Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Knights of the Old Republic declared non-canon by Lucasarts - probably won't see sequels

anus_pounder

Arcane
After seeing what ToR did to my beloved KotOR2, I welcome this decision with open arms.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy and am sad to see it being erased from SW history. I always thought they had someone overseeing the whole SW universe to make sure it all "fit together" but the blog makes it sound like it didn't.
They did actually have a team doing this before Disney arrived - they had a planning group covering the major story arcs and this guy for the detailed sperging:
http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/02/meet-leland-chee-form-lucasfilm-story.html

fSRs8gX.jpg

To Star Wars fans, Chee is the Keeper of the Holocron, arguably the leading expert on everything that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. His official title is continuity database administrator for the Lucas Licensing arm of Lucasfilm—which means Chee keeps meticulous track of not just the six live-action movies but also cartoons, TV specials, scores of videogames and reference books, and hundreds of novels and comics.
Careful nurture of the Star Wars canon—thousands of years of story time, running through all the bits and pieces of merchandise—has kept the franchise popular for decades.
So Chee spends three-quarters of his typical workday consulting or updating the Holocron. He also approves packaging designs, scans novels for errors, and creates Talmudic charts and documents addressing such issues as which Jedi were still alive during the Clone Wars and how long it takes a spaceship to get from Dagobah, where Yoda trained Luke Skywalker, to Luke's homeworld of Tatooine. The Keeper of the Holocron takes this very seriously: "Someone has to be able to say, 'Luke Skywalker would not have that color of lightsaber.'"
Lucasfilm has to plan ahead and think long term. "We don't reboot. We don't start from scratch," Chee says. "When Chewbacca died, he died." (Poor Chewie yowled his last yowl in 25 ABY, when he was stuck on the planet Sernpidal as it collided with its moon, Dobido, in the novel Vector Prime, the first book in the New Jedi Order series. His death is now canon.)

"The thing about Star Wars is that there's one universe," Chee says. "Everyone wants to know stuff, like, where did Mace Windu get that purple lightsaber? We want to establish that there's one and only one answer."

Pretty amusing seeing that stuff about one universe and no rebooting now. And I guess his database is now about as useful as a Grimoire backer reward.

Man, out of everyone who might be bummed about this EU stuff, this guy must feel be really depressed right now. All those years wasted...
Did those guys got a decent paycheck for this, at least? Don't tell me they did this out of pure nerd sperging and being dumb sheep.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They did actually have a team doing this before Disney arrived - they had a planning group covering the major story arcs and this guy for the detailed sperging:

fSRs8gX.jpg

To Star Wars fans, Chee is the Keeper of the Holocron, arguably the leading expert on everything that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. His official title is continuity database administrator for the Lucas Licensing arm of Lucasfilm—which means Chee keeps meticulous track of not just the six live-action movies but also cartoons, TV specials, scores of videogames and reference books, and hundreds of novels and comics.
Make note of the single-wide bed.

Copper

Savant
It's actually sort of weird how a setting that's so heavily inspired by (superficial readings of) more Eastern themes has close to zero actual Asians in it, just dodgy aliens and Natalie Portman doing Memoirs of a Monarch. Guess George just couldn't let go of the black/white dichotomy. :smug:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

fSRs8gX.jpg

Make note of the single-wide bed.

Lol. Literally came back to this thread to post this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After seeing what ToR did to my beloved KotOR2, I welcome this decision with open arms.
ToR is canon in this new universe.

:troll:

No official statement has been made yet on the canonicity of TOR. As an "ongoing" product, it's in kind of a gray area.

I'd note however, that if TOR is declared canon, then by extension, so are the events of the KOTOR games (in broad strokes, at least), and of course the entire "Old Republic" setting.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Lol I hope that fans that ate up that shit fanfic content for the past 30 years are upset. I read some of it as a kid before my 10 year old self realized how bad it was. Not that I expect the new content to be any better but these star wars EU drones who argue about which shitty book or comic is the "real" way things played out are the worst

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would rather have Lando's kids be the stars than Han and Leia's. The only good aspect of nuking the Expanded Universe from orbit was that it wiped the slate clean on post-ROTJ's unrelenting focus on the Skywalker and Solo families. Seriously, how many family members do they have to personally have involved overthrowing and restoring the galactic Republic before the broader galactic community shows them to the edge of the galaxy?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I want movies about bounty hunters that aren't the gay ass boba fett and shit mandalorians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom