Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #58: On the balance patch, and inXile's next game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Some of you may have noticed that inXile have been soliciting balancing feedback for Wasteland 2 over the past few weeks. Some may also have guessed that they're not asking for it without reason. Today's Kickstarter update officially confirms that a small team of developers, including lead designer Chris Keenan, continue to work on a major balancing patch for Wasteland 2. And not just that, but they've also begun work on inXile's next game! I quote:

Hello again Rangers!

Wasteland 2 has been out for just a few months now and we continue to be very humbled with the love it's been getting from our backers and fans! It’s been great going on Twitter and our forums, reading your comments and experiences in the wasteland. There are quite a few creative custom parties running around Arizona and Los Angeles…

We’ve released three major patches since the last Kickstarter update, with over a thousand improvements to the game. The team has tackled things like major optimization passes, UI usability improvements, as well as tracking down bugs. Wasteland 2 is an incredibly large and complex game, with many moving parts, and we've been working down to the smallest details (including typos).

Many of the talented team members at inXile who worked on Wasteland 2 have moved full time on to Torment: Tides of Numenera, but we still have a dedicated crew giving Wasteland 2 the love and attention it deserves. Amongst other things, we intend to do a serious balance pass in the future that should tighten up some of the loose ends. This process will easily take a month to complete (have I mentioned this game is massive?) so we will need a solid window of time to complete it between updates.

Along with continued tuning of Wasteland 2, myself and a few others at the studio are beginning to work on another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now! It’s still quite early in the process, but we will have more news on that in the New Year.
Passionately demanded, eh? Can I assume that means Bard's Tale 4? Also, I wonder if this Wasteland 2 balance pass will end up including aimed shots or not. I guess we'll see! Check out the rest of the update for information on the game's Collector's Edition, which is finally shipping out.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A month huh? It's taking Larian 5+ months. Though it depends on the extent of the rebalancing.

Hopefully inXile is smarter about it. You're American, don't let me down.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wouldnt it be cool if Fargo had managed to get the rights to Baldur's Gate? Or maybe a proper Bard's Tale!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fargo already owns The Bards Tale trademark. He however does not own the IP of the original Bards Tale (EA owns that).

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The spirit of Bard's Tale melted with the time traveling rpg.

My money. All of it. I'll live in a tent in the woods to throw even more at it.

I feel a sudden urge to hunt down nazis in berlin with monks and warriors clad in chain mail again.
When automap was just a kind of ASCII help to draw your maps.:obviously::)

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Like I told Chris Keenan on Twitter recently, I really hope they're working on a proper new Bard's Tale. Like, omg pretty please.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
K, Brother None, I see that mention that the DRM-Free disk will include the latest patches. Will you hold on on the printing until after you're done with all the patching and rebalancing?
Seems pointless to send a disk with only half the patches on it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Along with continued tuning of Wasteland 2, myself and a few others at the studio are beginning to work on another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now! It’s still quite early in the process, but we will have more news on that in the New Year.
Passionately demanded, eh? Can I assume that means Bard's Tale 4?
Yeah, my money is on another Bard's Tale too. It could be a sequel to 2004 Bard's Tale story-wise, but a proper RPG mechanics-wise (although probably not a blobber). I would definitely be interested in a game like that, to be honest, as I quite enjoyed the 2004 game ('Beer! Beer! Beer!') in terms of writing and humour.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
K, Brother None, I see that mention that the DRM-Free disk will include the latest patches. Will you hold on on the printing until after you're done with all the patching and rebalancing?
Seems pointless to send a disk with only half the patches on it.
Yeah more or less, we held off on those so we could ship a more patched up version. Don't feel like there's much rush with those and the people getting them would probably appreciate little-to-any need to patch. I don't know about "all" but we'll probably hold off for at least one or two more major patches.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cool. As far as I'm concerned you can print them exactly after Fargo says "k, fags, we're done with this shit gaem" and puts a stop to any work on it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
a proper RPG mechanics-wise (although probably not a blobber)

That'd be like making an isometric Wizardry.

If they feel like making another iso RPG, they should go for Meantime or any other franchise, not BT. Unless they specifically want me to hate them, of course. :P

Darkzone

Arcane
YES! Waitland 2 box is finally in my hands. Or as Koch Media has writen WATELAND.

I personally hope for the comeback of 'The Bard', perhaps within Scarabrea with a party and with proper RPG mechanics and a good not linear story. The Bard was the best funny character that i have ever met in a cRPG.
And as always i choose me, because this is a very logical choice and an excellent one.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
They will take another vote, the pendulum will swing, and we will get BT RTwP and cooldowns.

On a more serious note, it makes good sense to reuse, revamp, refine the WL2, TToN combat and I imagine that will factor in decisions.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YES! Waitland 2 box is finally in my hands. Or as Koch Media has writen WATELAND.

I personally hope for the comeback of 'The Bard', perhaps within Scarabrea with a party and with proper RPG mechanics and a good not linear story. The Bard was the best funny character that i have ever met in a cRPG.
And as always i choose me, because this is a very logical choice and an excellent one.

Post some pics...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom