announces that Obsidian's plans for funding additional stretch goals have been abandoned.

Hello everyone! My name is Rose Gomez - I'm the newest Producer on Pillars of Eternity. I'll be handling a lot of the Kickstarter related duties for the game from here on out. I've been working at Obsidian Entertainment for a little over three years now. My previous titles include South Park: The Stick of Truth and the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. I'm thrilled to be able to work on Pillars of Eternity and can't wait to interact more with all of you in the coming months.

For this update, we've got some awesome new character, area, and concept art that we're excited to show. However, before we get to the art, we wanted to officially update everyone that we are looking good to release Eternity by Winter 2014. So, look forward to getting your hands on Pillars of Eternity later this year.

Our next update will be all about Pillars of Eternity lore by Eric Fenstermaker.

Stretch Goals

After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals. Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals.

Surveys

Our designers are working hard to implement the designs that our higher tiered backers have come up with. If you have a survey that needs to be filled out, please do so by March 31st. It's important that you get your surveys completed by the deadline because we are closing in on Alpha quickly. The team needs ample time to get your content into the game. We can't guarantee your in-game contribution will make it into the game if you are late. This includes inn/tavern designs, adventurer party designs, portraits, NPCs, and items/weapons, so make sure you get your idea in before the deadline! You can fill out your surveys on our Backer Portal after you've finished managing your pledge. They can be found on your account page under the Surveys tab.

Worried that your design won't fit into Pillars of Eternity lore? Not sure if you want that innkeeper to be an Orlan or an Aumaua? Take a peek at the Pillars of Eternity Wiki to get some inspiration or clarification on the world.
As for art, like I said, there's a lot of it. There's godlike heads and portraits, and concept art and an in-engine render of the Druid's cat form (Jasede brofisted this). As usual, however, the area screenshots are the most impressive of the lot:

That's an interior from an area called Ondra's Gift, which I believe we've seen before. There's also an additional screenshot of a blacksmith's shop, location unknown.

Monad

Learned
I still can't believe people are surprised that the game is "delayed".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Winter 2014 basically means December 21st/22nd, right?

Whoops, that's a weekend. That means it must be 12/23. Cutting it kinda close though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'm glad about the druid forms, when Sawyer said druids wouldn't turn into animals completely I thought they were going to be really cheap about it.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I have a feeling this will be the game that finally gets me out of my glorious turn-based comfort zone to take a meandering stroll in the filthy, degenerate world of debaucherous RTwP combat.

Monad

Learned
Winter 2014 means it could be October, November, or December.

an in-engine render of the Druid's cat form.

For shame, Obsidian. If I'm going to see my character's junk when he's in cat form, at least make him hung like a horse. Not for any Bioware-esque interspecies sex shenanigans - it's just that the picture looks like the poor cat is trying REALLY hard to smack his opponents around with his genitals, but just doesn't have the size to make it work.

aratuk

Cipher
I'm glad there won't be any more stretch goals. It's good to see any sign of discipline that comes from somewhere other than glaring necessity (i.e., "we ran out of money months ago") in a Kickstarter project. And this game is very kitchen-sink, as it is. I would be happy to see them cut things, like the player stronghold, but maybe they'll pull it off well.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
Art looks amazing. I love the "solid" and authentic feel of the prerendered maps, reminds me of running Baldur's Gate in the resolution patch so it looks (and plays, I guess) like an RTS. It's a crime barely any games uses pre-rendered 3D artwork anymore, not just for isometric games either, even from a first-person perspective games like Riven and Myst 4 Revelation show how beautiful prerendered art can look.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals.

I mean, right decision and all, but it does scare me that anyone at Obsidian would be even considering that what this project might need right now is expansion of a design doc already somewhat over inflated by the need to promote extra donations during the initial kickstarter.

imweasel

Winter 2014 means it could be October, November, or December.
That is fall 2014.

Winter 2014 (specifically winter 2014/2015) starts on the 21. of December 2014 and ends on the 19. of March 2015.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Putting Wasteland and PE side by side, the power of painted backdrops really comes out. Torment is going with painted settings, right? Not that Wasteland doesn't occasionally look cool, too, but given the choice between rotating a camera and the option of having a fully-realized artist's vision not limited by technical constraints, well. I bet most of us would agree.

Painted backdrops are supposed to be more expensive, though, right? Especially if you want to simulate shadows and light and crazy shit like that. I feel like some long-ago PE blog talked about that. I can understand the desire for the simplicity of a naturally 3D environment, but c'mon. People go crazy over, like, the rain effects in Metal Gear trailers or something. There's clearly a value to memorable visuals, even to the general public.

Calling it now... first quarter 2015 release, come this winter it will be delayed again to polish.

chanteth the tired monk, let em delay. two years from now we (and the masses, and Obsidian's accountants) will remember the game they got, not the day they got it. I just hope they don't end up in a nasty place financially because they need more time to work.

Gord

Arcane
[roguey]Winter 2014 (more like spring 2015), additional stretchgoals canceled, renders looking like 15 year old IE screens, it's becoming ever more apparent that Sawyer bit off more than he could chew. But I'm sure the game will be very "balanced" in the end...[/roguey]

:troll:

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
I look forward to playing this game in 15 years on my 2560x2048 monitor with resolution hack and Unfinished Business mod for all the content that had to be cut to prevent studio falling into bankruptcy, as well as unofficial patch for all the bugs that shipped, while waiting for the spiritual successor Kickstarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom