Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 3 delayed to February 2015

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

While I'm not sure it ever got a specific release date, it was widely assumed that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was going to be released sometime this year. Well, it turns out this particular potato needs to spend another year baking in the oven. From the game's official website:

Release Date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – An Open Letter

Ever since we started working on the third installment in The Witcher franchise, it has been our aim to produce a title that would take our 11 years of experience in creating RPGS and distill them into a quintessence, into a game that would effectively crown those years. At the same time, we have wanted The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to expand creative boundaries, set new benchmarks, develop the genre as a whole. Ultimately, you, the players, must get an unforgettable adventure to experience in a vast, open world – and that’s most important. We’ve created a story that flows naturally, cinematically, rendered it in amazing sound and visuals, while preserving full freedom of choice – all for you. We knew this to be an ambitious plan, but believed we could achieve it by bringing together our team with its creative energies and current gaming platforms with their technical capabilities. A project this vast and complex would inevitably require special care in its final stages, manual fine-tuning of many details, thorough testing time and again.

We recently reexamined what we had achieved thus far, and faced a choice about the game’s final release date. The decision we made was difficult, thoroughly considered, and ultimately clear and obvious. We could have released the game towards the end of this year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for February 2015.

Dear gamers - we know many of you would have liked to play The Witcher 3 sooner, as soon as possible, even. We’re sorry to make you wait longer than you, or we, initially assumed you would. At the same time, we believe the game will prove to be worth the wait and meet the expectations you have of us. We believe The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be an exceptional RPG, one of the best, providing many hours of wonderful entertainment.

Dear shareholders – we are aware of the responsibility that rests with us and thank you for the trust you have granted us thus far. We firmly believe that quality – more than any other factor – determines a game’s success, and that the decision we have made is thus equally valid in business terms.

The Board of CD PROJEKT SA
Does that mean you won't need to make an Enhanced Edition? I'm sure BioWare is breathing a sigh of relief! As for us Codexers, well, we have plenty of games to keep us busy this year for a change, so no big loss.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If they're using the same engine as Witcher 2 it'll be shit since the combat will be awful/floaty. I stopped playing in the second chapter.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If they're using the same engine as Witcher 2 it'll be shit since the combat will be awful/floaty. I stopped playing in the second chapter.

Yep, because everyone knows it is impossible to improve engine. Engines are static things that can never be modified by anyone, ever.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
That's the very first thing they got started on after the TW2 release, i believe the community(ies) yelled pretty loud regarding 2 issues, combat timing and texture pops. The first got better, somewhat, after several patches, but the texture pop only got a modded fix after the Redkit got released... years later FFS.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not referring to visuals I'm referring to how combat 'feels.' Attacks have no weight. Paul_cz , that is not something you can fix in an engine. See, e.g., Gamebryo and Source.

AngryKobold

Arcane
The team need more time to fuck up the lighting even more. Hell, if only... after all there's a business behind the curtain, right.

Dear shareholders! We firmly believe that streamlining – more than any other factor – determines a game’s success, and that the decision we have made is thus equally valid in business terms. Streamlining is not a thing you do in one evening, gentlemen. Man need time to implement those all QTEs in all places possible. And sex scenes are not animating themselves, you know.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
nooooooooooooooo.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They know their target audience: graphic whores. The prettier it looks the less mainstreamers will be concerned about the awful gameplay.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Shit, I was actually looking forward to this. Oh well, now I don't need to upgrade my machine.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not referring to visuals I'm referring to how combat 'feels.' Attacks have no weight. Paul_cz , that is not something you can fix in an engine. See, e.g., Gamebryo and Source.
You have no idea how engines work, do you?

Well, you may have been right if they would not have source code access to the engine they use. But I'm pretty sure that they do. And even if not, the "combat feeling" is not written into an engine. It has to do with camera settings, input handling, user interface, etc. all things an engine does not set in stone. Combat sucking in Fallout 3, for example, was not the fault of the engine.
Screwed up save games, loading times, graphics and physics glitches, performance, those are engine territory.

I'm pretty sure the engine does not have QTE-combat written into its core ;)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Combat felt fine in Xeno Clash, a source game. The guns also felt sufficiently weighty to me in L4D1/2.

Servo

Arcane
This is pretty expected. Is there ever a game that is not delayed?

Paul_cz

Arcane
So your contention that Bethesda and Valve are incompetent (although I fail to see how Source sucks, considering Dark Messiah and its great combat, or Zeno Clash, or L4D..) means that no other studio can improve their engine, ever ?

What is this, bizzaro land? Or do you just like writing about stuff you know nothing about?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Personally, I'm not mad at all. I love the first two games but I'll be the first to admit they were fairly buggy on release. If waiting a while longer means that TW3 will release in "Enhanced Edition" state, then I won't complain a bit. Besides, this gives me more time to save money for PC upgrades (who knows - by early 2015 we might already have 20nm Maxwell GPUs). :P

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It actually bodes well that they know they're going to need more time 6 months before release. Implies a measure of planning I wouldn't have accused CDPR of.

Or do you just like writing about stuff you know nothing about?

He does.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Or do you just like writing about stuff you know nothing about?

Irony. Don't get butthurt because you're a Witcher fanboy.

The guns also felt sufficiently weighty to me in L4D1/2.

You've got to be kidding. Gunplay is weak as shit in those games (same as in HL2, TF2, etc.) -- especially compared to unreal engine.

Servo

Arcane
Not to agree with Metro but I will add that Xeno Clash was a steaming pile of dog shit.

Back on topic. Witcher 3 will suck ass no matter how long it's delayed.

lurker3000

Arcane
For whatever reason I stopped playing W2 at the giant river monster fight. Twice. Something about rolling left attack rolling right attack I could not master.

Gunplay is weak as shit in those games (same as in HL2, TF2, etc.) -- especially compared to unreal engine.

Perhaps it's because most devs use default stock configurations for movement parameters that lead to this conclusion, but otherwise "gunplay" is a specific result of a mix of animation, graphics, sound and movement behaviour. There are no intrinsic qualities exclusive to their respective engines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom