Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review A Christian review of The Witcher

Digitalos

Novice
Hory said:
Are Christians allowed to role-play a sinner?
Of course. Without turning this into a whole apologetics thread, Christians, or rather perhaps I shouldn't speak for all Christians, but I believe God's laws were put in place to protect us. Not to protect tiny animated virtual people with no real feelings or emotions. That would be like saying you shouldn't watch TV for entertainment when a story portrays events you don't agree with etc.

Balor said:
@ Digitalos
Sorry for offtopic, but I'm here just to offer a bit of thumb-ups for you in general.
If all believers were like you, I'd have no trouble with religions whatsoever, even if it's not my piece of cake. Unfortunately, it's not exactly the case.
And some religions seem to actively encourage dumbfuckery, see Islam. 'Kill all who say that Islam is not a religion of peace!", my ass.
Thanks for the kind words - and tell me about it! I do a fair amout of debating and discussion, and I had one guy tell me about his Christian family, who not only called his wife a whore at their wedding! But after she passed away, they congratulated him! I mean... I just didn't know what to say to that, I could hardly blame the guy for being an atheist and having a serious dislike for Christians, at that point, I had a serious dislike for them. >_<

Cheers!
Digit

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey Digit, I like you and all, but don't sign your posts with "Cheers! Digit" or anything else. It's a bit annoying and not really done here, unless you're new or unless your're called "gromnir". But when you're called gromnir, all hope is lost anyway.

edit: in the olds days this post would have looked very different. But no crying over spilled milk.

edit: www.tubgirl.com

edit: What happened to www.tubgirl.com? "Subrscription"!?

Digitalos

Novice
Jasede said:
Hey Digit, I like you and all, but don't sign your posts with "Cheers! Digit" or anything else. It's a bit annoying and not really done here, unless you're new or unless your're called "gromnir". But when you're called gromnir, all hope is lost anyway.

edit: in the olds days this post would have looked very different. But no crying over spilled milk.

I can't say goodbye in my posts?

Wait, isn't this Codex where no one cares what you think, so in that regard am I beheld to oblige personal requests, or can I say GTFO and then go...

Cheers!
Digit? ;)

z-axis

Novice
sheek: "You don't have to and I would not expect any Christian to use the whores and drugs in the Witcher, Fallout or any other game. How else can you prove your righteousness and faith if you're never tested?"

As flawed human beings, we can't ever prove our righteousness, but thankfully Christ *is* our righteousness for those who believe.

Digitalos: "In additon, it's the largest act in the game, and I just found it amazingly painful, maybe my experience doesn't reflect everyone elses though. "

I couldn't wait to expand my horizons, either. In an rpg, I don't like being herded through areas like cattle, so I found it extremely difficult to get through the prologue and act I because of the limited space and boundaries, and I almost gave up on the game. I like to wander and explore even if I do have to go running back to the safety of town every now and then... sans unacceptably long load times and annoying cut scenes to get there. The Witcher is not quite the rave I've heard from some here, but overall, once I got past the first acts the game is definitely interesting and enjoyable enough. I do give the developers two thumbs up for not taking the easy [and most lucrative] route and gearing it towards children. I hope more developers will follow suit.

Shoelip

Arbiter
z-axis said:
sheek: "You don't have to and I would not expect any Christian to use the whores and drugs in the Witcher, Fallout or any other game. How else can you prove your righteousness and faith if you're never tested?"

As flawed human beings, we can't ever prove our righteousness, but thankfully Christ *is* our righteousness for those who believe.

Digitalos: "In additon, it's the largest act in the game, and I just found it amazingly painful, maybe my experience doesn't reflect everyone elses though. "

I couldn't wait to expand my horizons, either. In an rpg, I don't like being herded through areas like cattle, so I found it extremely difficult to get through the prologue and act I because of the limited space and boundaries, and I almost gave up on the game. I like to wander and explore even if I do have to go running back to the safety of town every now and then... sans unacceptably long load times and annoying cut scenes to get there. The Witcher is not quite the rave I've heard from some here, but overall, once I got past the first acts the game is definitely interesting and enjoyable enough. I do give the developers two thumbs up for not taking the easy [and most lucrative] route and gearing it towards children. I hope more developers will follow suit.

Huh, have ever heard of Oblivion? You sound like you're describing it as your ideal game.

You get to wander around a huge open world where you can choose at any time to complete a large asortment of inane tasks with such great choices and consequences as choosing to do a quest, and getting the reward for it, or choosing to do a quest later and getting the reward later.

z-axis

Novice
shoelip: Huh, have ever heard of Oblivion? You sound like you're describing it as your ideal game.

Where did you see that in my post? Not sure if you're aware of this, but there are other games offering free roaming maps that thankfully aren't Oblivion. You might want to check those out sometime.

psycojester

Arbiter
Digitalos said:
Jasede said:

Wait, isn't this Codex where no one cares what you think, so in that regard am I beheld to oblige personal requests, or can I say GTFO and then go...

Cheers!
Digit? ;)

If you can work out who's insulting you in this post you crotch fondling arseclown, then you're probably smart enough to work out why you don't fucking need to sign every goddamn forum post.

Hint: turn your head slightly to the left.

Look at it this way, go have a conversation with somebody in the street and then say goodbye to them everytime you finish what you're saying and its their turn to talk. This is what you're doing.

Hory

Erudite
Digitalos said:
Hory said:
Are Christians allowed to role-play a sinner?
Of course. Without turning this into a whole apologetics thread, Christians, or rather perhaps I shouldn't speak for all Christians, but I believe God's laws were put in place to protect us.
You mean: "God's laws were put in place by God to protect us from himself". No one else, for example, would give a shit if you worked on Sunday.
Not to protect tiny animated virtual people with no real feelings or emotions.
But in RPGs, decision-making is one of the elements that depend on both the player and the character. You can't say the player's choices are entirely "in character", because even a virtual character has multiple "in character" choices available, and this is where the preferences of the player come in.
That would be like saying you shouldn't watch TV for entertainment when a story portrays events you don't agree with etc.
It's not the same thing. You have no control over the development of the story. You are irrelevant to the movie. But there is a problem in this case too. Is it wrong to enjoy scenes which depict imaginary characters sinning?

Herbert West

Arbiter
psycojester said:
Digitalos said:
Jasede said:

Cheers!
Digit? ;)

If you can work out who's insulting you in this post you crotch fondling arseclown, then you're probably smart enough to work out why you don't fucking need to sign every goddamn forum post.

Hint: turn your head slightly to the left.

Look at it this way, go have a conversation with somebody in the street and then say goodbye to them everytime you finish what you're saying and its their turn to talk. This is what you're doing.

You're aware he'll probably use that sig for ever and ever, after reading your rant, right :lol: ?

Digitalos

Novice
psycojester said:
Actually what I am doing is saying goodbye at the end of the conversation, not each sentence, thus ending the conversation until next time.

I'm not forcing you to do it and if you don't like it, don't read it. I mean, it's not that hard, I'm somewhat surprised it's even come up, it's the same as asking someone to capitalise their proper-nouns in my book. >_>

Cheers,
Digit

Murk

Arcane
The sig thing confuses me not because they choose to sign each post, but because every forum EVAH has a signature function which will automatically add that very sig, in the same formatting, to every post you make.

Why not, you know, use it?

Digitalos

Novice
Maybe, I might just start posting like this. I'm not overly attached to signing out, this is the first forum where someone has even mentioned it hehe. :)

Digitalos

Novice
Hory said:
You mean: "God's laws were put in place by God to protect us from himself". No one else, for example, would give a shit if you worked on Sunday.
No I don't, if I had meant that, then I would have said it.

If you had made prior commitments and then decided to blow me off in order to do something else, I would most certainly mind. Without going into too much detail, the law was given to a people who were very much focussed on their culture and were at great risk of having it swallowed up by other larger populations of people in the surrounding areas, it's a testiment to the faith that it has survived so long, and has outlived other religions and cultures, the reason for this being that they were very protective about their culture and practices. In addition this law was abolished with the coming of Chrst.

Hory said:
But in RPGs, decision-making is one of the elements that depend on both the player and the character. You can't say the player's choices are entirely "in character", because even a virtual character has multiple "in character" choices available, and this is where the preferences of the player come in.
It makes no difference in my eyes, the actions have no real consequences. It's like me playing cowboys and indians, I don't believe God is bothered in the slightest when we role play roles like this and make choices we never would in real life.

Hory said:
It's not the same thing. You have no control over the development of the story. You are irrelevant to the movie. But there is a problem in this case too. Is it wrong to enjoy scenes which depict imaginary characters sinning?
Again, it doesn't matter. If you watch a program for entertainment, you are finding something positive about it. I don't watch movies like The Saw, as I don't find anything entertaining about them, just as I don't watch horror. There is a larger scope here in that it's not so much what you watch, but why. I had a long debate with some other Christians about this on another forum I visit, and I still stand by my not 'what' by 'why'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom