Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Long Road Home - AVAILABLE ON STEAM - ME NEED FOOD - GO BUY IT!

Would you give J_C's adventure game a go?

• LOL, yeah, like he will ever finish it!

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Don't care and won't try it! Fuck you J_C!

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Even his game deserves a chance, I will try it if it's released.

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters
Why talk about it at all?

Just work on it and when you have something to show for it, then do it. Don't talk about it if you want to get it done.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People, is it a problem if I choose a name for my game which is the same as the title of a movie, book or music? The game has nothing to do with that medium, just it happens to have the same title. I can't get sued or anything, right? :D

Declinator

Arbiter
People, is it a problem if I choose a name for my game which is the same as the title of a movie, book or music? The game has nothing to do with that medium, just it happens to have the same title. I can't get sued or anything, right? :D

You might want to say away from names like, say, Game of Thrones but that should hopefully be obvious from the get go. Single word titles are pretty much impossible to be trademarked as far as I know so if that's the case you should be safe.

However, if you think there is any possibility that your game's title will be confused with the other work you should really just contact someone who actually knows what they are talking about (e.g. a lawyer).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You might want to say away from names like, say, Game of Thrones but that should hopefully be obvious from the get go. Single word titles are pretty much impossible to be trademarked as far as I know so if that's the case you should be safe.

However, if you think there is any possibility that your game's title will be confused with the other work you should really just contact someone who actually knows what they are talking about (e.g. a lawyer).
Well I thought of "A Long Road Home" and when I googled it, it turned out there was a shitty family film and a Danielle Steel (WTF?????) novel by the same name in the 90s. :lol:

So whats the first thing you'll make for this? Weapon models?
The game itself.

Redlands

Arcane
There's two movies called Frozen that have been released within a few years of one another. Same with Jack Frost.

It's really funny as in each case one's a horror movie which gets released first, followed by the family-friendly one.

Chances are you're probably okay.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Have you written up an actual design document for this?
Of course
not. It's just a quick, smaller project. I think I will be okey without a design document. :)

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Have you written up an actual design document for this?
Of course
not. It's just a quick, smaller project. I think I will be okey without a design document. :)

So this is just some... demo?
I'm working on the demo first, yes, which is planned to be the first chapter of the game. If I can finish the demo and pull every element of it together, I will continue the work and make it a full game. But that will have a more detailed design, so maybe I will make a design document. :)

Mustawd

I'm working on the demo first, yes, which is planned to be the first chapter of the game. If I can finish the demo and pull every element of it together, I will continue the work and make it a full game. But that will have a more detailed design, so maybe I will make a design document. should start the game already :)

This thing releasing before Grimoire?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I'm working on the demo first, yes, which is planned to be the first chapter of the game. If I can finish the demo and pull every element of it together, I will continue the work and make it a full game. But that will have a more detailed design, so maybe I will make a design document. should start the game already :)

This thing releasing before Grimoire?
I could work on this for a decade and it would still release before that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Do you ever feel that you saw a level of your game so many times, that it makes you go "fuck when it is gonna end?"

Redlands

Arcane
That's not really giving us a good impression of A Long Road Homo.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
That's not really giving us a good impression of A Long Road Homo.
Nah, it's just there is a puzzle I'm designing and I have to run it time after time after time again around a dozen times to get it right. And it gets boring for the nth time.

But I can't wait to show it to you, I think you guys will love these puzzles. (I hope at least.)

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Guys, what do you think which is the better design:
1) There is no indication whatsoever which item is interactable and which is not. Meaning that the mouse doesn't change its icon if you hover over an interactable item. (old adventure games did it this way)
2) The mouse icon changes over an interactable item. (recent adventure games, even the ones from the early 2000s started to use this).

Although the first one adds an extra layer of challange, I think it also means that most of the time people just start clicking on everything, seeing if it does anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom