Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #6: Unleashing the Gamification + Crafting Stretch Goal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment

Kickstarter gamification. We've all seen it before. For every X Facebook likes, we'll unlock this. For every Y backers, we'll unlock that. With E3 coming up and all the organs of gaming journalism attuned to its presence, inXile feel the need for publicity more acutely than most. And so, in a move that would make Josh Sawyer proud, they've unveiled a unified gamification system for The Bard's Tale IV to handle all of those things and more. The latest Kickstarter update explains:

Let’s dust off those chairs in the Adventurer’s Guild and start exploring! We thought we’d do something fun, encouraging you to spread the word and giving you cool stuff to unlock by doing – including some bonus rewards as a thank-you to our backers! As we reach the milestones shared below, a story will unfold detailing our collective journey through the Enclave of the Fairy Host. Each time we complete an achievement, a new piece of story will appear, detailing the struggles and triumphs of the excursion. Along the way, we might even have some interactive decisions that will modify where we go. So here is what you can do to aid in our quest…
  • Facebook Likes: like The Bard’s Tale IV on Facebook and get your Facebook friends to do the same!
  • Twitter Followers: follow @Brianfargo on Twitter and encourage others to do the same!
  • Tumblr Followers: follow our brand new Tumblr page and reblog our posts to spread the word!
  • YouTube Subscriptions: subscribe to inXile’s youtube page and spread the word!
  • YouTube Video Views: spread the word on our in-engine video everywhere to rack up those views!
  • Retweet Brian’s Message: retweet this tweet and encourage others to do the same!
  • The Bard’s Tale Fan Art: send us your fan art drawing or sketch through a Kickstarter message or Facebook post/message.
  • A Bardic Song: record video or audio of you performing a bardic song, upload to YouTube or elsewhere and send us the link through a Kickstarter message or Facebook post/message.
  • Kilt Photos: take a photo of yourself or a group of people in a kilt with a sign that says #BardsTale4 and send it to us through a Kickstarter message or Facebook post/message.
We will gather fan-made art, songs and photos and share them on Facebook and Kickstarter Updates. We'll be keeping a live tally of the amount of followers, likes, retweets and submissions we have and keep you updated as you unlock each of these achievements!

That’s only half the fun! As you rack up achievement points, we’re unlocking rewards at every 4 points (represented as rooms in the dungeon above)! At the first 4 points: we add a physical code wheel to *all* physical tiers, including $65. Digital tiers will receive a digital representation of this code wheel. The code wheel will not be required to play the game, but using it will unlock additional lore and flavor throughout The Bard’s Tale IV world.

Of course, we will reveal more rewards as you progress!​

In anticipation of the wave of backers that will hopefully result from this initiative, inXile have also announced a new stretch goal:

We’ve got plans for some exciting stretch goals and even announced our first one: at $1.3 million we’ll add an Enhanced Companion NPC System and add 2 more CNPCs. What’s next after that one? At $1.35 million, we’ll add a Crafting System.

As we showed in the Kickstarter text, items are very much a part of our sense of discovery and mystery, and you can thoroughly study many weapons and unlock ways to enhance or modify them. When we hit the $1.35 million stretch goal, we’ll compliment the item interaction with a robust crafting system allowing you to find ingredients and components throughout the world that allow you to make all kinds of game modifying items and weapons. By tying this in with our magic system, you can influence the newly created item’s abilities directly through many of the various abilities. With this system, after unlocking an item’s potential you can imbue it with power from a certain school of magic, or a specific spell, or even a Bard’s song to give it a new, unique capability.​

Ah, crafting. Crafting never changes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A couple of achievements have already been unlocked:

7bedb4c765e8cd8d09fa266301279315_original.jpg
-->

cdfadf93796b45d059ad01f89c7fac23_original.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
Yes crafting is one of the things that is always wanted by gamers. And somehow i have the feeling that it can be interesting in this game, while i did not had this feeling in DOS.
Dorateen
Did you sent this to Fargo?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They make take our lives, but they'll never take our Keenan.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fuck, Fargo is using any marketing trick known to Man, I wonder if he will invent some new ones along the way.

lurker3000

Arcane
Crafting is a phenomenal waste of time and resources for developers. Unless its a core part of the game, say Witcher potions, there is no point because the regular game items are almost always better and if not then the crafting system breaks the game because its not balanced for the crafted items.

I cannot express enough how stupid crafting is in these types of games.

Athelas

Arcane
This seems like a bit of a convoluted way to get people to up their pledges that could backfire.

I'd just make people pay money to unlock levels of a dungeon I was going to implement anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This seems like a bit of a convoluted way to get people to up their pledges that could backfire.

I'd just make people pay money to unlock levels of a dungeon I was going to implement anyway.

Hmm? It's trying to bring in more backers, not get the existing ones to pay more.

Maybe that'll come later. :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He could bring me in by actually making a Bard's Tale game.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm waiting for the inevitable "Hire Chris Avellone as a permanent member of InXile" stretch goal

Avantre

Educated
If one of Fargo's future kickstarters ever fail, it certainly won't be from him not having bent over backwards and contorting himself into any position needed to promote it in any way he can. Stan Lee would be proud.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe add an NPC as stretch-goal that does the crafting for you, so you can concentrate on other things.
Here, I crafted this random item from random stuff in your inventory. I also checked if it's even remotely
useful, and as it wasn't I sent our summoned monster to Garths to sell it. Wonder where he's got to.+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom