Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A pleasant side-effect of completing cRPGs

A bit of a pointless thread I guess, but I just wanted to say that one of the hidden joys of completing quality cRPGs (many of them from years long gone by), is that now, I can often recognize the profile pictures of other Codex members. Where before it was "the bloom blonde picture" or "the pixelated cat-person image" or "some weirdo in fancy sunglasses", now it's like "Ahhhh, Kaelyn the Dove, sigh...", or "Oooh, the Iskai people of Albion" or "Ohhhh, Beckett the Vampire historian", and a flood of warm fuzzy memories starts pouring in. So as a corollary, all of you still using the little red codex man default image, pick one from some RPG you love, the more obscure, the better, to give the rest of us yet another (minor) reason to play it.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Anyone know which game mine is from? I just thought it looked suitably thrusting, but everyone could be secretly mocking me for my shit taste as far as I know.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Some random guy in the wasteland 2 build advice thread praised me for my shadowrun troll and I was like wtf

Athelas

Arcane
On the other hand, one of the possible annoyances is that you can't help but associate certain characters with the Codex members that use their portraits.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you managed to complete the one mine is from you deserve a citizen kane applause.

zeitgeist

Magister
If you managed to complete the one mine is from you deserve a citizen kane applause.
I'm pretty sure I used to hex edit either the money or the humanity meter, possibly both, but I can't quite recall if I had a truly legitimate reason for it.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So where's Excidium II's creepy pedophile sadist monk from?

20307.jpg

pippin

But where's mine from?

Haven't played that game yet, but I plan to just because the descriptions make it sound interesting. That said, Google search makes this thing quite boring. BTW, searching that image got me tons of random pics of cats and one text result, which was a wiki of the game you took it from.

pippin

That Phantasy Star was also one of the first tb rpgs I ever played :M I thought the concept of a tb game was quite interesting, and I was like 10. I can't figure out why people hate the idea of turn based games so much.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But where's mine from?

Haven't played that game yet, but I plan to just because the descriptions make it sound interesting. That said, Google search makes this thing quite boring. BTW, searching that image got me tons of random pics of cats and one text result, which was a wiki of the game you took it from.

Actually I asked because I can't remember, and it's a game that I haven't played.

But where's mine from?

Dead State?

Sounds likely.

pippin

Actually I asked because I can't remember, and it's a game that I haven't played.

Yes it's from Dead State. I avoided it because I took the question as a challenge, but as I said google makes these sort of things quite dull. You don't really have to look for info yourself. My researcher spirit feels sad.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Yes it's from Dead State. I avoided it because I took the question as a challenge, but as I said google makes these sort of things quite dull. You don't really have to look for info yourself. My researcher spirit feels sad.

And now I find that it's a female cat. :roll:

Perkel

Arcane
and then people talk about that mask being from Dark Souls 2

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
For me it's the opposite. When I see the avatar in-game the character is now forever associated with that particular user.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A bit of a pointless thread I guess, but I just wanted to say that one of the hidden joys of completing quality cRPGs (many of them from years long gone by), is that now, I can often recognize the profile pictures of other Codex members. Where before it was "the bloom blonde picture" or "the pixelated cat-person image" or "some weirdo in fancy sunglasses", now it's like "Ahhhh, Kaelyn the Dove, sigh...", or "Oooh, the Iskai people of Albion" or "Ohhhh, Beckett the Vampire historian", and a flood of warm fuzzy memories starts pouring in. So as a corollary, all of you still using the little red codex man default image, pick one from some RPG you love, the more obscure, the better, to give the rest of us yet another (minor) reason to play it.

10795.jpg

Yes. Play the game my avatar is from.

PLAY IT!

For me it's the opposite. When I see the avatar in-game the character is now forever associated with that particular user.

I'm playing Fallout 2 these days. I've lost count how many times I've slaughtered Melcar by this point...and I just reached Vault City.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom