Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher 3 E3 Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Rock Paper Shotgun's man in the US, Nathan Grayson, has written about his impressions of the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt demo build that was shown at E3 this week. He's ("ever so slightly") worried about the game. Here's one of the reasons why:

I love gigantic open worlds more than the next guy (who doesn’t know shit about open worlds, tbh), but they do have their drawbacks. For instance, how do you fill such a massive place – in this case, one 50 times the size of The Witcher 2 – with interesting stuff to do? Some of it is bound to be cookie cutter, right?

It sort of felt that way in our demo as Geralt bounced from “I’ll help you, but only if you do me this favor” fetch quest to fetch quest. Each character’s motivation made sense in the context of the story, but it began to feel a little tedious as we inched ever closer to our actual objective: a tiny sliver of information on the “ashen-haired girl” who seems to be responsible for the titular Wild Hunt, which Geralt aims to stop. Like, yes, I understand, everybody wants something, but can we get to the point?

That said, the quest chain had some wickedly interesting (and downright wicked) characters, including a childlike “godling” whose internal monologue never stayed internal for long (“Defecating into the sunrise, my favorite part of the day” was one of many choice lines) and beautiful Lady spirits who were… not what they seemed.

The other upside here? CD Projekt is apparently trying extremely hard to avoid the sorts of “kill X number of whatever” quests that pop up in, say, Skyrim. Apparently every quest will have some kind of story.

“We call [those Skyrim quests] ‘FedEx Quests,’ and we never want to have them in the game,” game director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz told RPS. “We’ve created a bunch of encounters you can find while wandering the world, and every one of these encounters has its own small storyline. We want to create the feeling that characters really live in this world.”

“We’ve got a lot of more traditional quests, and also we created the plan B of monster hunting, which is how Witchers make money. So you have to gather information about the monster you’re preparing to take down, you’ve got to collect special ingredients for alchemy and potions – those kinds of things for each unique monster. We don’t want to make generic quests where you do the same stuff repeatedly. It’s better to just leave the area with the wandering monsters and the same quests behind. We want to give you a feeling like you’re in a real world. If you change a part of that world permanently, hooray! There will be other stuff for you to do [elsewhere].”​

He also had issues with the game's combat, writing and animations. But there are some things about it that impressed him as well:

So yes, I’m a little worried about a few elements of The Witcher 3, but largely it remains one of my most anticipated games in ages. During the E3 demo I managed to find even more reasons to stand in awe of its mucky, grease-stained radiance. For instance:
  • Cities feel amazingly alive – You thought Skyrim’s “Radiant” AI was impressive? Or if not impressive then at least a cut above the mindless mobs that tend to populate videogame worlds? Well, Witcher 3′s variation on the theme looked magnificently natural. Children shouted and played tag, adults walked and chatted, fires crackled, water wheels churned, etc, etc, etc. It was so palpably alive. Our presenter noted that NPCs react the all sorts of things, too: the time of day, weather, Geralt punching them - every valid and rational human concern. Afterward, I went to a demo of Dragon Age Inquisition, and the difference was night and day. DA’s denizens were stuck in their tracks like they were born and raised in a vat of quicksand. No sudden movements. Really just no… movements in general, actually.
  • Geralt can climb stuff now – Cliffs and hillsides getting in your way? No problem. Like a sprightly assassin or Notch’s envisioning of a horse, Geralt’s got enough spring in his step to vault up/over whatever pitiful rock formation might stand in his way. He doesn’t animate quite as well as, say, the main character of Assassin’s Creed Unity, but it’s a useful skill nonetheless.
  • The draw distance is absurd – Our presenter stood at the top of a cliff after vanquishing its harpy residents, and from there he pointed to a tree on a mountain seemingly miles away. “You can go explore that,” he said.
  • Environmental interaction is apparently a big focus – CD Projekt claims that it always wants to offer you some sort of environmental option in most encounters to add extra oomph to your combat arsenal. During the demo, I saw bee hives you could knock from trees and explosive objects you could tickle into combustive laughter with a few light sparks from Geralt’s fire spell. However, there was then a bit where the presenter tried to burn away some path-blocking roots with said fire spell and it didn’t work, which didn’t even make sense to him. So these things aren’t entirely consistent yet.
  • Day/night doesn’t just affect townsfolk – It changes monsters too. Quick word of advice: maybe don’t plunge into Clearly Demonic Forest when the sun’s down. Just a hunch, is all.
  • People react to your accomplishments – After our presenter slew a werewolf, entered a cave, and came back out, villagers had gathered around the werewolf’s body. Makes sense: it was causing them no end of trouble, and I imagine they were quite happy to see it go.
Nathan apparently spent an entire day in CD Projekt's booth, so there'll be more about Witcher 3 from RPS in the coming days. Hopefully it will not consist entirely of SJW whining.

Delterius

Arcane
Cities feel amazingly alive – You thought Skyrim’s “Radiant” AI was impressive?

Nope.

Or if not impressive then at least a cut above the mindless mobs that tend to populate videogame worlds?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Cities feel amazingly alive – You thought Skyrim’s “Radiant” AI was impressive? Or if not impressive then at least a cut above the mindless mobs that tend to populate videogame worlds? Well, Witcher 3′s variation on the theme looked magnificently natural. Children shouted and played tag, adults walked and chatted, fires crackled, water wheels churned, etc, etc, etc. It was so palpably alive. Our presenter noted that NPCs react the all sorts of things, too: the time of day, weather, Geralt punching them - every valid and rational human concern. Afterward, I went to a demo of Dragon Age Inquisition, and the difference was night and day. DA’s denizens were stuck in their tracks like they were born and raised in a vat of quicksand. No sudden movements. Really just no… movements in general, actually.
It's sad that this seems like an innovation to him. It's been this way since the first Witcher game. It's called actually putting forth effort into world design. Bioware gonna Bioware.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ultima 7 had a pretty lively world and that came out ages ago. Dunno why people use Elder Scrolls as a measure for all-things-open-world.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ultima 7 had a pretty lively world and that came out ages ago. Dunno why people use Elder Scrolls as a measure for all-things-open-world.
Probably because 90% of their audience has never even heard of Ultima. It's annoying, but understandable. Now, if he started claiming that TES revolutionized the genre with Radiant AI, I might suggest he put a sock in his lie hole and do some research.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Gothic had great implementation of NPC schedules for the most part. They'd eat, drink, sleep, smoke weed, sharpen their swords, clean with a broom, cook, enjoy a private dance show (Gomez), practice swinging their swords around etc. was amazed the first time I played it.

Black_Willow

Arcane
POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grayson's awful, but he's likely a stopped clock when it comes to combat in this thing.

Too bad about the animations, though I imagine they'll be improve somewhat from now until release/the inevitable enchanced edition.

agris

Arcane
Patron
To my eyes, it looks like W3 is borrowing some of the popular elements from Gothic. Climbable obstacles, natural wilderness and focus on exploration, etc. Not that gothic 1 & 2 invented those things, but that was certainly some of the games' stronger points.

along with the combat system. +M

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gothic had great implementation of NPC schedules for the most part. They'd eat, drink, sleep, smoke weed, sharpen their swords, clean with a broom, cook, enjoy a private dance show (Gomez), practice swinging their swords around etc.
you forgot they also
4REVWoY.jpg

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Gothic had great implementation of NPC schedules for the most part. They'd eat, drink, sleep, smoke weed, sharpen their swords, clean with a broom, cook, enjoy a private dance show (Gomez), practice swinging their swords around etc.
you forgot they also
4REVWoY.jpg

No, I think he mentioned it:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There are still plenty of brothels – Ah, The Witcher’s balancing act between a desire for “mature” depictions of sex and an almost juvenile fixation on it continues.

Yeah, because a medieval fantasy world really wouldn't have brothels. I mean, it's not like brothels and prostitution where prevalent in medieval times, right? Oh, wait.

Anyway, game seems to be shaping up. Probably a good decision not to let the current crop of gaming journalists actually play the demo. The whining about unclear quests, lack of hints and guidance would've drowned out any other sound. At least now they could simply focus on brothels, crude jokes and facial animations.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
None of the women did though. Something to reach for in the next-gen, perhaps? All this talk of equality in gaming and I haven't seen a single woman squat in the bushes! Triss even did it in the books ffs, CDPR are the perfect developers to close this gender gap!

PatataFamilia

Novice
Grayson is just a terrible, terrible author. I'm not even excited for the Witcher 3, and the whole piece felt like petty carping to support a sensationalist headline. And for the love of God, Gothic was consistently 10 years ahead of its time, I don't know why people don't demand the stuff its AI did as standard.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Replaying Witcher 2 this weekend, bought it from GOG for little more than 2 euros. I dont remember the writing and script to be this bad, truly atrocious. The kings speech at the start of the castle assault ending with "this i like" is one of those moments where you wish that the entire story department be deported to Potato prison camp.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Replaying Witcher 2 this weekend, bought it from GOG for little more than 2 euros. I dont remember the writing and script to be this bad, truly atrocious. The kings speech at the start of the castle assault ending with "this i like" is one of those moments where you wish that the entire story department be deported to Potato prison camp.
Funny, that "This I like!" was a moment I really started liking this king.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny, that "This I like!" was a moment I really started liking this king.

He's supposed to be talking down to his men, who are a bunch of low-born commoners, showing that he's one of them. Some people cannot into context

Kem0sabe

Arcane
He's supposed to be talking down to his men, who are a bunch of low-born commoners, showing that he's one of them. Some people cannot into context
He's talking to his assembled high born Knights and nobles at the top of the tower. Maybe you should beg someone the game in the beg thread, so as to know what you are talking about.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Foltest is not supposed to well spoken/read, Roche even corrects him on some verb use in the prologue (can't remember where and when exactly).

Overall, a pretty likeable and well presented character, one of the better portrayals of kings when it comes to video games IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom