Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Long Road Home - AVAILABLE ON STEAM - ME NEED FOOD - GO BUY IT!

Would you give J_C's adventure game a go?

• LOL, yeah, like he will ever finish it!

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Don't care and won't try it! Fuck you J_C!

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Even his game deserves a chance, I will try it if it's released.

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been making good progress in the last few days (although not as much as I'd have liked). Finished up one of the routes in my lava cave map. What kind of routes, you might ask?

Well, one thing that I'm doing is that unlike 99% of the point and click adventure games, in my game every map has at least two routes which you can take. You can call it choices and consequences, although they are not as overarching to effect the whole story. But you have two ways to solve a level, which might lead you to different puzzles and sometimes to entirely new maps and characters. These choices might not be apparent to the player immediately, sometimes one just will stumble upon it by chance. Or there will be a puzzle which you can only try once, and if you fail, it will lead you to another route.

It means a lot of work of course, because basicly I have to design every map twice, and have to be sure that the two routes don't get mixed up somehow.

It's also getting clearer to me that finishing up the demo will take more time than I thought. Maybe I can finish the levels and polish it up by the end of the week, but only after that can I start implementing the sounds and music. Obviously since I'm ont a composer, I'm looking for people who make these kind of music (already found a promising one). I also found sites that offer a huge variety of free to use music and sound effects.

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
TURN AWAY! DON'T DO IT! DEVELOPMENT IS AN ENDLESS PIT OF DESPAIR!

But context sensitive cursors all the way. It helps keep the design focused and gives you more freedom because you don't have to stress too much about having objects that look 'interactable' but aren't. I mean you should still keep it in mind - but it does free you up a little.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Been working on importing the dialogues and texts into the game on the weekend. Had to restart about 3 times, because each time I discoverd a better way to do it (different scripts, which did or did not work). All thanks to the fact that the ingame dialogue editor is crap.

I realised that developing games without any kind of programming knowledge makes things a lot harder (go figure, huh?). I encountered some incompatibilities and bugs in some scripts, which I can't fix myself. The community is helpful, but they can't help with every small task. Have to be creative.

On the plus side, I found a great script which makes item usage so much more comfortable than the hackjob I used previously.

The gameplay and the maps are finalized for the demo (aka first chapter), so after I finish importing every text, I can work on the sounds and music. Fucking finally.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I would have never thought that sound design could be this hard. I searching for music tracks for the game, and I found so many good ones, which fit perfectly do the game. How will I choose the best ones? Every time I find one which I feel is the right track for a map, I find another one which is just as good.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
How are you going to interview yourself on Matt Chat ?
I've never had a problem with my 2 sides of personality. I'm sure I will come up with something. BUT I'M NOT MATT FOR FUCKS SAKE!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Good news: I managed to create a pretty nice inventory and item combination interface for the game, which bring the feel of the game closer to a point and click adventure game, instead of being an RPG maker game.The background texture will change, but the basic structure will look someting like this:
30mmwpy.jpg

Bad news: I realized that promising that the game will be non-linear was a bit hasty. I think I would bite more than I can chew with that concept, this being my first game. Creating basicly two games at once is a bit much for me. So I will drop that feature and make the game linear. You know, like the old school adventure games, which I promised to make. :troll:

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Surprisingly, you seem to have made some progress. Good job, I want to see what monster you will create.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
So, what's fun about the game? Why should I take some time out of my short life to download, unzip and double click the exe file?
It's a visceral point and click adventure in an immersive world where you meet mature characters. There are also synergies and a dark and gritty world. Heart pounding action and ... damn I ran out of buzzwords.

Seriously though, I'm aiming to put together a decent, interesting story with oldschool point and click gameplay and interesting puzzles. This being my first try, I'm not aiming to change the world, but I hope I can make something which is enjoyable to play.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I wouldn't have recommended you publicize this then it being your first game there's a very good chance you'll either abandon it or it'll suck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I wouldn't have recommended you publicize this then it being your first game there's a very good chance you'll either abandon it or it'll suck.
Of course I want to publicize this, I need the feedback and money of other people to improve myself. I will definitely not abandon it. As for sucking, we will see.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
As much as I dislike J_C (and almost everyone else despite trying to be nice all the time), I'd like to see what the fuck is going to happen with this thing.
At the very least codexers will have even more reasons to hound this piece of shit into oblivion.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Expanded the demo version of the game with 2 new maps, one of which is an old, underground monastery, which had been ravaged a decade ago, its people murdered:
rkna6g.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Aw man aw man aw man, I did it! I did it again! I managed to import the graphics of the new RPG Maker engine to the older (and used) editor. Reason for this is that the new graphics look better, but the old editor is still miles better then the new one. But this way I managed to make the best of both worlds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Fuck this RPG Maker engine! I wasted all my day trying to implement a script which make a simple feature as displaying text above characters head available, but the engine and the script produces one bug after another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom