Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ultima Codex Interview: Ultima VIII Project Director Mike McShaffry

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Origin Systems; Ultima IX: Ascension; Ultima VIII: Pagan

Keneth Kully's Ultima Codex continues its series of retrospective interviews with the developers of Ultima VIII: Pagan. This time he's gotten hold of Ultima VIII's project director himself, Mike McShaffry. On video, no less!

Since an hour and twenty minutes is probably too long for most people, Kenneth has also helpfully provided a transcript of the interview. Here's an excerpt from it:

UC: I’ll remember to follow up then; I did actually get ahold of Mr. Morris, so I will be talking with him at some point here.

So anyway, kind of related to the darker tone, Ultima 8 was obviously much more action-oriented; the gameplay style was more like what we would call, in modern times, an ARPG, versus some of the more classical RPGs that were the earlier Ultimas. Again, also a fairly significant departure in style, so…what drove that?

MM: Richard played Prince of Persia somewhere around the time that Ultima 7 was wrapping up, or Martian Dreams was wrapping up, and was really smitted with how much fun it was, and how much action it was, and that it still had a lot of RPG elements. So he took a lot of inspiration from that, and he really wanted to try move the game in that direction. Again, it was…definitely Richard that wanted to do that, and he was inspired by Prince of Persia.

UC: Okay. I do recall having heard a little bit about Prince of Persia before. That would probably also explain the jumping puzzles; I recall that game had quite a few of them.

Now…Ultima 8Serpent Isle also had this, and I’m sure there’s examples from earlier in the series too, but there was a lot of cut content from Ultima 8. Richard of course is on record, somewhere, saying that so much was cut from the game that the map, the cloth map, really didn’t even reflect the state of the world of Pagan to any particular degree of accuracy. Do you recall anything in particular that did wind up on the cutting room floor?

MM: Well, I recall that…since we were in a new place, and using new technology, it was harder for us to know how much game we could build and still hit the dates that we wanted to hit. And as it turns out, the dates that we wanted to hit – March of 1994 — that was pretty tricky for us because we really wanted to hit that date, because the merger between Electronic Arts and Origin had just finished. And we knew it was coming; it wasn’t a huge secret. So it became really, really important for us to make those dates.

And I don’t think it’s uncommon for game developers to do a lot of cutting in order to get the game that they really want. The way to look at it is: most games start with a ton of things that everybody wants to put in the game, and then those things that are less important tend to get removed until all that’s left is this really fantastic thing, a beautiful sculpture. It has nothing on it that you don’t want or don’t need.

With Ultima 8′s case, I think we obviously went way too far with cutting, in order to get what we wanted. We didn’t spend enough time getting the game fun before building all the content. That was probably one of our biggest mistakes. And looking back on that now after all I’ve done — working on a ton of other games, especially action platformers and other action games on console — you do spend a lot of time getting the game fun, and then building content. And we just felt like we were under so much pressure, we started building all this content…but the game wasn’t really fun yet! We really should’ve worked on that a little sooner.

And that was also a really typical problem at Origin, and typical of many game developers. They look at the schedule and they go “My God! To build a game of that size, you have to have 35 people working a year of crunch mode or you’re doomed!” And so all these people start coming on to your project and start building all these things, but…it’s not really ready to build yet, and so there’s always this pressure that happens, and Ultima 8 was no exception.

You know, I don’t actually remember why the cloth map didn’t match that much. I would actually look at that as just a little bit more of a disorganization between the exact shape of all the things that were going into the world, and this thing that looked like Pagan that was an island. I don’t think it was anything more than just a little bit of miscommunication: “Oh my gosh! The game design requires this dungeon over here!” Well, you’re not going to change the map to make that work!

Britannia was set in stone for years; it was easy to make Britannia look like Britannia. But this was a new place, and I think that’s what happened.​

The full interview has more honest talk about what went wrong with Ultima VIII and also about Mike's preliminary work on the first iteration of Ultima IX. It's a must-read for early 90s RPG nostalgists.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tags: Origin Systems; Ultima IX: Ascension; Ultima VIII: Pagan

So anyway, kind of related to the darker tone, Ultima 8 was obviously much more action-oriented; the gameplay style was more like what we would call, in modern times, an ARPG, versus some of the more classical RPGs that were the earlier Ultimas. Again, also a fairly significant departure in style, so…what drove that?

MM: Richard played Prince of Persia somewhere around the time that Ultima 7 was wrapping up, or Martian Dreams was wrapping up, and was really smitted with how much fun it was, and how much action it was, and that it still had a lot of RPG elements. So he took a lot of inspiration from that, and he really wanted to try move the game in that direction. Again, it was…definitely Richard that wanted to do that, and he was inspired by Prince of Persia.

:rage:

:mob:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What "RPG elements", I wonder? Potions and a lifebar?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, Zelda was considered an RPG by many "old school" RPG developers, including the Sir-Tech guys - Roe Adams, the designer of Wizardry IV, even wrote an article entitled "Why Zelda is an RPG" or something to that extent. So I guess so, yeah.

Maybe "playing a role" too :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, Zelda was considered an RPG by many "old school" RPG developers, including the Sir-Tech guys - Roe Adams, the designer of Wizardry IV, even wrote an article entitled "Why Zelda is an RPG" or something to that extent. So I guess so, yeah.

Maybe "playing a role" too :P

Hmmm, it probably has more to do with the exploration/dungeon crawling aspect. In both cases. (Nowadays I sometimes find myself thinking of DOOM as a sort of dungeon crawler "RPG". It's certainly much more complex than some modern RPGs.)

But Zelda at least gives you a bunch of tools you can use, so you can play the game in different ways. And it has an "economy" too.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I agree Zelda seems a better fit, at least.

If we got that interview with Carmack one day, it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the "Doom as RPG" angle (assuming he had any). He did come to shooters from RPGs, after all, and he also made or helped make the "Doom RPG" for mobiles.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've never thought about it, but Prince of Persia 1&2 use Cavalier projection (Divine Divinity screenshot below), since the y and z axes are perpendicular while the x-axis is slanted to create the illusion of depth.

The x-axis is fake since you can never move in that direction (expect for claiming stairs to the next level), but then again, most Cavalier projection games probably don't allow you to move (jump) along the z-axis.

gX6K5.jpg

Keldryn

Arcane
What "RPG elements", I wonder? Potions and a lifebar?

Yes. Potions and a lifebar. Plus, a more thoughtful and deliberate approach to gameplay than many action/arcade games of that era. Despite the one-hour time limit to complete the game, it didn't have the hectic pacing of most arcade or console side-scrollers. You needed to be observant and proceed cautiously. The life bar and healing potions meant that a single hit or missed jump didn't kill you and force you to replay a section.

When Garriott talks about "RPG elements" or classifies a game as "an RPG," he's using the terms in very non-precise ways that will get Codexers' panties all in a bunch. Most likely, it probably all comes down to whether or not the game experience shares a similar "feel" with his experiences playing D&D when he was younger.

That's an unsatisfying definition of "an RPG" to most people here, of course.

Ultima VIII was a deeply flawed game and was borderline unplayable upon release. Being the Ultima fan that I was, I did play the game through to completion in its original state. But it was painful. I would save after every successful jump, which would take 30-60 seconds on my PC at the time (486DX-33, with a disk cache running), and reload every time I missed a jump or simply stepped on the wrong pixel next to the water's edge and drowned. I obviously had no social life in 1994.

That being said, I did always admire that Garriott wasn't afraid to take risks with the franchise that built the company. Each new game in the Ultima series would start out with a blank slate. Garriott's approach was to build a new game engine and implement gameplay features, then create a story and world to fit. Each new Ultima was different enough from its predecessors to potentially put off a significant percentage of the established customer base.

Ultima VII was praised for how it allowed the player to interact with the world, but that interaction was essentially limited to using objects (and using object on other objects to make new objects). I think that the intent with Ultima VIII was to bring that level of interactivity to the physical environment in order to create a more believable world and open up new avenues of exploration. Garriott has always been very involved in real-life "adventuring" activities and likely wanted to bring some of the physical aspects of exploration into the game.

McShaffry said it best with "We didn’t spend enough time getting the game fun before building all the content." The most frustrating aspects of the game (jumping, clunky controls, boring combat, spellcasting, etc) could have been iterated on and refined in a single demo area of the game, long before any other areas were being built.

And more time is what the game needed most of all. The seeds of a great game are all in there, but a lot of content was cut out completely while the rest of the game remained underdeveloped. Another six months would have made a world of difference. It certainly wouldn't have been any more of a traditional Ultima, but it would have been a much better game and quite possibly worthy of the Ultima name.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Each new Ultima was different enough from its predecessors to potentially put off a significant percentage of the established customer base.

But not as different as U8 was.

From U3 to U7 they all had a big world with lots of towns that you explore with a party. U8 had one town (inhabited mainly by generic peasants) and one dude with a bucket on his head.

From U3 to U7 each game had a more and more simulated and seamless world. U8 was divided into zones, had no day/night and no schedules.

I reject the sort of sophistry that claims "All the Ultimas were different from each other, so that means it was OKAY for U8 and U9 to be action-RPGs!". No, it was not okay. The series didn't just "change", it went utterly off the rails.

To me, Ultima IX is almost excusable, the product of a company long past its prime, wrestling with newfangled 3D technology that was wreaking havoc all across the gaming industry. But Ultima VIII was an inexcusable betrayal that may have thrown not just the Ultima series, but possibly the entire RPG genre into a crisis. After all, if even the famous Ultima series couldn't sell anymore, what chance did everybody else have?

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
But not as different as U8 was.

Clearly not. It was a much bigger risk than he'd taken with any previous Ultimas. I was expressing my admiration for the fact that Garriott easily could have churned out Ultima games like SSI did with the AD&D "Gold Box" games (9 games in 6 years using essentially the same engine), but didn't. Ultima VIII was definitely a case where it did not work out.

From U3 to U7 they all had a big world with lots of towns that you explore with a party. U8 had one town (inhabited mainly by generic peasants) and one dude with a bucket on his head.

From U3 to U7 each game had a more and more simulated and seamless world. U8 was divided into zones, had no day/night and no schedules.

I could write up a lengthy list of all the ways that U8 is different from U3 to U7, but I could also write up a list of all the ways that U6 to U8 (or U7 to U8) are alike and different from U3 to U5, but I don't see the point. It's just cherry-picking facts, and you can do that to support almost any statement.

I reject the sort of sophistry that claims "All the Ultimas were different from each other, so that means it was OKAY for U8 and U9 to be action-RPGs!". No, it was not okay. The series didn't just "change", it went utterly off the rails.

Good thing that isn't what I was saying. I would agree that Ultima VIII was where the series went off the rails. However, I don't think that's simply because it was more action-oriented. The Ultima Underworld games were arguably more action-oriented than Ultima VIII, but they did it well and didn't dumb down the rest of the game. There are some who think that the series went off the rails with Ultima VII and it's real-time mess of a combat system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I could write up a lengthy list of all the ways that U8 is different from U3 to U7, but I could also write up a list of all the ways that U6 to U8 (or U7 to U8) are alike and different from U3 to U5, but I don't see the point. It's just cherry-picking facts, and you can do that to support almost any statement.

It's not "cherry-picking" to distinguish between changes that are natural and evolutionary, and changes that are blatantly a case of "I, LORD BRITISH, AM TIRED OF BRITANNIA AND TRADITIONAL FANTASY RPGS, AND PRINCE OF PERSIA SOLD GOOD, SO LET'S CHANGE EVERYTHING".

Look, if you showed somebody who'd never heard of Ultima before a series of videos from each of the games in sequence, without identifying them by title, guess which one he'd say didn't belong?

The Ultima Underworld games were arguably more action-oriented than Ultima VIII, but they did it well and didn't dumb down the rest of the game.

I can assure you that fans would have been pretty pissed if they decided to call it Ultima VII instead of Ultima Underworld, and declared that the Ultima series was going to go first person from then on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom