Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Knights of the Old Republic declared non-canon by Lucasarts - probably won't see sequels

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Star Wars; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

In a blog post entitled "The Legendary Star Wars Expanded Universe Turns a New Page", Lucasarts have declared the 'expanded universe' of Star Wars, including Obsidian Entertainment's Knights of the Old Republic game series, as non-canon. This in itself doesn't really matter. But Lucasarts also declared a 'fuck fanfic'-policy, prohibiting the development of any non-canon products within the Star Wars universe going forward:

Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.​

So if Feargus Urquhart ever acquires his dream project for Obsidian - developing another Star Wars game - it will not be a continuation of the KotOR saga.

10997.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
KoTor games had a good story, but they definitely fucked up the setting. The story was set 4000 years before the movies, yet everything looked exactly the same... even though the book & comics are quite clear that stuff was waaaaay more primitive, with light-sabers having to be connected to power-packs, sith using crystal swords and everything having a more unique look:

Memit_Nadill4.jpg

Naga%27sMeditationChamber.jpg
sith-20.jpg

Ignoring KOTOR means that there's chance of seeing this being properly represented one day...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't see any mention of a 'fuck fanfic' policy (not that that would be a terrible thing), and in general this sort of seems like non-news after reading the blog post. It read more like 'we are not obligated to take your shitty fanfic into account when we make movies.'

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't see any mention of a 'fuck fanfic' policy (not that that would be a terrible thing), and in general this sort of seems like non-news after reading the blog post. It read more like 'we are not obligated to take your shitty fanfic into account when we make movies.'
you should read it again, then.
they've made a creative department overseeing all things star wars going forward. stuff like KotOR will be labeled legacy and put in the archives. everything going forward will be connected to the movies (including upcoming ones) and the clone wars.
the news value is that we won't see KotOR again, and that any potential future RPG in the universe (obsidian or not) will be heavily outlined by lucasarts and not the development studio.
the fuck fanfic policy is my wording.

DeepOcean

Arcane
you should read it again, then.
they've made a creative department overseeing all things star wars going forward. stuff like KotOR will be labeled legacy and put in the archives. everything going forward will be connected to the movies (including upcoming ones) and the clone wars.
the news value is that we won't see KotOR again, and that any potential future RPG in the universe (obsidian or not) will be heavily outlined by lucasarts and not the development studio.
the fuck fanfic policy is my wording.
I think it is a good thing, it is way more probable that it will be Bioware and not Obsidian that is going to do the next Star Wars "RPG". At least, we won't discover that Darth Vader was a gay guy with daddy issues and Princess Leia has a secret passion for Chewbacca.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Way to destroy the only thing that kept the whole Star Wars universe relatively interesting. Self-immolation is always hilarious when performed by large companies, but this instance is particularly retarded.

Deleted member 7219

The best bits of the EU were found in the video games. Jedi Knight, TIE Fighter, and yes, KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

Lucasfilm's stance on them changes nothing. I still own these games and can play them whenever I want. I was still hoping for a TIE Fighter 2, Jedi Knight 3 and KOTOR 3 but I knew they weren't going to be made anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
after the last 3 films, the only thing star wars is good for is some lulz and :deadhorse:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fuck Lucas, fuck Disney and fuck all of'yo motherfuckers who support this shit.

It's nothing new though. It's nothing new...

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Tags: Star Wars; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

In a blog post entitled "The Legendary Star Wars Expanded Universe Turns a New Page", Lucasarts have declared the 'expanded universe' of Star Wars, including Obsidian Entertainment's Knights of the Old Republic game series, as non-canon. This in itself doesn't really matter. But Lucasarts also declared a 'fuck fanfic'-policy, prohibiting the development of any non-canon products within the Star Wars universe going forward:

Now, with an exciting future filled with new cinematic installments of Star Wars, all aspects of Star Wars storytelling moving forward will be connected. Under Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy's direction, the company for the first time ever has formed a story group to oversee and coordinate all Star Wars creative development.​

So if Feargus Urquhart ever acquires his dream project for Obsidian - developing another Star Wars game - it will not be a continuation of the KotOR saga.

10997.png

This is actually a good thing, if it splits Star Wars in to Universe 12345x< like Marvel and DC comics do. I've thought they've needed to do this for a long time, so the lore will be consistent, instead of going from grim dark [Kotor 2] to good guys win, bad guys lose, happy fun time [Star Wars Legacy] because it creates a retarded, inconsistent universe, where the rules are always shifting.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Fuck Lucas, fuck Disney and fuck all of'yo motherfuckers who support this shit.

It's nothing new though. It's nothing new...

It's more than 30 years of EU content, they'll go from non-canon, to Universe 2/B, guaranteed. Disney, Lucas or Lucasarts can't negate everything, even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
they've made a creative department overseeing all things star wars going forward.

stuff like KotOR will be labeled legacy and put in the archives.

Are you sure that the second sentence follows from the first?
what

The KOTOR games were set in the Old Republic. Do you really think Disney gives a fuck if somebody continues to tell the story of something that happened thousands of years before the new movies that they're making? Their new "creative department" will most likely let writers do whatever they want with Old Republic stuff. TOR does still exist after all, and is still receiving new content. I don't think they're about to send a bunch of overseers to Bioware to start changing stuff.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
they've made a creative department overseeing all things star wars going forward.

stuff like KotOR will be labeled legacy and put in the archives.

Are you sure that the second sentence follows from the first?
what

What what.

The KOTOR games were set in the Old Republic. Do you really think Disney gives a fuck if somebody continues to tell the story of something that happened thousands of years before the new movies that they're making? Their new "creative department" will most likely let writers do whatever they want with Old Republic stuff. TOR does still exist after all, and is still receiving new content. I don't think they're about to send a bunch of overseers to Bioware to start changing stuff.
key words being 'going forward'.

Do you really think Disney gives a fuck if somebody continues to tell the story of something that happened thousands of years before the new movies that they're making?
yes. that's what this is all about. they can't stop fanfiction and the free word, but they won't license unmanaged spin-off products. for instance, I imagine they will want almost everything following the upcoming movies to tie in to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I do believe that there will be no KOTOR 3, but not because of any Disney "fuck fanfic" policy, but because they're going to set aside the "Old Republic" setting altogether in favor of the new movies they're making. That's a separate issue entirely.

This policy is targeted primarily at the various Expanded Universe novels set after ROTJ. Nobody at Disney is saying "sorry, Exar Kun isn't canon anymore" or anything like that. There's no reason for them NOT to keep all that stuff, unless they decide to create their own thousands of years of history from scratch, and why would they?

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
unless they decide to create their own thousands of years of history from scratch, and why would they?
because they are re-booting the franchise.
they want to do their "star trek into darkness" without fans going "this story is impossible" because of something in some popular but (now) un-canon novel.

it's true this mostly targets novels and comics and junk I'll personally never touch anyway. but it does include games too.
Nobody at Disney is saying "sorry, Exar Kun isn't canon anymore" or anything like that.
this creative strategy means they very well could, and actually indicates they will (perhaps not exar kun I dunno wtf that is), regardless of what you think.

Diablo169

Arcane
Meh literally the only really good thing about the EU was Thrawn. If they bring him into cannon then nothing else of major value was lost.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
because they are re-booting the franchise.

It's an odd choice to reboot a franchise by starting with a trilogy of movies that's a sequel to the original trilogy, and starring the same actors to boot.

this creative strategy means they very well could, and actually indicates they will

'k, if you say so.

As you can probably tell, I'm uncomfortable with the Codex posting unsubstantiated click-bait as news, but since you're being stubborn, I won't press it any further.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I find this "canon/non-canon" thing to be very irrelevant and hilarious. I mean, what difference does it make? Why would anyone endorse a story as being "more true" than any other? All stories are just that, stories, fiction, imaginary events! None of them actually happened in reality! :P

Sometimes, it scares me the way people take things like fiction stories too seriously, and the butthurt that ensues. :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom