Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview X05 Oblivion hands-on at IGN and GameSpot

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> and <a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> have posted their hands-on impressions of <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a>. Both previews contain mandatory references to Patric Stewart!!! and shiny graphics, but here is something that GameSpot noted:
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6135011&mode=top>GameSpot preview</a>:
<br>
We got the impression that Oblivion's storyline and gameplay are a little more focused and constrained than in past Elder Scrolls games, although we did only play it for the first few minutes. Yet the linear dungeon path we followed during our time with the game was in stark contrast to the opening of Morrowind, which thrusts you right into a world so open and vast that you hardly know where to begin. </blockquote>It looks like Bethesda does listen to the fans.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/655/655880p1.html>IGN preview</a>:
<br>
Since Uriel and his guards had gone up ahead and forbidden us to follow, we plunged through the hole the rats had made in the wall into a dark and dirty catacomb area. Shortly after we got inside we picked up a shield and a bow and arrow. When equipped, we were able to block with the shield using the LT button. The bow and arrow was impressive, especially when zoomed out to the third person perspective which showcased the smooth arrow draw and subsequent fire. The tutorial text instructed us to fire the arrows into a bucket hanging into a well. We did as we were told and were treated to a demonstration of Oblivion's accurate physics as the bucket bounced around from the arrow's force.</blockquote>I really wish that there were better examples of gameplay features than "set the dog on fire" and "shoot at the bucket and watch it bounce". Unless one's role-playing a retard, of course.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Twinfalls

Erudite
That last comment is a sig candidate.

I get the impression Oblibon is going to do extremely well. Check out the comments thread at EG (not a site known for much rpg content) for an article about Xbox launch titles.

A whole bucket of big-name games mentioned, yet look at the comments.....

http://eurogamer.net/article_discussion ... e_id=61159

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I really wish that there were better examples of gameplay features than "set the dog on fire" and "shoot at the bucket and watch it bounce". Unless one's role-playing a retard, of course.

<A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

How about character creation, lockpicking, the detail of scripted dialogue, or that the inventory apparently works well (at least on Xbox)? No, all fluff too. Combat is fun? No, too actiony!
No, how about you actually say WHAT it is you want to hear (from the shown sequence) that would interest YOU? I am not sure I understand that any more.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I thought it was humorous that the Gamespot preview complained about the linearity of the chargen dungeon.

geminito

Liturgist
Just go play Fallout some more. That has teh dilalogue choices and charakter creashun. Just don't mention how awful inventory management is.

Twinfalls

Erudite
The bit about the player having to hack through masses of rats reminded me of the 'Siege at Firemoth' MW mod.

Easily the best mod I played. Very atmospheric. 'Action' though it was, it was good action, with creatures coming in hordes - which you never got with the OC.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
A more focused story then Morrowind is probably a good thing. And if it actually has a good story unlike Morrowind that would be great. I also think its a mistake to judge a game based on the opening dungeon that doubles as a tutorial, or at least thats the impression I'm getting of it. I would have been upset had Thief 3 used footprints to tell you where to go the entire game, but they were just used in the first level to show first time gamers the ropes.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I thought it was humorous that the Gamespot preview complained about the linearity of the chargen dungeon.
Jumping to conclusions is everyone's favourite sport.

crpgnut

Augur
GhanBuriGhan said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Jumping to conclusions is everyone's favourite sport.

It's great exercise, even though it doesn't get you anywhere :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
How about character creation, lockpicking, the detail of scripted dialogue, or that the inventory apparently works well (at least on Xbox)? No, all fluff too. Combat is fun? No, too actiony!
Well, I meant specific gameplay-defining things, things that make you go "Wow, I want to play that!". We know that you can create a character and we know how, we know that there is a combat that's supposed to be kinetic and shit (so far, neither the written examples nor the video managed to demonstrate its alleged awesomeness), and we know that there is an inventory and it fucking better work well (since when do we praise a feature that actually works?). I'm interested in specific elemenst that when combined form the actual gameplay and therefore an opinion.

I mean, watching the amazing bouncing bucket is totally awesome but what else can I do with it. That's what I want to see. The chains in the video, can I swing them and knock my opponent down? Yes/No? If no, why do I care that they swing realistically? Etc

So far, after watching the video and reading the X05 previews, I failed to feel the awesomeness, and I failed to see the substance. It looks like a fine "explore the ruins and kill some critters" game. I'll gladly buy it and kill some critters too. The question is what else does it do and HOW?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
They have access to the entire game, starting at character generation and through the tutorial dungeon -- but I think that nobody's had enough playing time to finish it up and go out into the rest of the game. It gives a good feel for the game's mechanics, sets up the story (how much depends on how far they get), and teaches you how to use everything. But the only quest you get during the process is the first part of the main quest, and that's at the very end of the sequence. So I'm not sure how you can expect much more out of the X05 impressions than what we're seeing.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

That is pretty funny. Maybe TES5 will allow you to generate your character in any order or not at all!

Vault Dweller

Developer
@MSFD:

Well, if a preview doesn't tell anything new (other then the fact that the graphics are indeed real and spectacular) then what's the point of writing it in the first place. Not that many people want to hear anything other than OMG! It's so amazingly awesome!, obviously.

Anyway, my criticism was directed not at the game (at this point), but at reviewers who can't write anything informative (speaking of which, I saw a hilarious Mass Effect preview that was basically a rewritten feature list) and at Bethesda who doesn't feel the need - perhaps for a good reason - to point something interesting and deeper than the amazing bouncing bucket to the reviewers.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I suppose, VD, but on the other hand, the articles are coverage of the X05 event, so it's either write about what they see or not provide coverage of their first hands-on experience with the game.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Well, I meant specific gameplay-defining things, things that make you go "Wow, I want to play that!". We know that you can create a character and we know how, we know that there is a combat that's supposed to be kinetic and shit (so far, neither the written examples nor the video managed to demonstrate its alleged awesomeness), and we know that there is an inventory and it fucking better work well (since when do we praise a feature that actually works?). I'm interested in specific elemenst that when combined form the actual gameplay and therefore an opinion.

I mean, watching the amazing bouncing bucket is totally awesome but what else can I do with it. That's what I want to see. The chains in the video, can I swing them and knock my opponent down? Yes/No? If no, why do I care that they swing realistically? Etc

So far, after watching the video and reading the X05 previews, I failed to feel the awesomeness, and I failed to see the substance. It looks like a fine "explore the ruins and kill some critters" game. I'll gladly buy it and kill some critters too. The question is what else does it do and HOW?

True, the preview doen't tell much more than that it works and looks good (which may well be worth reporting since enough games fail even that).
During my time wasted on the TES forums I picked up a few things that wowed me and others I thought were important improvements from MW gameplay-wise, don't know if those are interesting for you- and of course all are only half confirmed - and I am leaving out the very obvious ones like combat, havoc, horsies, yadda yadda.

- people can rise in guilds alongside you
- you may find "competing adventurers" that may be after your quest goal
- NPC's and monsters follow across load-doors now.
- Shadows and armor have a more realistic effect on sneaking.
- Throwing things, the trap manipulation, the mere presence of traps worth the name
- Truly working Telekinesis
- The yield feature
- Unarming opponents perk
- Unarmed foes trying to pick up weapons
- Guilds convey privileges again (as in DF): enchanting, potion making.
- (yet undisclosed) Rewards for becoming head of a guild.
- Moods /facial animation - i think that does so much to bring NPC's alive in the same vein i liked the point and show animations seen in the vid - can all be used to make NPC's have a body language of sorts.
- Guild quests form "storylines" 9sure will be linear, but better than all those "fetch me" quests from DF and MW, I hope.

Those were all features I thought were gameplay improvements over MW. Not that all changes are positive, of course.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
During my time wasted on the TES forums I picked up a few things that wowed me and others I thought were important improvements from MW gameplay-wise, don't know if those are interesting for you- and of course all are only half confirmed - and I am leaving out the very obvious ones like combat, havoc, horsies, yadda yadda.

- NPC's and monsters follow across load-doors now.
- Shadows and armor have a more realistic effect on sneaking.
- Throwing things, the trap manipulation, the mere presence of traps worth the name
- Truly working Telekinesis
- The yield feature
- Unarming opponents perk
- Unarmed foes trying to pick up weapons
- Moods /facial animation - i think that does so much to bring NPC's alive in the same vein i liked the point and show animations seen in the vid - can all be used to make NPC's have a body language of sorts.
- Guild quests form "storylines" 9sure will be linear, but better than all those "fetch me" quests from DF and MW, I hope.

Those were all features I thought were gameplay improvements over MW. Not that all changes are positive, of course.
Very interesting, but again, without explanation of how these things are supposed to work, those feature could range from amazing to totally useless. Example A: people can rise in guilds with you. If it somehow affects gameplay, that's a great and fantastic feature. If all it does is add "Hey, PC, guess what I'm now [rank+1]! I can sell you better stuff now!" line, then who cares? Same with anything else on that list.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep. Anyone remembers Anvil of Dawn? You could meet adventurers who started with you, see their progress, find them dead, get critical items from them, etc. That was nifty.

Psilon

Erudite
It was fun competing against the others in Quest for Glory V, too, at least until they started getting assassinated.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Very interesting, but again, without explanation of how these things are supposed to work, those feature could range from amazing to totally useless. Example A: people can rise in guilds with you. If it somehow affects gameplay, that's a great and fantastic feature. If all it does is add "Hey, PC, guess what I'm now [rank+1]! I can sell you better stuff now!" line, then who cares? Same with anything else on that list.

Sure, we don't know how involved any of this is until we see it in action. But I believe even a lot of little pointless things can make a game better or more interesting - attention to detail is a good thing. So even if its only "Hey, PC, guess what I'm now [rank+1]! I can sell you better stuff now!" (hey that affects gameplay BTW!) It is still a lot better than nothing of that sort.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Visbhume said:
The "competing adventurers" thing sounds pretty nifty.

And before I am accused of hyping the game: I wouldn't expect too much from that. Most likely its limite to some guys roaming a dungeon with AI set to "find and collect all valuables". That would still be interesting, though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Sure, we don't know how involved any of this is until we see it in action.
And that's my point, it would have been nice to see something about such details, instead of reading a hundred previews/interviews telling us how awesome Patric Stewart's voice is.

Section8

Cipher

I'm not convinced that's a positive change. Most of the quests along the main storyline in Morrowind were bad quests, with a bit of storyline accompanying them. I'd rather see the problem addressed at the source than adding fluff. Likewise, I think a "quest board" structure to guilds would be far better than a single linear quest string.

Nice in theory, since it adds urgency, a bit of morality and quest failure. Do you kill the adventurer who has succeeded ahead of you, does he try to kill you in the same position? and such like

Of course, the implementation is the guts of the matter, and that's yet to be seen. If it's effectively simulated, then that's good. If it's just some guy at the quest location who says "I r do this quest not u!" and then attacks, that's bad. But I have to say, the concept doesn't fit well with the idea of guild quest storylines, if somebody else has done part of *your* story. At this stage, I'd assume this to be just a scripted part of a particular quest or two.

Definitely a must. It's terribly anti-climactic to work so hard for a reward that is nothing more than a footnote to your character sheet.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm...
You sure you didn't mess this features from ones in STALKER? :)

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I think setting the dog on fire was cool. It wasn't how it was made to sound. The dog was being a nuisance, so it's owner cast a fire spell on it and burned it a little. It's not like he was really "set on fire." He only burned for a second and then ran off. It's a cool feature I think. She is a little mean disciplining the dog with magic, though. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom