Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Watch Kingdom Come: Deliverance in motion, KS ending at £1.1m

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

The Warhorse people writes to inform us about this recently recorded video of a livestream showing Kingdom Come: Deliverance's nice-looking scenery, dialogues, sword-sharpening mini-games and combat.

Their Kickstarter, with two hours left, has already reached an impressive sum of over £1m (~$1.7m). I guess I'll update this news post when it closes.

Update: The Kickstarter campaign is now finished. Warhorse managed to collect £1.1m, gaining almost 10% in the final 24 hours.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
now I congratulate myself for not pledging for this project.
wish them all the best

bonescraper

I read the title as "Watch Kingcomrade come"... :oops: (before you fixed the typo).

piydek

Cipher
Bullshit. It was enough for me seeing the dude play on gamepad and hearing about minigames and "checkpoints" on the map. Fuck off.

piydek

Cipher
But the title of the king of hiking simulators will likely be taken over from TES. Unless TES VI comes out by that time.

piydek

Cipher
Combat looks dumb as hell, unless they had god mode on for demo purposes or something.

I think combat could be good if they push the realism stuff far enough. However, I would hope it won't end up like a series of masked QTEs like: the enemy animation telephones the enemy's move and you have to press the right button to counter that move and then again the same over and over again. If they managed to make it do something with throwing the enemy off balance and then striking, that would be cool, but i imagine it would be doable only with extremely differentiated localized attacks and proper physics of body reactions. And if they did do that, it would probably be impossible to play the thing on a controller.

Johannes

Arcane
I wonder simply how much combat this will have in it. And you can't have too many simple 1 vs 1 matches only either, or it gets repetitive - how does the game handle fighting multiple opponents, or fighting wolves and giant rats?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wonder simply how much combat this will have in it. And you can't have too many simple 1 vs 1 matches only either, or it gets repetitive - how does the game handle fighting multiple opponents, or fighting wolves and giant rats?
Hopefully being outnumbered means getting your ass severely kicked unless you ambush them

Johannes

Arcane
Hopefully being outnumbered means getting your ass severely kicked unless you ambush them
Now that seems exciting, every encounter is either an even fight or you sniping everyone off with a crossbow.

Combat looks pretty fucking good to me, what is your problem with it? What sort of critique is QTE? Every fucking single player melee combat to date is pretty much QTE when compared side to side with the combat video of this. Apart from looking basic and incomplete, it looks better and more convincing than anything else I've seen in first person. Certainly more involving and engaging looking.

Dan said fighting multilpe opponents is hard to survive and there will be skills that improve your chances in fighting multiple opponents. I'm worried it might be REAL QTE stuff like the moves in DX:HR or Assassin's Creed series.

piydek

Cipher
Combat looks pretty fucking good to me, what is your problem with it? What sort of critique is QTE? Every fucking single player melee combat to date is pretty much QTE.

This depends on the length of animation of enemy after making physical contact with player character and inertia of your own previous movement which will probably also be handled by animation and then the time it takes for your repeated ability of control input. If these times are high and the strike localization isn't very differentiated - it's pretty QTE-like. They don't seem to be going for twitchy combat and if this system won't be able to provide very localized strikes with differentiated consequences in body physics, it might end up looking nice at first, but ultimately shallow and boring. If they manage to pull off complex localized body interactions and specific physics, then the fighting might end up quite strategic, which would be awesome.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey, my thoughts exactly.

I'm also thinking..... I don't know, I'm watching the stream recording and I'm liking it but I keep thinking - so they're making an RPG minus fantasy and minus a lot of combat. But where are the pluses?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking fwd to an RPG without stupid evil wizards and without fighting swarms of skeletons every few metres. But wizards, dragons, dungeons, magical artifacts, enchanting, conjuring, skeletons, zombies, elementals, giant rats......quantitatively speaking that's a lot of content and a lot variety removed. What will make up for it? A complex crafting system? Horse training? Bear taming? Sewing, stitching, blacksmithing, playing lute?

What about the enemy variety? I'm thinking guards, knights, brigands. What else?
Weapons? Two handed swords. What else?

Questions in the dark.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking fwd to an RPG without stupid evil wizards and without fighting swarms of skeletons every few metres. But wizards, dragons, dungeons, magical artifacts, enchanting, conjuring, skeletons, zombies, elementals, giant rats......quantitatively speaking that's a lot of content and a lot variety removed. What will make up for it? A complex crafting system? Horse training? Bear taming? Sewing, stitching, blacksmithing, playing lute?
Hopefully more complex simulation. For most CRPGs variety only compensates the lack of depth.

If ... strike localization isn't very differentiated - it's pretty QTE-like ... if this system won't be able to provide very localized strikes with differentiated consequences in body physics, it might end up looking nice at first, but ultimately shallow and boring.

Exactly like every other first person game with melee combat (with all their shallow and boring glory).

From what I understand, localized strikes are contextual so if you are attacking the torso of an opponent in plate, the attack is automatically aimed at a gap that makes sense to attack with a sword. Apart from that, from the videos and from what Dan said, you can attack arms, legs, head and torso and then there are also other options such as kicking, punching or half-swording (edit: plus there is even the option of feigning an attack*). That's literally more than almost any other game you can think of and this is only for swords; introduction of other weapons types will naturally increase that variation.

That the particular executions of attacks are QTE-like is sort of an empty argument.

At any rate, it will be impossible to know for sure without playing it when the alpha comes but as a fencing-geek, it already looks far more intriguing and varied to me than anything else I've seen. That combat video shows actual swordplay with collisions and ripostes and it had a flow as opposed to the dull exchanges of back-and-forth bashing in most games where the closest any other first person game has done is well-timed counter-attacks following well-timed blocks.

It did look quite a bit simplistic and basic but I'm giving that to it being a prototype.

*: Check 4:00 in combat video. The PC moves the sword from left to right over his head before commencing with an attack and we are told that the NPC can be tricked into a false expectation with that. That means two things: (1) NPC pays attention and reacts to your moves even before you attack which Dan has also confirmed and we can also presume -or hope- that NPCs will also resort to similar tricks and (2) where you attack from -e.g. from left-overhead or right-overhead does actually matter with regard to whether you will be able to hurt your opponent based on his own position. Localized strikes don't get any more specialized than that.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
I like how the Codex routinely complains about all games being the same, but a game that announces something different is met with the "why can't it be normal?" critique.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Outstanding recreation of medieval architecture and costumes and overall attention to details. Love the look of the characters and dialogue seems fine (although cutscenes are too long, and paraphrasing sucks), the plot is intriguing too. I hope to hike the fuck of this like I did in Morrowind when I was but a larpy youngling, running around killing mudcrabs, collecting books, gems and kwama eggs.

No hint how will character building look like, but I believe it will be as minimalistic as in Gothic 1. Combat, it's hard to guess how it actually feels just by looking at it. It doesn't look like just a set of QTEs, since there is stamina and you can attack different parts of the body.

And yeah, it's hard to exactly pinpoint how will gameplay look like exactly. Will player just follow from one quest marker to another in a beautiful, but barren world, sometimes engaging in duels, or it would be something better?
But still, I want. Cause castles and gambesones.

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
man its too bad these kids arent impressed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom