Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Let's learn how not to make totally useless characters in vastly updated UnderRail

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Styg has been rather busy with UnderRail development since our last update, so here are some highlights in easily digestible form:
  • Oddity XP System: Gain XP solely (or additionally, selectable at game start) from finding odd bits and bobs hidden all over the world.
  • Energy shields that work better against higher impact speed attacks.
  • New major urban area and a lot of smaller map additions.
  • A lot of tweaks and additions to the already nicely complex crafting system.
  • Plenty of new feats and many tweaks to the old ones.
  • Many map- and bugfixes.
If you haven't done so already, now's as good a time as any to check this surprisingly good game out and support its continued development.

In other UnderRail news, resident codexer Pope Amole II has started working on a series of videos about character build advice and decided to start with UnderRail:

Read more on UnderRail or complain about getting killed by Rathounds on easy difficulty here.

I've purchased the game, but am waiting for it to be complete before playing it. Good job, Styg and Pope Amole II ! Come on down here so I can fist you. I've got two hands for the job...

Me too. But I played an early build when Styg started selling it. It was already more complete and better than most games I have played in the last 5 years. So I'm saving myself now for the final product, although I don't know will my willpower hold, because it has already vastly changed for the better and has tons of new content. I must say IMO this is the spiritual successor to Fallout 1&2. Haven't had that much fun and awe with the game since I first ran Fallout on my computer in the distant 90's. Writing could be better, but it's not bad and does its purpose, but other parts of the game really hit that sweet spot, especially exploration... It's awesome, a game I want realized to its full potential.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Underrail is easily the best RPG in years. That this site focuses so heavily on high-profile, over-hyped dogshit instead of truly inspired brilliance like this actually makes my blood boil.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Writing could be better

TBH, I don't know why everyone complains about Underrail's writing. Yeah, it's not as witty/smartass as fallout 1+2/arcanum/vtmb and it's not as stylized as the Planescape's one, but not every RPG need to be humorous or behave like a book (because it's not a book and will never be). And once we'll look past the simple style, we'll see such writing gems in there as:

1. Getting your mug punched by Gorsky for disrespect - I dunno, that was totally awesome.

2. The monolith on the ghost island - because exploration heavy rpgs don't really need fancy dialogues, they need mysteries that are interesting to solve.

3. The immortal Elijah and, most importantly, Ezra seemingly being involved in the whole affair (and, of course, the question of Ezra's partner in that affair).

If that's not good enough writing, then what is?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, the writing has improved quite a bit. There's some stuff from this recent update and the previous one which has impressed the shit out of me. They just need a native English speaker as an editor.

*nudge, nudge* Styg

Writing could be better

TBH, I don't know why everyone complains about Underrail's writing. Yeah, it's not as witty/smartass as fallout 1+2/arcanum/vtmb and it's not as stylized as the Planescape's one, but not every RPG need to be humorous or behave like a book (because it's not a book and will never be). And once we'll look past the simple style, we'll see such writing gems in there as:

1. Getting your mug punched by Gorsky for disrespect - I dunno, that was totally awesome.

2. The monolith on the ghost island - because exploration heavy rpgs don't really need fancy dialogues, they need mysteries that are interesting to solve.

3. The immortal Elijah and, most importantly, Ezra seemingly being involved in the whole affair (and, of course, the question of Ezra's partner in that affair).

If that's not good enough writing, then what is?

I agree bro, it's just that I prefer somewhat lengthier and more descriptive dialogue, Underrails can be too straight to the point in some instances... Well, at least it was, since I only played the build when Styg just released it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
it's just that I prefer somewhat lengthier and more descriptive dialogue, Underrails can be too straight to the point in some instances...
it's a postapocalyptic world. people have no-nonsense attitudes and most bullshitters ate bullets a long time ago.
or so i like to think

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy sh... Pope Amole II your accent
:love:
Thanks for the video. I've been trying to hold out till release but fuck it, I'm gonna go buy it from GabeN right now.
GamersGate is better, you get downloadable version from the site and the Steam key. Use the download and gift the key or vice versa.
Its pretty generous, not like them IronTower fags selling only the Steam key. So much for DRM free version.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Use the download and gift the key or vice versa.
i think gg might pay worse, plus you just encouraged somebody to be responsible for one less underrail sale due to gifting. good job.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
i think gg might pay worse, plus you just encouraged somebody to be responsible for one less underrail sale due to gifting. good job.
Meh. Anyone here that wants to buy it gonna buy it to support incline, I bought it twice for example.
For me, I prefer the download version option too cause Steam wont let me play games on the same account on two PCs at the same time eventho it knows I use to login from these two PCs.
So everytime my kid decides to derp in some Steam game on my main PC, Im forced to browse through my GOG, GG or HumbleBundle download library if I wanna play anything on my laptop.
But lots of people here are Steamfags and use it exclusively, so download version wont matter much anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
For me, I prefer the download version option too cause Steam wont let me play games on the same account on two PCs at the same time eventho it knows I use to login from these two PCs.
So everytime my kid decides to derp in some Steam game on my main PC, Im forced to browse through my GOG, GG or HumbleBundle download library if I wanna play anything on my laptop.
make your kid a steam account and use http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Meh. Anyone here that wants to buy it gonna buy it to support incline, I bought it twice for example.
But lots of people here are Steamfags and use it exclusively, so download version wont matter much anyway.

I agree on that bit. My kids are often on my primary machine and it becomes a pain in the ass to have to accommodate Steam bullshit so I can play on my laptop. The steam "Family Sharing" feature lets you run a game on a second PC but not if someone is actually logged into steam on the first PC... meaning you are assumed to be circumventing DRM if you even just log into Steam on two PCs at once. Bullshit.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
make your kid a steam account and use http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/

See above. Steam does not allow the shared game to be played if the other account is even so much as logged in. It doesn't work for me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I agree on that bit. My kids are often on my primary machine and it becomes a pain in the ass to have to accommodate Steam bullshit so I can play on my laptop. The steam "Family Sharing" feature lets you run a game on a second PC but not if someone is actually logged into steam on the first PC... meaning you are assumed to be circumventing DRM if you even just log into Steam on two PCs at once. Bullshit.
This isn't true, or perhaps not anymore.

I'm regularly logged onto 3 computers with my steam account and have no problem using it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Steam does not allow the shared game to be played if the other account is even so much as logged in. It doesn't work for me.
ah well, i was under the impression you get access just can't play at the same time. suckage if it's bound to library usage.
in that case you can always use offline mode. there are guides about setting up steam local lan multiplayer that deal with this.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
This isn't true, or perhaps not anymore.

I'm regularly logged onto 3 computers with my steam account and have no problem using it.
Really? I just get a message Im getting logged out on PC2 cause my kid just started a game on PC 1. Cant even use chat or anything.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really? I just get a message Im getting logged out on PC2 cause my kid just started a game on PC 1. Cant even use chat or anything.
That's the opposite. When a game starts the other accounts can't be used, that is true. However, you can be logged into multiple computers and start a game from any one of them.

You could set your kid up with his own account and just share you games with him, that would solve your problem.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Energy shields that work better against higher impact speed attacks.
Will they attract the Shai Hulud? Oops, wrong setting.

Thanks for the update. I heard of UnderRail on the Codex, but this is the first time I've watched a video of the game. The XP system definitely looks interesting, so I'm adding UnderRail to my RPG Incline 2014 list.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
That's the opposite. When a game starts the other accounts can't be used, that is true. However, you can be logged into multiple computers and start a game from any one of them.

You could set your kid up with his own account and just share you games with him, that would solve your problem.

If my kid on his account wants to play a game I shared with him, I cannot be playing any game on my account or he is denied. I don't know what value the sharing feature brings at all, it's shit.

tuluse

Arcane
If my kid on his account wants to play a game I shared with him, I cannot be playing any game on my account or he is denied. I don't know what value the sharing feature brings at all, it's shit.
There are a few minor benefits, but this isn't the steam thread so I'm going to drop it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom