Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Oblivion and Fallout.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.gamesplanet.be>GamesPlanet</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamesplanet.be/index.php?main=gp_article&info=gp_article&articleId=531&chk=5OqEhh8AZ2>interview</a> with Pete Hines about <a href=http://www.theelderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> and the literally "billions" classes it offers. Fallout 3 gets a mention too.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Of course we will find new monsters during our quests, but will we also find new weapons to slay them with? Which is your favourite new addition?</b>
<br>
Yes, there are new weapons and materials in the game. I don’t want to give away any spoilers just yet. My favourite? I’ve always been a sword and shield guy, but I also love using a bow and with the new system we have for using bows, it’s hard to put away.</blockquote>Yep, if you are playing a ranged character, using bows is much better than using crossbows. The new system made a huge difference.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Last question, could you give us some information about Fallout 3? I know many RPG-fans are desperatly waiting to get some news about this game.</b>
<br>
I would say to them that you can take a look at Oblivion in terms of what to expect from us.(Oh, shit! - VD) What I mean is, we take our projects seriously. We make sure we put in the requisite time to do them right. And, we tend not to really talk about them or even let people know we’re doing them until we’re a long way into development and actually have things we can show and talk about. So with Fallout 3, folks were made aware of it because of the announcement, but from a development standpoint we’re still in pre-production mode. It will be a LONG time before we start talking to folks about what we’re up to. I know they’d like more info, but as I said we really don’t plan to say anything until we’ve made some real progress.</blockquote><b>Translation:</b>
<br>
We take our projects seriously - Some companies make games that aren't accessible to or easy to understand by all age groups, which is very irresponsible. At Bethesda, we are trying to make games as simple as possible, decision-free! Don't know which faction to pick? Join and lead all 4! Bow vs Xbow dilemma is giving you a hard time? We are here to help, it's easy to make a choice when you don't have one! Can't figure out what skill to pick: Short Blade or Long Blade? Who can? It's a game, not a god-damn puzzle. Pick one - Blade! One size - fits all!
<br>
<br>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't understand why people give a shit about crossbows and axes being taken out. They SUCKED. Swords and bows were better anyway, for fuck's sake. Why bitch?

It just better not be like Fable.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's the beauty of Oblivion: no matter how long your rant is, there still will be something you forgot to mention.

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
I don't understand why people give a shit about crossbows and axes being taken out. They SUCKED. Swords and bows were better anyway, for fuck's sake. Why bitch?
First, they didn't suck. Second, even if they did in your opinion, it's kinda always better to fix the issue (damage, range, balance, variety, whatever) than remove them completely. Third, it's about being able to choose, not about the merits of each particular weapon. By your logic, why have all the classes in DnD? Fighter is the best, the other ones suck.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Surlent said:
I could have sworn I've seen this intereview somewhere else.
Damn! Oh, well...

fnordcircle said:
Sometimes you are really reaching, VD. Don't worry, I still think you are hardcore though.
Why? I posted facts, you can make your own conclusions. If you made a negative conclusion, it's only because of the facts.

obediah

Erudite
jiujitsu said:

It just better not be like Fable.

Bad juijitsu! Don't be dumb!

Should they have left technology of arcanum just because spells killed better? Just go play Bards Tale NG over and over if you only want the best weapon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Oblivion is great cause the stalkers here hate it!

Surlent

Liturgist
I don't understand why people give a shit about crossbows and axes being taken out. They SUCKED.
Hopefully they'll add Xbows later in mod or expansion. Wasn't the main reason to leave them out, so bows could be made something really fancy ? Shame Pete didn't go on details about them this time. Still axes and Xbows are part of most used medieval weapons, but guess they don't rhyme with fantasy cliches as well as swords or bows.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
<a href=http://www.gamesplanet.be>GamesPlanet</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamesplanet.be/index.php?main=gp_article&info=gp_article&articleId=531&chk=5OqEhh8AZ2>interview</a> with Pete Hines about <a href=http://www.theelderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a> and the literally "billions" classes it offers. Fallout 3 gets a mention too.

The quote is "Once again, the number of possible characters you can create is way up in the billions." He's talking about the variety of characters, not just classes.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
First, they didn't suck. Second, even if they did in your opinion, it's kinda always better to fix the issue (damage, range, balance, variety, whatever) than remove them completely. Third, it's about being able to choose, not about the merits of each particular weapon. By your logic, why have all the classes in DnD? Fighter is the best, the other ones suck.

Still nitpicky. There are other things to choose. You make it sound like the game is completely ruined because there are no axes or crossbows. Those aren't the only other weapons besides swords and bows.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Vault Dweller said:

The quote is "Once again, the number of possible characters you can create is way up in the billions." He's talking about the variety of characters, not just classes.
My bad, it's a typo. The quote is still hilarious though, wouldn't you agree?

Vault Dweller

Developer
jiujitsu said:
Vault Dweller said:

Still nitpicky. There are other things to choose. You make it sound like the game is completely ruined because there are no axes or crossbows. Those aren't the only other weapons besides swords and bows.
Made it sound? How? You are reading way too much into it.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Why? I posted facts, you can make your own conclusions. If you made a negative conclusion, it's only because of the facts.

You're joking, right? I can't believe that you would be so disingenuous as to remove yourself from the conclusion when you are no longer even able to limit the editorial to the pre or post quote "news summary" but are compelled to inject your vitriol into the quote itself.

I name you Rex Exitium and Pete Hines is your Cleve Blakemore

Vault Dweller

Developer
Taoreich said:
Vault Dweller said:

You're joking, right? I can't believe that you would be so disingenuous as to remove yourself from the conclusion when you are no longer even able to limit the editorial to the pre or post quote "news summary" but are compelled to inject your vitriol into the quote itself.

I name you Rex Exitium and Pete Hines is your Cleve Blakemore
No longer even able? My vitriol? Anyway, I pointed out that I didn't make a generic "Oblivion would suck" comment, but listed a number of "features" thus allowing readers to form their own conclusions rather than relying on mine.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Made it sound? How? You are reading way too much into it.

Well, when it's brought up in every single Oblivion conversation...

corvax

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
No longer even able? My vitriol? Anyway, I pointed out that I didn't make a generic "Oblivion would suck" comment, but listed a number of "features" thus allowing readers to form their own conclusions rather than relying on mine.
You listing the "features" is equivalent to making "Oblivion sucks" comment. At least don't be a punk and admit it.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well I would agree with jiujitsu, but I'm used to rpgcodex negativity about everything since I was a member Duck and Cover.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
Vault Dweller said:
You listing the "features" is equivalent to making "Oblivion sucks" comment. At least don't be a punk and admit it.
While the outcome is the same, the approach is different. Oblivion sucks would be my opinion, while facts are, well, facts. I admit that I don't expect much from Oblivion, but unlike some idiots who like/hate games just because, I judge and evaluate upcoming games based on the info available.

I'm glad you agree that the facts spell out Oblivion sucks though. :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom