Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age III: Inquisition

The years 2011-2012 weren't too hot for BioWare. The triple whammy of the rushed and poorly received Dragon Age II, The Old Republic MMO which predictably failed to "kill" World of Warcraft and quickly went free-to-play, and the Mass Effect 3 ending fiasco was a serious blow to the company's reputation. Realizing that the BioWare brand was on the verge of being tarnished beyond repair, the corporate overlords at Electronic Arts wisely decided to give the Edmonton studio extra time to finish their next game, the third installment in the Dragon Age franchise, which was formally announced in late 2012 as Dragon Age: Inquisition.

DA:I was released in November 2014 to unanimous acclaim from the mainstream gaming media. 8/10s, 9/10s and 10/10s were the rule of the day. And at the year's end, it won GOTY award after GOTY award. By all accounts, BioWare had finally achieved the holy grail of roleplaying game design, combining the open worlds of Bethesda and Ubisoft with the storytelling of BioWare to create the perfect RPG.

...well, almost all accounts. More than two months ago, we dispatched Delterius, a scarred veteran of many battles on BSN, to closely examine this new masterpiece for himself. With the help of kris and Vault Dweller, he composed a comprehensive report detailing his findings. Without further ado, it's time for...

12233.jpg

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:greatjob:
Edit: Should also at least mention that the review is well-done, though it only confirms my feelings that Bioware is now a 100% risk averse company that will never create an interesting or innovative game again.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
To bash the dead horse even more than it deserves to be . The 9/10 reviews arent fair but saying its not fun even as a mainstream game is wrong too. Its really well designed for the mainstream crowd, even if i'd get an assassin creed instead for the same price .I think if you like world of warcraft and usually bioware games you will like this console game .Those mainstream games are really repetitive now , all of them , always full of those filler quests to extend artificially the game lifespan.
Its not as bad as the review says, the quest compass doesnt point exactly at locations like in previous games .Holding position a nightmare indeed . Its not made to give tactical orders , rush in and smash buttons.Yes combat is mindless, like in wastelands 2, 3 actions to spam, rince and repeat.
Exploration bad ? come on there was quite good levell designs there, cant say the art department slacks.

Shin

Cipher
I borrowed this game from a P2P site and came to the conclusion that it really wasn't worth my time. You can't even bunnyhop in this game; probably an engine limitation.

Weasel
Just reading the review is depressing, can't imagine what playing it would be like.

Anyway, :salute: for a thorough job

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think DA:I is not a CRPG -> it is an Action Adventure with some roleplaying game elements and a few MMO-like mechanics.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Good review. You are right, Dragon Age: Inquisition just isn't fun. An awful combat system, shitty roleplaying mechanics, boring quests. Some good bits in the main story and some good companion quests do not make up for everything else that is wrong with the game.

It definitely did not deserve the acclaim it got. At best, it's a 6/10 or 7/10 game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, that was refreshing. I was never going to buy this game anyway, but a little validity is always nice.

It definitely did not deserve the acclaim it got. At best, it's a 6/10 or 7/10 game.

Eh, 7/10 would still be pushing it. Unless you really like MMOs, like, get a hardon whenever you gather 5 goblin testicles.

kazgar

Arcane
image should be a clickable link to the review.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom