Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo and Thomas Beekers interviewed by Guy Cocker

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Brother None; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Following in the footsteps of their comrades from Obsidian, Brian Fargo and his faithful underling Thomas "Brother None" Beekers recently visited London, where they too were interviewed by Wired UK's Guy Cocker. As before, much of the interview is dedicated to general gaming industry gossip, with only about 13 minutes (from around 16:45 to 30:05) of actual Wasteland 2 discussion.

There's not much new information about the game itself in those 15 minutes, but Brian does reveal that the game's final Early Access update is due to release this week. He also reveals that the game's release might be delayed until September, due to physical distribution-related reasons. Tsk tsk.

To me, though, the most enjoyable part of the interview was listening to Brian and Thomas geek out about a bunch of post-apocalyptic movies. Did you know that Interplay nearly secured the rights to develop the Mad Max 4 video game back in the 90s? Not that it would have ever actually been made, of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Wasteland 2 UK media blitzing at Kotaku.uk: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/07/30/wasteland-2-almost-many-words-bible

It seems from talking to him that Fargo has kept close control over Wasteland 2's tone, and though he has not restricted the writers in terms of subject matter, he has attempted to preserve its maturity. "I’ve removed stuff I thought was juvenile," he says, "like a guy called the Sperminator, or something like that." Wasteland 2 isn't lazy about the choices it offers players, and it mustn't be lazy in its writing, either.

:lol:

Repressed Homosexual
Is anyone sick of reading about how awesome they think they are for two and a half years now? Just make the game and shut up already with all the self-aggrandizement.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
More Wasteland 2 UK media blitzing at Kotaku.uk: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/07/30/wasteland-2-almost-many-words-bible

It seems from talking to him that Fargo has kept close control over Wasteland 2's tone, and though he has not restricted the writers in terms of subject matter, he has attempted to preserve its maturity. "I’ve removed stuff I thought was juvenile," he says, "like a guy called the Sperminator, or something like that." Wasteland 2 isn't lazy about the choices it offers players, and it mustn't be lazy in its writing, either.

The character's still in the game, he got renamed. ;)

Free Bard's Tale key to anyone who can figure it out. :P

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
"oh nice I'll be able to listen to this on my phone" - android chrome refuses to play flash media. Thx open source movement

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Haha, Brother None told me who it is, but I won't say.

P.S. I forgot to say, the podcast also reveals the name of the game's main villain. At the very end.

Repressed Homosexual

This right here shows that the game will be a mess. Most of the writers I'm sure are hipsters who go over the top with immaturity, goofiness, and meta references. It will be just like a horrid indie game.

At least the Larian guys don't go over the top with their pop culture references and meta content and have elegant writing to go along with it. They know how not to make it cringe worthy. These guys get it. I have no hope that InXile does. Belgium, the country of incline comic books and storied artists like Jacques Brel, surely has a much better culture than most of America, whose culture is now based on popular YouTube videos and Gawker. I'm now expecting a ton of cringe-worthy stuff.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, so now it's Thomas Beekers? All grown up and not using any nom de guerres.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

I REQUEST A NEW TAG FOR sea :lol:

edit:
Very good and funny interview. Brother None will get some love and hate here :)

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Apparently the overall budget was double the KS money.
This has already been covered in the W2 thread. However, it's not double the KS money, it's double the "original budget" Which was KS - physical goods and fees.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Tbut Brian does reveal that the game's final Early Access update is due to release this week. He also reveals that the game's release might be delayed until September, due to physical distribution-related reasons

the guy's gotta do what he's gotta do to make his company money, I get that, but c'mon. people are gonna look back at this kind of announcement in ten years and be completely baffled that anyone would even want hard copies, let alone that a release would be delayed over them.

Weasel
I thought the idea behind getting Deep Silver involved was for them to handle the hassles of physical distribution. Although I suppose the problem could be caused by Inexile not getting the final version to them in good time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom