Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview A Game of Thrones - No Pussyfooting

Andhaira

Arcane
Can't wait for this puppy to be released. :D

Sucks that its RTwP though.

.Sigurd

Educated
GB: In a recent preview, you are quoted as citing Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and Knights of the Old Republic as your main influences for crafting a story-driven RPG. Could you elaborate on that? What was it about these three titles that resonated with the team?

Thomas: “What can change the nature of a man?” For us Planescape Torment is a real jewel. It recaptures the essence of many RPG classics and offers an incredible personal adventure. The scenario is grandiose and sombre, with the player held by a sense of suspense, right to the end. That's what we're aiming to achieve: an unforgettable and mature epic adventure.

GB: A big part of the "mature" categorization of the Song of Ice & Fire books is not so much adult situations, but that the books present its world in a realistic fashion, so that moral situations fall somewhere in the hazy shades of grey. When translating that to video game format, do you focus on giving the player a strong narrative with a focus on this angle, or allow him to make his own choices and mistakes when he takes things at face value, or a combination of both?

Thomas: We've approached maturity from a variety of angles. From the outset we rejected the idea of populating screens with semi-naked women and we don't have blood being sprayed everywhere. From that point of view we've been pretty faithful to the books. In fact, the books have been our touchstone, because we really have concentrated on the narrative, the depth of characters and player choices. The latter will be faced with choices much closer to "What do you prefer ? Lose two legs or two arms ?" rather than "Which road do you want to take ? Left or right ?" The player will have choices to make, but more importantly, he will have to assume the consequences.
:incline:

catfood

AGAIN
zeitgeist said:
Jason said:
It would be impossible to offer an epic adventure if the game was played in an open world. Depth can only be provided if we keep the player to a linear path.
I thought this was a humorous paraphrase of the actual quote meant to enrage the Codexian audience, and then I read the interview. Oh my.

You know what's sad? Lots of people out there believe this garbage. This kind of drivel is what started the whole "turn based is a thing of the past, real time is TEH FUTURE" shit. Inept developers and cocksucking journalist parroting each other, and the masses bellieve every single thing they are being told because if a profeshunal said it it must be true!

catfood

AGAIN
Krraloth said:
MetalCraze said:
A game-based-on-a-movie is going to be shit?

No way!

I am confused. What movie?

Game of Thrones TV show gets released this spring.

Game of Thrones video game is in the works.

Is this one of the mysterious ways of Karma? Or are the two connected somehow?

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
it's like what I said ,when you get a a new transformers or spider-man movie , you get a video game and toys also. although you have to deliver it rather quick before the hype around the movie ebbs so no way in the hell, it's another DA2 in the making

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Gosling said:
Can't say I like their idea of constantly switching between 2 different protagonists in separate "episodes". It seems like an interesting concept on paper, but I'm not sure this will work so well in an rpg format.

0.jpg

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah, the format worked for the Krondor series of games. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.

kofeur

Liturgist
catfood said:
Krraloth said:
MetalCraze said:
A game-based-on-a-movie is going to be shit?

No way!

I am confused. What movie?

Game of Thrones TV show gets released this spring.

Game of Thrones video game is in the works.

Is this one of the mysterious ways of Karma? Or are the two connected somehow?

That's the killing blow

ortucis

Prophet
They should've made it an Assasins Creed like open world game (but an RPG). Also..

TrYUl.jpg

6BJD0.jpg

:M

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BelisariuS.F said:
I may be wrong, but If an author sells the rights to the adaptation of his work, then he has no right to interfere in this adaptation, right?

If he sells them, yes. Not if he licenses them out, which is what George RR Martin did as far as I know.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ghostdog said:
tactical RPG-orientated + active pause system + skills to be stacked while the game is switched into slow motion = does not compute.

It computes just fine to people who are intellectual juggernauts in every way imaginable. To the codex pussies who cannot into quick thinking, I can see why it would be a let-down.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
A GAME OF THRONES: GENESIS

I'm so sick of these shitty titles. Hey, let's add a colon and then an EPIC SOUNDING WORD. Hmmm. . . . Awakening? No, taken. Retribution? Meh. Apocalypse? Maybe. . . Revelation? Getting there! Got it! What's a word for "beginning"? GENESIS! RIGHT OUT OF THE FUCKING BIBLE HOLY SHIT WITH AN EPIC NAME LIKE THIS WE HAVE TO SELL A HOJILLION COPIES!!!

The only game this ever worked for was "Planescape: Torment". Every time I see it now it looks forced and retarded. Anyways this game is going to suck, because Cyanide sucks. They've never made a decent game besides "Blood Bowl" and that was only decent. Plus, they're French. I mean come on.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
catfood said:
zeitgeist said:
Jason said:
It would be impossible to offer an epic adventure if the game was played in an open world. Depth can only be provided if we keep the player to a linear path.
I thought this was a humorous paraphrase of the actual quote meant to enrage the Codexian audience, and then I read the interview. Oh my.

You know what's sad? Lots of people out there believe this garbage. This kind of drivel is what started the whole "turn based is a thing of the past, real time is TEH FUTURE" shit. Inept developers and cocksucking journalist parroting each other, and the masses bellieve every single thing they are being told because if a profeshunal said it it must be true!

Applying the principle of charity, this statement is a decent reaction to the problems MMORPGs have with establishing a really epic narrative. Of course MMORPG != open world, but reconciling an open world with things to do in it other than the main quest line makes weird narrative sense. Imagine that heroic epic--"And why did Beowulf spend several months wandering the countryside and solving the individual problems of random Danes while Grendal was nightly laying waste to Heorot?"

That said, impossible is a pretty lame thing to say for a developer.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
BTW what came first?

The boargame or the books?

Stalin

Scholar
there was midget sex in the first game I barfed. oh wait it was on the telly couldn't have been a game....unless it was xbawks

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
meanwhileInPoland said:
BTW what came first?

The boargame or the books?

books ffs
ever heard about good book based on boardgame? :x

1996 first book
2003 game ;)

So you're saying...Salvatore dosent deserve a Nobel prize in litterature?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom