Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Fresh Discussion on The Black Hound

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I did a little searching and I couldn't find any recent threads about this game here, and since my interest in it was rekindled from ChristofferC's posting of its title screen in the Pictures thread in GD I thought it might be worthwhile to start up another discussion on a game that many -- if not most of us here at the Codex -- would have really liked to have seen the light of day: Baldur's Gate 3.

I had actually never read the Wiki article about it until just a little while ago, probably desiring not to tear an old wound open (yes, I very much would have relished this title). There are quite a few facts about its development that I was thus previously quite unaware of, most further adding to my distinct displeasure that the whole thing got scrapped. I knew it was to be based on 3E, I knew about its setting and some of its storyline. The following were things that surprised me to learn, however:

There was a hound featured in the storybook of Icewind Dale II of which Maralie narrated, according to the developers, the game would have revolved around this hound.

I do vaguely remember the book in IDII, but I never made the connection until now. I think the whole concept of the hound representing guilt and that it could not be killed was solid enough, a bit contrived but interesting that it was derived from that previous game.

While the strategy of the gameplay would have been turn-based, Damien Foletto a developer on the game hoped to use elements from other games such as the Temple of Elemental Evil.

This is particularly disturbing to me, since ToEE is a game I consider to be at the pinnacle of enjoyment for its turn-based characteristics. Combining Black Isle's superior storytelling and writing with the advanced combat of 3E in a ToEE-like environment would have been enough for me to have ruined several pairs of underwear. More on this:

The Jefferson Engine was said to be a very powerful 3D Engine that would have incorporated everything from the previous Baldur's Gate games, the Temple of Elemental Evil and some elements from Fallout and put them into one. The engine would have allowed armor worn by the player to be shown in the game.

Again, just glorious potential there. I don't know how accurate these quotes are but just the thought of being able to fully customize your characters in 3D, eliminating BG's inflexibility of its on-screen portraits and the potential to have the amazingly efficient radial combat menus in Black Hound might have catapulted this game into RPG geeks' pantheon of awesomeness. Such a shame. Looking at some of the Van Buren stuff, however, leaves me with some skepticism as to how clean the whole thing would've been in the end. Fully 3D engines weren't quite all there yet back then.

Originally, players would have only been able to advance up to level 5. This was later changed to level 8. This was for two reasons: for the player to be able to level up to higher levels in the sequels and for the player to use more strategy.

Quite surprising and, if true, might've been a killer to the game's popularity. You know how derpers are about LEVEL CAP?!???!11 and all that. Also, no Prestige Classes. *gasp!* Still, a low-level campaign, focused more on story and tactical combat without giving in to powergamers? Heavan IMO.

The game was intended to be part of a trilogy of video games with the first part being released in 2004, this was to be The Black Hound, the other parts were set to be released in early 2005 and late 2005.

Obviously doomed from the start but the possibilities were amazing. I really didn't know a trilogy was planned. Fits in well with the low level cap of III. Throne of Bhaal seems so much more cheesy thinking about what could have been with this series.

I know this subject has been tossed around quite a bit here, but I still don't think enough. I just can't state how strongly I resent not being able to have played what I think would have been Black Isle's finest achievement. All the financial reasons, Atari's failures, WotC's ineptitude -- it doesn't excuse the shame that should be felt for not having something like this reach fruition. I'm sure it's just the D&D nerd in me, but I'd trade a thousand Bethesda titles for just one more good, true Dungeons and Dragons CRPG. I really do mean that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, once WotC/Hasbro finally announced who the new D&D game Publisher will be, Obsidian should obviously approach them.

They cannot however call it "Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound" as BioWare/EA own the rights to "Baldur's Gate" (the name).

That said, the next Publisher will probably want to only shit out fucking shitty action games with the D&D licence so this will never see the light of day as a TB/RTwP game...

circ

Arcane
Jaesun said:
They cannot however call it "Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound" as BioWare/EA own the rights to "Baldur's Gate" (the name).
EA might own something, but seeing as how Baldur's Gate is just a location in FR, that's not it.

Baldur's Gate, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the AD&D logo, and the TSR logo are trademarks of TSR, Inc., a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc, and are used by Interplay under license.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
circ said:
Jaesun said:
EA might own something, but seeing as how Baldur's Gate is just a location in FR, that's not it.

Baldur's Gate, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the AD&D logo, and the TSR logo are trademarks of TSR, Inc., a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc, and are used by Interplay under license.

Name: BALDUR'S GATE
Registration Date May 27, 2008
Owner (REGISTRANT) BioWare Corp. CORPORATION CANADA 4445 Calgary Trail, Suite 200 Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7 CANADA
(LAST LISTED OWNER) WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC CORPORATION DELAWARE 1027 NEWPORT AVENUE PAWTUCKET RHODE ISLAND 02862

Yep you are correct. I had just though BioWare and EA still had some copyright to the name. But apparently not.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While the strategy of the gameplay would have been turn-based,
He meant real time with pause FYI. This was never intended to be turn based.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I gathered that or rather assumed the article was just wrong about that one particular point, but are we certain that Jefferson was strictly RTwP as opposed to being true turn-based or at least maybe flexible enough to have been used in a hybrid fashion?

Van Buren, which was to use the same engine, was designed to be TB, although the option for RT combat was being considered/argued about.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Van Buren tech demo uses real time with rounds, it doesn't even have a pause or a turn based mode. They had to add that stuff later.
Edit: http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=35862
Josh Sawyer said:
The game was intended to be played either as turn-based or real-time. Because Jefferson was real-time, that was the first combat mode implemented for Van Buren. Even what's there is only partially working. There's no pause (super sucky) or called shots, but weapons did their proper damage types and values, armor resisted properly, and it actually did calculate hit location.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Very well. Thanks. I will, however, maintain the assumption that pause or full RT may have been added had the project continued, as had been the intention with Van Buren.

Black

Arcane
Think about it.
Just think about it for a second.

It could've been the first good Baldur's Gate.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
GarfunkeL said:
Wasn't Sawyer making it as a module for NWN2 at some point?

Yes but it is canceled for the most part now.

Which makes me wonder a little............

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cynic said:
Obsidian really need to get the D&D license...

The Publisher WotC/Hasbro decide to let make D&D games that wants to make actual cRPG's with stats/skills that would approach Obsidian is what would be great....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PnP D&D 4th Edition has cooldowns already, if they could make the 5th Edition NOT turn-based I'm sure they would, for new audience and all that shit...not much hope for a turn-based D&D cRPG left...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom