Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview X05 Oblivion hands-on at IGN and GameSpot

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
jiujitsu said:
I think setting the dog on fire was cool. It wasn't how it was made to sound. The dog was being a nuisance, so it's owner cast a fire spell on it and burned it a little. It's not like he was really "set on fire." He only burned for a second and then ran off. It's a cool feature I think. She is a little mean disciplining the dog with magic, though. :lol:
Is it a feature you are planning to use a lot though? Would it improve your gameplay and add depth to it?

truekaiser

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
jiujitsu said:
I think setting the dog on fire was cool. It wasn't how it was made to sound. The dog was being a nuisance, so it's owner cast a fire spell on it and burned it a little. It's not like he was really "set on fire." He only burned for a second and then ran off. It's a cool feature I think. She is a little mean disciplining the dog with magic, though. :lol:
Is it a feature you are planning to use a lot though? Would it improve your gameplay and add depth to it?
the only way i see it being a feature is if someone added a People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals guild. :P

on the gameplay note, i realy do hope the first dungeon does not give you your class based on your actions.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
jiujitsu said:

It was there to get the audience to laugh, I don't see why people keep bringing it up.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Vault Dweller said:
jiujitsu said:

Hey, it's just a fun thing to see the game do. I would like to see the AI do various things like that. It would just make the game more alive and polished.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm... NPCs setting their dogs on fire is polished?
Unless, indeed, it has to do with some sort of antigreen guild :).
antigreen.org/bioreactor
:D

Drakron

Arcane
NeutralMilkHotel said:
It was there to get the audience to laugh, I don't see why people keep bringing it up.

It was a fluke on Bethsoft part when they programed the Radient AI of that NPC.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
A fluke Todd played through countless times to have it happen like that when he played it live? Yeah. Everything in that video was planned and supposed to happen (MSFD, you can tell me if I'm wrong).

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
She was meant to look like a crack whore to show all the stupid things she could do for the audience. What I really want to see is a guy masturbate in his room then drink a tasty accuraccy potion because lets be frank thats what all villagers do.

The demo is designed to show what RAI can do. Lighting dogs on fire is possible (with the right circumstances), but not likely.

Tintin

Arbiter
Drakron said:
NeutralMilkHotel said:

It was a fluke on Bethsoft part when they programed the Radient AI of that NPC.

Right, they had no idea it would happen, and when it happened during the preview, Todd gasped and motioned frightendly for someone to help him - but it was too late, the damage was done, the audience was now aware of the dog-burning secrets of Radiant AI which they would spread to the world. Soon, Oblivion would be named "TES4: DogBurning" by the press, and Bethesda as they knew it would perish.

:roll: They programmed that character specifically for that to happen during the preview just to exaggerate what kind of reaction capabilities NPC's have. MSFD already confirmed it won't happen regularily.

Drakron

Arcane
Dont be a ass, duing one of NwN demos a deer followed the party into a cave ... it was not set either and BioWare quicky explained that creatures can move over areas (at least that deer did).

The whole thing was the NPC in Oblivion was supposed to cast spells and simply the fire spell was casted, it unlikely that would happen and so I call it a fluke ... not "Oblivion comedy central" since when you trying to push human-like AI you dont want it to show its still going to do some dumb things.

Heck I bet you are going to say next that the blue Screen of Death during Microsoft presentation of Windows XP was set up as well ...

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Mr. Smileyface, tell this smart guy that it was a planned joke. For the love of god, before his damned brain explodes at the concept of it. Or shame me and say it wasn't. Please.

Section8

Cipher
Drakron, I'd say the fact that there's is recorded VO to account for the act of setting her dog on fire is a pretty good indicator it was planned and not emergent.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Beth stated in an interview somewhere that they set her variables to such a state that the outcome - flaming the dog, was practically guaranteed.

To me, it just looks scripted.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Of course it's not a fluke. The whole lady in the bookstore part was a planned sequence of events designed to show some of the things you can do with Radiant AI. Some of it is scripts, some of it is a schedule of AI packages, some of it is autonomous behavior based on AI settings on the characters. It's a combination of lots of different aspects of RAI.

jasondragon

Novice
Tetragrammaton said:
The demo is designed to show what RAI can do. Lighting dogs on fire is possible (with the right circumstances), but not likely.

What exactly are the right circumstances to light a dog on fire? Does the dog have to be bad?

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Of course it's not a fluke. The whole lady in the bookstore part was a planned sequence of events designed to show some of the things you can do with Radiant AI. Some of it is scripts, some of it is a schedule of AI packages, some of it is autonomous behavior based on AI settings on the characters. It's a combination of lots of different aspects of RAI.

So the idiot behavior was script, AI package or autonomous behavior?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's a part of the plot. The woman knows IT, so she tries to kill the dog to stop THE THING from taking over Tamriel. She put the dog on fire, but we all know you've gotta burn THE THING properly to kill it. So, now you must hunt it and all those people IT infested. I think the Emperor is infested, he didn't look very well.

truekaiser

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
It's a part of the plot. The woman knows IT, so she tries to kill the dog to stop THE THING from taking over Tamriel. She put the dog on fire, but we all know you've gotta burn THE THING properly to kill it. So, now you must hunt it and all those people IT infested. I think the Emperor is infested, he didn't look very well.

heh.
that wasn't a very good movie either :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
You didn't like The Thing? I think it's great (the story was cool too, written in 56, unless I'm mistaken). Well, what I liked the most was the fact that the alien was actually a very different life form (each cell is its own organism) and not just a scary bloodthirsty animal like in another movies.

truekaiser

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
You didn't like The Thing? I think it's great (the story was cool too, written in 56, unless I'm mistaken). Well, what I liked the most was the fact that the alien was actually a very different life form (each cell is its own organism) and not just a scary bloodthirsty animal like in another movies.

i didn't hate the movie, i just do not think it's good movie.
or maybe it's because i have watchd too many 'aliens = blood thirsty monsters' movies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom