Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News A part of Flagship becomes Runic

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Flagship Studios

I should've posted this yesterday, but it was Sunday so I went to church. Anyway, it might be of sorta bizarro-perverse interest to some of you that some of the guys from the now defunct Flagship (the devs behind the <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">failed</a> Hellgate: London) decided they didn't want to change their careers, at least not yet. So if any of you desperately wanted to play Mythos, you might be given a chance to do so after all.<blockquote>Seattle, Washington - August 8th, 2008 - The former Flagship Studios Seattle team is proud to announce their reformation as Runic Games (www.runicgames.com). As the team responsible for the highly-anticipated Mythos at Flagship Studios, Runic Games intends to continue to use their expertise in the Action-RPG MMO genre to create the best games in this market.
<br>
<br>
The studio is headed by Travis Baldree and Max Schaefer. Travis served as Project Director for Mythos at Flagship Seattle, and previously created the bestselling Action-RPG FATE. Max was the Executive Producer for Mythos, and one of the original founders of Blizzard North, the creators of the bestselling Diablo franchise. He was also one of the founding members of Flagship Studios.
<br>
<br>
Announcements about Runic Games' forthcoming projects will be made in the coming days.</blockquote>So where's Roper? Anyway, since they're going to concentrate on MMOs, I don't think we're going to cover them. <a href="http://www.runicgames.com/">Here</a>'s their website.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Jason

chasing a bee
Anyway, it might be of sorta bizarro-perverse interest to some of you that some of the guys from the now defunct Flagship (the devs behind the failed Hellgate: London) decided they didn't want to change their careers, at least not yet. So if any of you desperately wanted to play Mythos, you might be given a chance to do so after all.
Just to clarify, these guys didn't work on Hellgate, they were the team working on Mythos. And they've said they don't have the rights to Mythos so their next project will be something new.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I wish Baldree would just make another SP action RPG, but with an MP mode this time. He's obviously able to create a decent, polished title, but I doubt he could repeat his FATE success with Yet Another MMORPG™. The market's just oversaturated. ARPGs aren't exactly a rare breed either, but there's only a handful of good ones and I think people are more likely to purchase more than one SP game, than to subscribe to numerous MMOs simultaneously. Most people will just settle with the one they like best and chances are, it's going to be one of the big ones, not the new game by "those guys from Flagship".

Thrasher

Erudite
I'd laugh if it weren't so sad. Some argue that HGL failed because it tried to break into the MMO market.

Is it the lure of Blizzard-like riches that causes folks to make the same mistakes? Or an altruistic desire to make a better MMO?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom