Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Anachronox

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Anachronox; Ion Storm; Tom Hall

Remember Anachronox, the best non-Japanese JRPG? We sure do. That's why we offer you this retrospective feature on Tom Hall's RPG masterpiece, written by esteemed community members Deuce Traveler and VioletShadow. (A word of warning: contains spoilers!) Have a snippet:

VioletShadow: Interesting and well written dialogue is something Anachronox is definitely not short on. Talking to random people or robots might lead you to a side quest, or it might not. My main motivation for striking conversation was never “Let’s see if this nets me a side quest” but rather “I wonder what hilarity awaits me here”. I liked how sometimes an unexpected NPC would offer you important information about the game world, like when a random man in the slums gives you an incredibly sophisticated explanation of the nature of Mystech. Another way of completing side quests and obtaining skills, upgrades and rewards is to use your companions’ "World Skills" (described further on). Depending on what an NPC wants or what his problem is, it will often be very obvious which companion World Skill is required. [...] Anachronox's levelling system works well, with party members becoming satisfyingly powerful towards the end but not absurdly overpowered. Each character has a total of four unique combat skills and weapons which can be upgraded from barely working all the way to excellent. I like how the use of each character’s World Skill is integrated into their weapon and combat skill progression, such as Boots finding a combat skill by lockpicking a chest, or Grumpos yammering nonstop until some monk gives him a better weapon. It's possible to buy upgrades from a store later in the game, but exploration and side quests are the main way of obtaining them. Most of the companions can just use the item that unlocks their combat skill right away, but not all. A couple of them require extra steps that make sense in the context of the character, such as Grumpos needing to meditate using the skill item at the Pay2Pray, or Democratus’ upgrade plans having to be taken to the engineer. It works so much better than ‘character leveled up, skills unlocked’. [...]

Deuce Traveler: Let me answer the most important question: Is the game worth playing? I have to say that it is, and I have to thank VioletShadow for suggesting the game to me. I really did not have high expectations going in, and I wasn’t sure I would enjoy playing it, since I usually care more about the gameplay and combat than about the story and graphics. While there were some tactical options in the game's combat system that helped make the experience more enjoyable, ultimately the story and setting are its biggest selling points, and they are done incredibly well. This is a science fiction game with a certain degree of technobabble, but lots of it is actually based on scientific theory, and the game definitely expects a bit of intellectual maturity from its audience. I also liked the characters, and the way in which the story was told. It is a shame that we will never see a sequel, as it is quite obvious that the tale was meant to continue. I finished the game with about half of the side quests done, around the 35 hour mark.

VioletShadow: Anachronox is a wonderful game; weird, charming, unique, and original in its presentation. I’m glad that I chose this game for Deuce and I to play. Despite a bit of a slow start and often repetitive combat, it manages to provide an engaging experience with superb writing, storytelling, setting, humor, music and voice acting. I had a blast playing it and highly recommend it, especially for those with a soft spot for the bizarre and unconventional. Even though there’s hilarity at every turn, the game also explores serious topics such as corruption, bureaucratic ineffectiveness, the infinite nature of the universe and more, and not half-heartedly.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Anachronox

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
VioletShadow , I summon thee!

demonomicon.jpg

Thanks for posting the article so quickly, Bee!

:dance:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I agree that Democratus is probably the most unique and original party member you will get in any rpg,well,ever
:hero:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I really like stuff like this, retrospective reviews of less known RPGs, made by two bros playing it together. I think this could be a regular thing, and should be even less "formal". I can think of a lot of games deserving the same treatment, like Geneforge 1, Albion, Krondor, etc...

Brofists to all involved. :salute:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I beat this game on Hard, and I feel like a fucking hero. You could lose a fight just because you didn't click the attack icon fast enough.

Fuck this game.
But I still love it.

I wouldn't mind to write a review of some game too, perhaps the unpolished, but lovely Summoner, but since I'm not much of a 100% completionist type, I'd need someone who invested more time into lore and shit.
Would you mind that/Anyone interested in helping me/What should I fucking do to get it published anyway?

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that the Anachronox demo almost ruined the game for me. You simply get lost in the demo, close it, and never buy the whole game. I resisted the urge of skipping the game, and I'm glad I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great review, pretty entertaining to read and honest. I really need to finish Anachronox... got probably about halfway and dropped it for whatever reason (I think during that one shooter sequence, didn't enjoy it much). The game has charm and wit to spare and great atmosphere; it's a shame it's so overlooked.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great review, pretty entertaining to read and honest. I really need to finish Anachronox... got probably about halfway and dropped it for whatever reason (I think during that one shooter sequence, didn't enjoy it much). The game has charm and wit to spare and great atmosphere; it's a shame it's so overlooked.
I came close to giving up during the part where you have to
take the dirty sock to Eddie Who Knows
It really felt like endless enemies and I wasn't as familiar with the combat system so yea.
:negative:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I used to grind in that area during first attempts to beat it.
Then I decided to avoid grinding on hard difficulty to have some challenge.
If only I knew. The horror, the horror...

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never felt the need to grind but I did love making the trip down to the Red Light District just so I
could fight the funny looking things that look like water hoses/plumbing over and over again, so amusing

zwanzig_zwoelf

I never felt the need to grind but I did love making the trip down to the Red Light District just so I
could fight the funny looking things that look like water hoses/plumbing over and over again, so amusing
Well, I wanted to feel POWURFUL, but then I wanted some challenge. Try taking this game on hard.
One of my favorite maps is the fag club moneygrinder in Red Light District (where you have to dance). :lol:
Also, Limbus battle theme FTW.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Too much friendliness in this thread. What the fuck happened with the old Codex? Did we crossed into the faggot land?

Monty

Arcane
Too much friendliness in this thread. What the fuck happened with the old Codex? Did we crossed into the faggot land?
After all the recent venting on Sawyer, W2, Dawn_, Ukraine etc I think there's not much spleen and ire left for poor old Anachronox.

But give the thread 24 hrs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom