Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Long Live the Queen

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Hanako Games; Long Live the Queen

Back in the decline-plagued year of 2011, with no proper RPGs like Divinity: Original Sin or tactical RPGs like Blackguards in sight (and with Age of Decadence remaining the all-too-easy subject of "vaporware" jokes), our very own Darth Roxor did a review of the CYOA RPG Academagia. Our readers generally prefer "full-fledged" RPGs, or at least those with good combat or interesting "choices & consequences" (C&C for short), so Academagia didn't really gain a lot of traction around these parts. However, CYOA RPGs are still RPGs, at least to some extent, and so it shouldn't be too surprising that another one, Long Live the Queen!, has caught our attention.

In this quick review, esteemed community member Deuce Traveler tells us what's good about the game -- but also what's bad, and not particularly exciting, about it. Have a snippet:

And this is my biggest issue with Long Live the Queen. There is no way for you to predict the various skills that you will need to survive. In one playthrough, I had done well building up my courtly skills, only to fall victim to an arrow that I could not avoid due to a lack of archery skills, nor treat the resulting wound due to a lack of battlefield medicine skills. So, I loaded a previous save and pumped my skills up just enough to be able to live through the attack and move on. The game is won on the basis of trial and error rather than any tactical decision making on part of the player. It really is just a choose-your-own-adventure (CYOA) visual novel. Due to its lack of randomization or tactical considerations, the skill checks are simply another CYOA element. Even the somewhat similar skill building simulator, the infamous Slave Maker 3, has more randomization, and that game is a fan project.

That brings me to my final point. Long Live the Queen is a fine story as seen through Elodie's eyes, and the character works as a quirky slate for the player. However, the supporting cast is full of unsympathetic arseholes. Even Elodie's father hides critical information from her, despite having a vested interest in her survival. Her friends are fickle, the nobility behave as vultures over a rotting carcass, and the peasants are either dull or violent. With so many unlikable characters, I often found myself playing Elodie as a martial character, mastering warfare, weapons, and magic. To the game's credit, however, you can play as a much more cultured and peaceable character and still win. I have read, for instance, that there is a winning path for someone who becomes a master musician. You can also develop romantic relationships with many of the different characters, despite a range of ages and genders. Because of this, the game has some replay value for those willing to work through its trial-and-error gameplay loop.​

Read the full review: RPG Codex Review: Long Live the Queen

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The skill system seems pretty ambitious. How long did it take to clear the game?

And what about functions like fast-forwarding what you've already seen, saving & tracking endings?

Is there DLC for additional costumes?

Thanks.

:troll:
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

papillon

Hanako Games
Developer
Fast-forwarding was always possible but sometimes awkward. In more recent versions, there's a handy 'Skip Ahead' button which will come up on the lower-right corner of the dialog box when reading text you've seen before, and if clicked will fast-forward through the event and stop if you hit new text. Recent versions also display a breakdown of which skills are affected by your current mood, since some people were having trouble doing all the math, and it was meant to be obvious. (If you want a list of all skills affected by all moods, you still have to compile that yourself.)

There are in-game tools that track all the death graphics you've seen, all the achievements you've unlocked, and all the epilogue graphics you've unlocked, which isn't quite the same as tracking endings (because what, exactly, counts as a single ending is complicated). There are even yet still more bonus options and dialogues available beyond that list, but they're minor.

You unlock a lot of costumes through gameplay and they have stat effects, but no DLC for ones beyond that.

Don Peste

Arcane
The time has come, guys. We need to make a change.

DEkpu4z06PBP

Spoit

Novice
I could have sworn trial and error skill allocation was one of the main selling points of Age of Decadence

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Keeping it reals, yo? If someone wants hentai, they can always review the Legend of Queen Opala. Just remember the pics.

As for me, I'm planning to review ADOM here soon, which should placate the purists. Now all I have to do is get a damn character to survive... :(

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This game is more of an RPG than anything Bioware has made since BG2.
The trial-and-error nature of the game is quite off-putting though, especially since it takes quite a lot of mouse-clicks to perform each "trial".
More non-lethal fail states might make it more interesting to play.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Elodie has best skillset I ever seen in games, period

Too bad it's so random and game is deadlier than AoD

Mortmal

Arcane
I think its a subtle message from the staff meaning "Write game reviews slackers, or more of this is coming"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't wanna be mean but this /really/ isn't an RPG in any sense of the word. I mean, I can understand stuff like jRPGs (it's in the name!) and those obscure Japanese dungeon crawlers, but come one, this and that weird side-ways magic sidescroller, they don't really fit the concept of this site at all. Sometimes no content is better than content that's gonna make us look weird.

If you include this you gotta be consequent and write a Princess Maker 2 review, too.

papillon

Hanako Games
Developer
I don't wanna be mean but this /really/ isn't an RPG in any sense of the word.

To quote from an old blog post on the subject:

If the ongoing plot of LLTQ were written in gamebook format, you would need a character sheet to play it. Your character skills are absolutely crucial at all times to what text you see, what options you have, how your choices turn out. You even have, to some extent, an inventory of items that boost your stats. And if you're playing through an adventure with a character sheet and inventory, it becomes harder to argue that this isn't, in fact, some kind of RPG.

Said post also explains why I didn't want to promote it as one, even though it does qualify under some definitions.

When it comes to sites like GOG and Steam, though, you have to pick from a pretty small list of categories. Simulation and RPG are the closest available matches.

It will get even more confusing if and when I ever finish my current project, which may get 'RPG' out of desperation and everyone will be angry about it. (You control a squad of characters. They have skills and equipment. Succeeding in challenges gives you XP which you use to level-up their skills. The problem is, the challenges are solving mysteries. There's no category in existence to cover this.)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I drink your tears and they nourish me. This is why you put a woman in charge.

This game is also an RPG from pretty much every possible pespective. Come on, entertain me.

Stupid furry.

Meh. I'm not entertained.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom