Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 295: Rebecca Heineman on the Bard's Tale Trilogy Rerelease + Staglands Review

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale; Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight; Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate; Bard's Tale IV; Dragons of the Rip; Matt Barton; Olde Skuul; Rebecca Heineman; Serpent in the Staglands; Whalenought Studios

The latest episode of Matt Chat is a double feature - a twenty minute interview with Interplay veteran Rebecca Heineman on her involvement with the Bard's Tale trilogy rerelease commissioned by Brian Fargo for his Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign, followed by a 45 minute "review" of Serpent in the Staglands. I'll summarize the former.

The interview starts off with Becky giving a description of the work her team is planning to do for the rerelease. She seems to have this well thought out. It'll be based on the source code of the Apple IIGS versions of the games (including the never-released Apple IIGS version of Bard's Tale III) which she considers to be the best. However, some visually superior graphical elements will be taken from the Amiga versions, creating an ultimate version of the trilogy. They may also redraw some art, but the majority will simply be upscaled. In addition, they're looking into remastering the soundtrack, replacing the MIDI tracks with modern digital recordings, although Becky notes that this may cause issues with the game's bardic music, which used MIDI to play the same songs with many different instruments. Finally, Becky is also going to try to backport the automap feature of Bard's Tale III into the first two games. She's convinced she can get this all done within a few months, or by the end of the year at the latest.

The second half of the interview gets a bit awkward, as Matt insists on delving into Becky's opinion on various contentious topics, including the Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign and its success or lack thereof, Wasteland 2's quality, Seven Dragon Saga's failure, and Michael Cranford's professional ethics. Things remain mostly professional, although she does confess that she's baffled by Brian Fargo's decision to use Scottish folklore for the new Bard's Tale, saying that the original games were never about that and that she prefers the independence afforded by a completely fantastic world, like the one she's creating for her Dragons of the Rip project. Which, by the way, she's still planning on Kickstarting at the end of the month, despite the new work her team has been given. Hmmkay.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Converting from MIDI to different format is a sign of competence.

In case fellow codexers aren't too much into this stuff - MIDI has compatibility problems with modern soundcards, okay I'll put it differently. MIDI compatibility is half-assed on modern cards. That's why old, MIDI music suddenly started to sound weird. So while it'll be a bit of a problem technically-wise, the conversion is a sign of putting effort into the remaster/rerelease/whateveryoucallit. Which is good.

Also - SitS is finally getting noticed by people outside of codex. Wow.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was was in the middle of watching "In a Lonely Place" staring Humphrey Bogart, but now I've decided to watch the remake staring Matt Barton instead..

agris

Arcane
Patron
J_C do you always review games by just recording your first playthrough of them? That was kind of painful.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ah I see. That makes sense why you couldn't find where to enter your name then. Perhaps Fallout 4 would interest you more?

:Flash:

Arcane
That the IIgs version played the midi music differently depending on the instrument you had in-game is simply ingenious. That's the kind of stuff that is lost with modern audio formats.

But I think they should wait with their Rip kickstarter until the conversion of the old trilogy is done. That way they would get way more exposure. The way it's planned now they have to work on two things in parallel while not getting the exposure for their kickstarter.

Dehumanizer

Educated
That the IIgs version played the midi music differently depending on the instrument you had in-game is simply ingenious. That's the kind of stuff that is lost with modern audio formats.

MIDI these days still mostly works, but it's not guaranteed, and even if it does you can't be sure that it'll sound the same on different systems (especially Linux and such).

One way around it would be to use software-based MIDI such as Fluidsynth, and include a soundfont with just the instruments you need (basically, those that exist in the games).

Another way is to use some variation of the old Amiga MOD format, which was basically like a MIDI, but also included samples for each instrument in the file. (Ever played Star Control II on DOS? The (excellent) music was made using this, and you'll note the game came out on floppy disk and wasn't huge in terms of installed disk space.) For the BT trilogy, the game would simply (internally) play the version for the chosen song with the current instrument's sample.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You just include MUNT and emulate a Roland MT-32 you fools (with option to passthrough for people with real ones).

Dehumanizer

Educated
Not only is MUNT quite CPU-heavy, but it requires the MT-32 ROMs, which are illegal to distribute... and anyway Becky's remasters will be based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, not the DOS versions.

The DOS version of BT3 supported MT-32 music (BT1-2 supported PC speaker only), but only on the IIGS did the games play the songs with the correct equipped instrument (e.g. play song 1 with a flute, and it sounds like a flute, play it with a mandolin and it sounds like one, etc.), which is what we're talking about here.

This is obviously easy to do if your music format separates the notes from the instrument definitions / samples (MIDI, MOD, etc.), but otherwise (e.g. MP3) it'll require recording each song once for each instrument.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not only is MUNT quite CPU-heavy
This is 2015 upgrade your pentium 3.

but it requires the MT-32 ROMs, which are illegal to distribute... and anyway Becky's remasters will be based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, not the DOS versions.
Illegal to distribute without license, they could contact roland or whoever about it. I mean gog is selling amiga games somehow.

Also, given that they have the source code and can do anything they want to with it, I want the best possible version that could ever be conceived.

The DOS version of BT3 supported MT-32 music (BT1-2 supported PC speaker only), but only on the IIGS did the games play the songs with the correct equipped instrument (e.g. play song 1 with a flute, and it sounds like a flute, play it with a mandolin and it sounds like one, etc.), which is what we're talking about here.
I understand the concept, I still don't see why this can't be done through software emulation.

Dehumanizer

Educated
Oh, I agree with software emulation. I just think MT-32 / MUNT should have nothing to do with it (and this from a guy who regularly uses MUNT in/with DOSBox and ScummVM).

After all, since BT1-2 didn't support MT-32 and BT3 used it only in a basic way (it didn't play each instrument differently), it would mean that they would basically be composing new MT-32 music -- more than 15 years since the last time anyone did so.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
SiTS is even more hardcore than I expected it to be. But yeah, releasing it at the height of Witcher 3 media storm was probably not the greatest move.

Mainstream gaming sites only cover games that will 1. bring them traffic or 2. unknown ones that impressed their reviewers with something. SiTS might fit into the latter category, given the right reviewer, but it will probably just be ignored. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom