Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Atari doing GREAT

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Atari

<a href="http://www.atari.com">Atari</a> has released their <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050809/nytu204.html">first quarter results</a>. It's pretty neat:
<br>
<blockquote>Net revenue for the quarter ended June 30, 2005, was $24.2 million, excluding approximately $0.3 million of revenue from the discontinued operations of Humongous, versus $108.1 million, excluding approximately $2.2 million of revenue from the discontinued operations of Humongous, in the comparable year-earlier period. The change in quarterly revenue is primarily attributable to the June 2004 release of DRIV3R (PS2 and Xbox), which ranked as the #2 PS2 title and #5 Xbox title in the U.S., and the Company's decision to release fewer SKUs in fiscal 2006 compared to fiscal 2005 in order to focus on releasing higher quality titles. Publishing net revenue excluding discontinued operations was $12.8 million versus $97.5 million in the prior year, while distribution revenue was $11.4 million versus $10.6 million in the comparable year-earlier period.
<br>
<br>
Net loss for the fiscal 2006 first quarter was $32.8 million, or $0.27 per share, compared to net income of $12.1 million, or $0.10 per share, in the year earlier period. Loss from continuing operations for the first quarter of fiscal 2006 was $30.5 million, or $0.25 per share, compared to income from continuing operations of $14.1 million, or $0.12 per share, in fiscal 2005. The Company previously announced on February 9, 2005, that it would begin to take steps to streamline its U.S. operations, including the closing of its studios in Santa Monica, California and Beverly, Massachusetts. In doing so, the Company recorded restructuring charges of $2.2 million in the first quarter of 2006. Excluding restructuring charges and losses from discontinued operations, the loss for the first quarter of fiscal 2006 would have been $28.3 million, or $0.23 per share.</blockquote>
<br>
Ah, the old <i>We're releasing less games but they're higher quality</i> line. I know when I think <A href="http://www.atari.com">Atari</a>, I think <i>quality</i>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

bryce777

Erudite
It's nice to be vindicated. I wonder how many thousands of gamers have wondered how they could pawn off such crap as games and remain in business??? Well, in the long run, they can't operate that way....

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Yipes, 1.81 to 1.41 just this morning, and still plummeting.

I think'll i go try that Fahrenheit demo i downloaded, see if that'll be what saves the day for Atari :)

Lemon

Arcane
Rat Keeng said:
Yipes, 1.81 to 1.41 just this morning, and still plummeting.

I think'll i go try that Fahrenheit demo i downloaded, see if that'll be what saves the day for Atari :)

Its actually well done, the one Atari game on my wishlist.

Rulion

Liturgist
Didn't Atari do something with Boiling Point? The sales could've been a lot better if the bugs had been ironed out more : /

Lemon

Arcane
Screaming_life said:
unfortunately yes, although you wouldn't know it! ;)

What was the situation with release? Did Atari need it released by a fast date?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If it drops below a dollar a share, it'll get delisted for that. So, even if they meet the requirements for NASDAQ in having a CFO, they could still get delisted if it keeps dropping.

magerette

Novice
Atari is the perfect example of name brand recognition marketing --a large group of bean-counters advising a larger group of suits to buy a well-known name (Coleman, Troybuilt, Betty Crocker, etc ad nauseum) make a cheap & dirty somewhat similar product, and market it under the aegis of a now-vanished symbol of quality.

Sometime it works for awhile, but not enough people are really as stupid as they need to be for it to work very long.

Drakron

Arcane
I rather see time being spend on improving the game over making a tech demo for what is nothing but a media event.

Remenber that a ENTIRE PLANET was scrap so they could make a demo for E3.

What Feargus is saying is what all CEO would say (I doubt he means that, I belive he prefered they would not had to assemble a demo in such a short time), the fact Atari looked at happened with KotOR2 and E3 and decided to not make the same mistake (Atari propaganda machine is not rolling up for NwN2 just yet, that game will come up AFTER the next E3 and its only in 2006 there is the need to start advertise the game, starting that in mid 2005 is pretty much a waste of resources, expecialy if for some reason it gets pushed back) shows at least SOMEONE at Atari have some brains, the same could not be said for LucasArts that got a huge credibility blow with KotOR2 and that hurst then more since with Ep 3 out they cannot just cash in more game-movie tie ins.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, I'm not sure they have to make a special demo just for the show. They could show what they've got working and only show that. Kind of a "This is where we are, though this and that still need to be implimented and finished."

Drakron

Arcane
They would, at this stage I doubt they have completed maps and models ... they would have to make a demo level just to show what they completed so far (and likely its not much).

That would take time, from what I seen on posts developers start working of E3 material about a month before the event.

Kuato

Liturgist
Drakron said:
They would, at this stage I doubt they have completed maps and models ... they would have to make a demo level just to show what they completed so far (and likely its not much).

That would take time, from what I seen on posts developers start working of E3 material about a month before the event.

This is a sequel we are talking about???...right

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... c&start=50

"1) One of the reasons that there has not been much about NWN2 around is that Marketing and PR for the title was being done out of the Santa Monica office. That office has gone away and they are hiring and getting people up to speed in New York. I would have like to show the product at E3, but it just didn't work out that way. "

The Atari Santa Monica office has been closed for about 7 months I would have hoped that PR and marketing mess would be sorted out by now and he does actually say he would like to show the product... it must be more Atari fumbles or it really just isnt ready to show.

Drakron

Arcane
If you want to know I question the need to push a game two YEARS before its released.

What is the god damn point? I can understand a ENGINE since they want to start sellingit as fast as they can but a game? did I need to remind Fable?

I remenber Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness that when it was delayed around 2 months before released the Eidos advertisement machine was in high gear, all that money gone down the drain.

Its a sequal but really Obsidien have said (or given the impression) its a new engine so they really sould not have much to show, unless you want to see the sequel of "deer goes into a waterfall" NwN showcase ...

Kuato

Liturgist
Drakron said:
If you want to know I question the need to push a game two YEARS before its released.

Ok my bad I didn't know NWN2 was going to be a late summer 2007 release IGN is falsely listing it as a TBA 2006

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom