Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Franny Frogpill

Educated
Lots of descriptive text with some cautious complaining about mediocrity... when I was hoping for "TERRIBAD" with acid and chuckles.
Somewhat disappointed here - but thanks for the effort.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think the review is cautious at all, and the description it conveys is that of a bad game, not a merely mediocre one.

What it isn't is LULZTASTIC.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't think the review is cautious at all, and the description it convey is that of a bad game, not a merely mediocre one.

What it isn't is LULZTASTIC.
there's a difference between LULZTASTIC and boring =/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, at least you have all those rich homies to make things more exciting, eh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kris

Arcane
Deltrius did a good job on the screenshots.

I still feel I should make a collection of the most hilarious stupidities in a screenplay of screenshots.

Revenant

Everyone who played this game (except for reviewing purposes) is a moron

Even the review was boring as fuck

Although DU's shitty pranks didn't help to read it, maybe it was slightly better

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Articles look so much better on the watch.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Yes the Watch version was easier to read..

A solid review, agree with most of 1t. 1ts maybe a bit serious, which is not bad perse, but 1t could have used more sprinklings of edgy codexian stabs. On the other hand in this state 1t is easily digestible for casual readers too. Good work.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Excellent article. The game felt to me like a grinding mmo experience. And if there's one thing I dislike in gaming it's grinding mmo experiences. I recently read a nice Dragon Age 2 retrospective where the author praised the tight story, the characterization and the fact that an rpg wasn't about saving the world but instead all about a family story and family ties within that story.

That tighter, more personal story is exactly what I enjoyed in that game and in a game like the first witcher. Therefore it felt like a massive letdown to see the return of the EPIC plot. Which really is as run of the mill as it gets. Moreso since the whole faction management that at least seemed to promise some originality turned out to be so shallow and empty.

DA2 got so much wrong, through what seemed to me mostly a ridiculously short dev period. However it did manage to have an interesting story that for once went inward instead of outward. Felt like a breath of fresh air. Shame they went with big, bigger, biggest here. Losing what felt like a genuinly interesting take for rpg stories. Still, in the end it was the gameplay that made me turn away from DA:I. Grinding. Mmo. No thanks.

Franny Frogpill

Educated
What i-t isn't is LULZTASTIC.
Lulztastic would have worked for me, true. But I was really hoping for something along these lines:

Vault Dweller on Dragon Age 2:
I stopped playing the game when I started Act 3. [...] Somewhere between sitting and watching my characters slowly – ever so very slowly – chipping away at the dragon’s health bar and keeping an eye on the cool down counters, I asked myself what part of this tedious exercise constitutes fun and couldn’t really come up with a good answer.

I remember fighting Firkraag, the red dragon in Baldur’s Gate 2. Now THAT was fun. The dragon didn’t have a health bar. I-t had only 180 hit points. There were no cool downs. Now, I know what you're thinking.

"But, without cooldowns, how would I know when to click my buttons?"

We called them tactics, son. And the sword you got after the fight didn’t become obsolete the moment you leveled up.

Good times, good times.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, since you mention Vault Dweller, let me just say that he had a major influence on the way this review turned out. I'll let him speak for himself, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm waiting for the inevitable 'codex sold out, watered down, infiltrated by the one-eyed spamatron' outrage.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bought the game, got bored even before the title appeared on the screen (I think I spent more time creating my character than actually playing the game) and then I returned the game and got my money back.
They just could have release a demo so I could be spared of all this hustle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom