Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Oblivion and Fallout.

LlamaGod

Cipher
To summarize: Oblivion sucks.

Seven

Erudite
What’s all the spazzing about VD’s reporting style; this is the codex, that staff’s expected to add their special blend of antagonism to the news bits.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Somehow it's my fault that Bethesda dumbs games down. Go figure.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
An entertaining thread for your amusement:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=137856

wow, i didn't realize how much they're taking out until i've seen it all listed in one place...

is this how you make the console version "as good" as the pc version? by taking stuff out until the console can handle it?
OMG! Teh secret is out!

Some people mentioned an auto-reload feature that kicks in after you kill an important NPC. Neat.

Seven

Erudite
Some people mentioned an auto-reload feature that kicks in after you kill an important NPC. Neat.

Oh yippeee, it's hard enough to kill important NPCs' but now the game'll automatically reload just to spite my hard work, go figure. At least it's a change from invincible NPCs. I haven't decided which sucks worse though.

Spazmo

Erudite
is this how you make the console version "as good" as the pc version? by taking stuff out until the console can handle it?

That's hardly fair. The TES interface and controls have been crap for years and didn't need to be adapted to consoles that much. And saying the next gen consoles--which probably have more room on the game disc whereas PC developers probably worry about not having too many CDs and keeping install size from getting too bloated--can't have as much content as PC games is a bit dubious. And so is blaming console gamers and their legendary stupidity, because honestly, PC gamers are really just as dumb, especially where the two markets overlap.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Spazmo, by interface do you mean the graphical user interface? Because between Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion (which we haven't shown yet), the GUIs couldn't be more different...

kris

Arcane
jiujitsu said:
Still nitpicky. There are other things to choose. You make it sound like the game is completely ruined because there are no axes or crossbows. Those aren't the only other weapons besides swords and bows.

You made it sound like anything but the "power gamers choice" is surplus to requirements.

Spazmo

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Spazmo, by interface do you mean the graphical user interface? Because between Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion (which we haven't shown yet), the GUIs couldn't be more different...

No, I mean the essential nature of the interface (which may be the wrong word). Basically, that's its first or third person, which fits on consoles a lot better than cursor driven isometric.

Drakron

Arcane
I belive that what he meant.

Of course that Morrowind was the first true 3d of the series and I liked the 3rd person view but playing on 3rd person was a pain, the system was really to be played on a 1st person view.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volly mode ON]

whine. whine. bitch. moan. deja vu. next.

r00fles!"

R00fles!

Atrokkus

Erudite
No, a good interface can improve the usability of a game
Sure, but can it improve its RPG components? nope.
There are many good RPGs with clunky interface (Arcanum, for instance), but it doesn't really affect their RPG value.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh, I agree. There are plenty of good games with crap interfaces (any of the Vogel ones come to mind).
But improving the usability of an interface would improve the overall experience. In that case, an already good game would be even better. :)
So maybe you're right, maybe it is non-essential in the sense that getting the rpg mechanics and other stuff right is of higher priority, but surely it is essential that a certain level of usability be achieved for the game to be playable. A sufficiently bad interface would affect the rpg experience.

Question:
There must be some games out there surely that had such low usability factors that it put off people from finding the "good gaming" underneath.
Anyone got any examples?

corvax

Augur
Shagnak said:
Question:
There must be some games out there surely that had such low usability factors that it put off people from finding the "good gaming" underneath.
Anyone got any examples?
Gothic. Designing the interface is not where one should get "creative".

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Shagnak said:
Question:
Anyone got any examples?

Defender of the Crown

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
hussar said:
Gothic. Designing the interface is not where one should get "creative".
Right, except Gothic's interface lacked craftsmanship first and foremost. I liked the design, if only the inteface would've worked properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom