Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Knights of the Old Republic declared non-canon by Lucasarts - probably won't see sequels

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ok, what are the chances of Disney wiping out the entire Old Republic continuity (which includes Exar Kun)?
of course they won't wipe out the entire old republic continuity, just like they won't wipe out the entire eu. but they are sanctioning any and all fucking with eu, much like ea did in swtor with kotor2 and are putting an official end on all things expanded universe. if there will be a kotor 3 it will not be an actual sequel but a sequel to whatever they reshape the other two games to and it will never contain anything similar to the story in 2 since the chances of something like that becoming actual sanctioned canon are non-existent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
of course they won't wipe out the entire old republic continuity, just like they won't wipe out the entire eu.

Is that really an "of course"? The entire Old Republic continuity is in the Expanded Universe. A naive interpretation of the announcement in OP would lead one to believe that yes, it's gone forever, all of it.

But I can't see that happening, unless either:

1) Somebody at Disney really does have big, big plans to rewrite the entire history of the setting.

or

2) The more likely possibility, somebody at Disney decides that delving into the ancient history of the setting, instead of focusing on the more well known movie continuity, isn't commercially worthwhile. "Nobody but nerds cares about that stuff, let's make more stuff about Luke and Vader instead."

Of course, they wouldn't need to wipe the entire Old Republic from canon to do that, but who knows. Look what happened to Planescape.

if there will be a kotor 3 it will not be an actual sequel but a sequel to whatever they reshape the other two games to and it will never contain anything similar to the story in 2 since the chances of something like that becoming actual sanctioned canon are non-existent.

Sure, but I think we know that would have happened anyway (as it already did with TOR's retcons)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, what are the chances of Disney wiping out the entire Old Republic continuity (which includes Exar Kun)? Consider that they only recently signed an exclusivity deal with EA, who happen to be operating a very expensive MMO set in that continuity. Consider also that the Old Republic continuity does nothing to interfere with their new movies.

The announcement says:

That is a distinction that they are making.
I think the point is they're not going to pay for or license anything new not directly related to the current projects Disney had. So there will be no new games set in the Old Republic.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nothing but the film series was ever real canon anyway. Same thing for Star Trek shows and movies. Everything else is always flavor material.

Also I stopped caring about Star Wars the minute I walked out of the theater from seeing Phantom Menace.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Nothing but the film series was ever real canon anyway. Same thing for Star Trek shows and movies. Everything else is always flavor material.

Also I stopped caring about Star Wars the minute I walked out of the theater from seeing Phantom Menace.
Yeah, but Star Trek had like 1000 episodes and 15 movies of material. SW core was always limited, and anybody who was really into it eventually got a flavor of EU. Even if some/most of it is shit, it's still better then prequels, and as such is a valuable commodity.

Even if this news is overblown... it's nothing new. It's nothing new...

:negative:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy and am sad to see it being erased from SW history. I always thought they had someone overseeing the whole SW universe to make sure it all "fit together" but the blog makes it sound like it didn't. All the EU stuff (West End Games, video games, books, etc.) seemed to fit together pretty well and I did enjoy that "one inter-connected" universe. The story never ended and I've always been a sucker for SW ever since I saw it at a drive-in theater back in 1977.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy and am sad to see it being erased from SW history. I always thought they had someone overseeing the whole SW universe to make sure it all "fit together" but the blog makes it sound like it didn't. All the EU stuff (West End Games, video games, books, etc.) seemed to fit together pretty well and I did enjoy that "one inter-connected" universe. The story never ended and I've always been a sucker for SW ever since I saw it at a drive-in theater back in 1977.

Thrawn is popular enough they will surely reboot him in the new continuity. That Thrawn trilogy are the only SW novels I ever read. They were pretty decent.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
KotOR2 was already destroyed by an MMO/comics, I've not paid attention to anything else really. Can't say the news bothers me, but the anger/sadness of close followers of all things EU should be a laugh.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's okay, I already declared all the recent Star Wars movies and shows non-canon anyway.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The only good thing to come out of those crappy 3D clone wars shit cartoons was Cad Bane.
For those not in the know, here he is:

Easily a better bounty hunter than that fag Boba Fett. More badass, better lines, and definitely more intimidating.
What was Fett's appeal honestly? And let's face it, whatever badassery that he could have had, Lucas fucking ruined it.
Both with his shitty back story and his Return of the Jedi death.

Other than that, good for Star Wars to get rid of all the shit.
And like everyone else said, I'm glad that pretty much everything has been made non-cannon now. I'm glad.
The universe got too fucking crowded and too fucking stupid.

Eyeball

Arcane
The only good thing to come out of those crappy 3D clone wars shit cartoons was Cad Bane.
For those not in the know, here he is:

Easily a better bounty hunter than that fag Boba Fett. More badass, better lines, and definitely more intimidating.
What was Fett's appeal honestly? And let's face it, whatever badassery that he could have had, Lucas fucking ruined it.
Both with his shitty back story and his Return of the Jedi death.

Other than that, good for Star Wars to get rid of all the shit.
And like everyone else said, I'm glad that pretty much everything has been made non-cannon now. I'm glad.
The universe got too fucking crowded and too fucking stupid.

Gee, looks like Rogue Trooper's really lost some muscle mass. Nice hat, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So... Kyle Katarn is gone?
:negative:
Don't be silly. We will always have Kyle Katarn in our games. Noone can take those away.

I don't really see what is the problem. We have the books, the comics, the games, the p'n'p rpgs of the EU, and nobody can take them away. Lucas says that those are non-canon? So fucking what? The only thing we will miss out on are additional, probably shit books and games based on the EU. But will still have the old ones.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't really see what is the problem. We have the books, the comics, the games, the p'n'p rpgs of the EU, and nobody can take them away. Lucas says that those are non-canon? So fucking what? The only thing we will miss out on are additional, probably shit books and games based on the EU. But will still have the old ones.
This, so very much. Let's face it, the number of Star Wars related books/movies/games/whatever worth dealing with can be counted on both hands. Whether they're declared canon or not will never change that. Nothing can diminish the quality of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight or KOTOR 2. So why do we care what some suits have to say about their canonicity? Let the suits declade that the abomination that is Ep.2 is canon, let the rabid fanboys weep bloody tears because they consider the Word of God regarding canonicity to be the be all end all of what they're allowed to enjoy. Me, I'll be rewatching ESB while happily not-rewatching the prequel trilogy and happily enjoying the good old games I listed up there.

Eyeball

Arcane
British comic book character. Genetically enhanced supersoldier from the future. Doesn't wear shirts.
rogue-souther-colour-red.jpg

Monty

Arcane
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy and am sad to see it being erased from SW history. I always thought they had someone overseeing the whole SW universe to make sure it all "fit together" but the blog makes it sound like it didn't.
They did actually have a team doing this before Disney arrived - they had a planning group covering the major story arcs and this guy for the detailed sperging:
http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/02/meet-leland-chee-form-lucasfilm-story.html

fSRs8gX.jpg

To Star Wars fans, Chee is the Keeper of the Holocron, arguably the leading expert on everything that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. His official title is continuity database administrator for the Lucas Licensing arm of Lucasfilm—which means Chee keeps meticulous track of not just the six live-action movies but also cartoons, TV specials, scores of videogames and reference books, and hundreds of novels and comics.
Careful nurture of the Star Wars canon—thousands of years of story time, running through all the bits and pieces of merchandise—has kept the franchise popular for decades.
So Chee spends three-quarters of his typical workday consulting or updating the Holocron. He also approves packaging designs, scans novels for errors, and creates Talmudic charts and documents addressing such issues as which Jedi were still alive during the Clone Wars and how long it takes a spaceship to get from Dagobah, where Yoda trained Luke Skywalker, to Luke's homeworld of Tatooine. The Keeper of the Holocron takes this very seriously: "Someone has to be able to say, 'Luke Skywalker would not have that color of lightsaber.'"
Lucasfilm has to plan ahead and think long term. "We don't reboot. We don't start from scratch," Chee says. "When Chewbacca died, he died." (Poor Chewie yowled his last yowl in 25 ABY, when he was stuck on the planet Sernpidal as it collided with its moon, Dobido, in the novel Vector Prime, the first book in the New Jedi Order series. His death is now canon.)

"The thing about Star Wars is that there's one universe," Chee says. "Everyone wants to know stuff, like, where did Mace Windu get that purple lightsaber? We want to establish that there's one and only one answer."

Pretty amusing seeing that stuff about one universe and no rebooting now. And I guess his database is now about as useful as a Grimoire backer reward.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy and am sad to see it being erased from SW history. I always thought they had someone overseeing the whole SW universe to make sure it all "fit together" but the blog makes it sound like it didn't.
They did actually have a team doing this before Disney arrived - they had a planning group covering the major story arcs and this guy for the detailed sperging:
http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/02/meet-leland-chee-form-lucasfilm-story.html

fSRs8gX.jpg

To Star Wars fans, Chee is the Keeper of the Holocron, arguably the leading expert on everything that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. His official title is continuity database administrator for the Lucas Licensing arm of Lucasfilm—which means Chee keeps meticulous track of not just the six live-action movies but also cartoons, TV specials, scores of videogames and reference books, and hundreds of novels and comics.
Careful nurture of the Star Wars canon—thousands of years of story time, running through all the bits and pieces of merchandise—has kept the franchise popular for decades.
So Chee spends three-quarters of his typical workday consulting or updating the Holocron. He also approves packaging designs, scans novels for errors, and creates Talmudic charts and documents addressing such issues as which Jedi were still alive during the Clone Wars and how long it takes a spaceship to get from Dagobah, where Yoda trained Luke Skywalker, to Luke's homeworld of Tatooine. The Keeper of the Holocron takes this very seriously: "Someone has to be able to say, 'Luke Skywalker would not have that color of lightsaber.'"
Lucasfilm has to plan ahead and think long term. "We don't reboot. We don't start from scratch," Chee says. "When Chewbacca died, he died." (Poor Chewie yowled his last yowl in 25 ABY, when he was stuck on the planet Sernpidal as it collided with its moon, Dobido, in the novel Vector Prime, the first book in the New Jedi Order series. His death is now canon.)

"The thing about Star Wars is that there's one universe," Chee says. "Everyone wants to know stuff, like, where did Mace Windu get that purple lightsaber? We want to establish that there's one and only one answer."

Pretty amusing seeing that stuff about one universe and no rebooting now. And I guess his database is now about as useful as a Grimoire backer reward.

Man, out of everyone who might be bummed about this EU stuff, this guy must feel be really depressed right now. All those years wasted...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom