Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A suggestion...

Deathy

Liturgist
Right. I've been baited into action.

Rather than banning anybody, which I don't think anyone agrees to, I will be writing an FAQ to abide by in the general RPG discussion forum. After I write it, I'll run it by you guys for feedback purposes, then when we're mostly satisfied, I'll sticky it in the general RPG discussion forum.

I should have a draft here by later today.

Psilon

Erudite
I also agree that the boards have gone downhill in the last two months. I shall at least partly attribute this decline to the current time. Look outside; it's not summer anymore. Students are back in school and not able to check the boards every hour. Deadlines are looming at work. ToEE is out, and so far the majority of us seem to be playing it, even though bugs may be infesting certain people's systems. As a result, there are a lot more demands on our copious free time.

This starts something of a vicious cycle; as the quality drops, more people are likely to drop to "occasional" status. I'm not saying I contribute substantially to every thread I touch, but I can't be the only one who's getting bored and checking less frequently.

Volourn's irritating, and I wish he'd spell- and grammar-check his posts, but I don't think kicking him out at the provocation of a first-time poster is warranted. Yes, he's an LOL type, and his BioWare fanboyism drives me nuts, but he's only half the problem. The rest of the problem is the faction which can't resist jabbing at NWN with every post. Look at the "I'm in an RPG dry spell, please help" thread. That got derailed instantly.

Quite frankly, I'm more sick of the NWN/ToEE arguments than anything else on this board. I'd rather see more goatse links than another "Party alignment! Lawful Good for hire! Bad voice acting! Broken game rules!" flamewar. The consoles-suck speech, while I agree with it, is getting old as well. We've gotten stale, and I think we realize it.

As a result, since I see Deathy's gotten an official post in while I typed this, I'd rather call for a general quarantine on the following topics. Please, keep 'em in their own threads!
  • ToEE bugs or lack thereof
  • NWN, why it does or doesn't suck
  • Fallout 3 ("Van Buren"), the probable suit-induced suckage thereof
  • Moronic console gamers and the games that pander to them
  • Lack of entertaining dialogue in Hommlet

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Psilon, that one thread you mention WAS my fault. I'll take the blame for that one falling down...

Deathy

Liturgist
General RPG Discussion Forum: Guidelines and FAQ

First of all, a preamble, if you will. For over a year, this forum has made do with little to no moderation, with the exception of occasional blatant trolls and spammers. Now, sadly, some kind of moderation has become necessary. I don't want to have to become a board nazi, as this will scare too many of you away, and it'd take up too much of my time. Instead, I'm going to aim for a form of self-moderation. By following the guidelines listed in this post and reading and understanding the frequently asked questions, there should be no need for excessive or heavy handed moderation. So,

without any further comment, we start with the guidelines.

Guidelines

1) Intelligent posts.
You may take it for granted that all of your posts are pure gold, the most intelligent writings that have ever been known to man. Even if they are (unlikely), you still need to read over your own work before you post, to ensure what you have written isn't complete crap, and to provide other forum members with material that they would enjoy reading. If they don't enjoy reading your opinion, they're likely to not read your posts at all.

Things that you can do to make your posts more intelligent
  • Read over your post. Have any gaping holes in your arguments? Is your spelling and grammar up to scratch? Is your post hard to read because of formatting? Basically, a good deal of problems can be solved by simply reading over your post before others get to see it.
  • Figure out what you have to contribute. Do you actually have anything to add to the discussion? Is your post a simple me too style statement, has your opinion already be stated by somebody else? If so, do you have a new spin on that opinion or can you state it more eloquently? In the case of short witticisms; is it funny? Try to view your reasons for posting objectively if you can.
  • Stay on topic. Simple concept, you'd think, but look how many topics get thrown into the region of completely unrelated tangents in the space of twenty posts. If a tangent interests you so much, start a (quality) thread about it, rather than hijacking somebody elses. If the tangent isn't worth creating a thread about, is it really worth posting about at all?
  • Don't contribute to pointless arguments or debates. If the same argument is one that keeps popping up every few weeks, and never gets resolved, continue at all? Generally, there isn't anything new to add when these arguments pop up, so basically, all you are doing is wasting your writing talent (even if you have none) on something that could be much better spent expressing your thoughts on new and interesting topics.

2) Trolling, flamewars and other forum degrading actions.
Simply: DO NOT Troll, spam or engage in personal attacks on other forum members. If somebody is trying to bait you into doing so, do not humor them.
Why? Because, and this may come to a shock to some of you, these things really destroy the quality of these boards. If you want to find an RPG board that allows and even encourages these things to a certain level, you can try the IPLY forums. If you came from the IPLY forums, know that this shit doesn't fly here. We may be angry and bitter folks, but that doesn't mean we don't treasure the intelligent discussion we have here at RPG Codex. If you just can't help yourself and have to spam, troll or engage in flamewars, we really don't need you here.

3) Post Length
This ties in with figuring out what you have to contribute in the earlier section on intelligent posts. At RPG Codex, many of us prefer to read longer posts (if they are written well). So longer posts are generally better. However, if you have nothing really to contribute, long posts filled with pointless and nonsensical crap are not the thing to do. If your post is short, you may have to re-assess why you are posting and what you have to contribute. Don't post things without thinking about them first. Develop your arguments if your post seems too short. Flesh things out wiht (good) examples, use metaphors if you know how to do this properly.
And remember, this message board is not a public IM service or chat room. If you want to chat with people, try our IRC channel, or use some kind of IM client such as ICQ. Use the message board for in depth discussion.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What games should I play?
1.1 Commercial CRPG's.
1.2 Independently Developed CRPG's.
2. I think BioWare does/doesn't suck. Am I right?
2.1 Notes on BioWare discussion
2.2 Notes on NWN discussion
2.3 Notes on Infinity Engine game discussion

1. What games should I play?
Games that you should play are split into two categories. Commercial RPG's and Independent RPG's. These are games that the majority of us who post at RPGCodex have played, and therefore, if you want to contribute with an informed opinion, you will need to play these too.

1.1 Commercial CRPG's
  • Fallout - Regarded by many here as the best CRPG ever made. If you haven't played this, you may find it quite difficult to contribute on these boards.
  • Arcanum - A decent CRPG with quite a few problems, which are arguably made up for in the excellent NPC dialog system.
  • Planescape: Torment - <I haven't played it, so somebody else needs to write up a short, objective description of it>
<<I'm debating putting BioWare games in here as opinion is quite divided as to whether they are quality. Even though I dislike them, other folks here recommend them and I'd like to be fair.>>

1.2 Independent CRPG's
  • Avernum series - Consistently excellent party based CRPG's.
  • Geneforge - Turn based CRPG with a unique setting.
  • Prelude to Darkness - Good CRPG with an interesting turn based combat system.

2. I think BioWare does/doesn't suck. Am I right?
In short, you might be, but it has gotten to the point that on this forum, we no longer think it is contstructive to discuss the merits of BioWare's previous games. We cover BioWare games in the news section of the site, if you feel it completely necessary to do so, talk about your opinions on BioWare there.

2.1 Notes on BioWare discussion.
Ever since this site opened, one of the main topics has been BioWare. Basically, the staff and a large portion of the readers think that BioWare suck. Nearly everything about them has been gone over numerous times, and people are getting sick of hearing the same arguments over and over. So, before you start another BioWare related post, just don't do it.

2.2 Notes on NWN discussion.
It is virtually uncontested that the single player campaign that shipped with BioWare's NWN was of low quality. We've heard it all before and nobody disagrees with it. If you decide to discuss the NWN OC with praise, then prepare to be laughed off the forum.

2.2 Notes on Infinity Engine game discussion
This isn't as old as NWN discussion, but it is generally more contested. If you want to discuss specific implementations of the Infinity Engine, don't get emotional about it.

Notes: The FAQ is really incomplete, I'm kind of tired of writing at the moment.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's very good. What I'd like to add is that people shouldn't post news topics (guilty of that myself) in the general rpg discussion, but should email or pm Saint or Spazmo instead. That would make it more organized.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Whoa, that might be a bit too extra work for them, not to mention too restrictive for forum users. I think people should be free of posting new topics, as long as the theme is not to spam/troll, or as long as it isn't for specific hate propaganda against certain games/companies. Conversations, and new thread posting, on all things about computer roleplaying games should be allowed and not needed to be supervised.

What can happen, though, is if we see a certain user has a certain tendency to take threads into trolling/flamming hell, the user should start having limitations to new threads/posts it can post per day, or week. Everyone should be given a clean start, but if certain users go down that path, Saint or Spazmo should whip them up some moderations, and even warnings them that their behaviour is limiting their abilities/privileges.

... why does this seem like the ruleset for a message board RPG? :wink:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Role-Player said:
Whoa, that might be a bit too extra work for them, not to mention too restrictive for forum users
What I said about news was regarding news topics that traditionally belong in the news section: reviews, interviews, gone gold, etc. They are going to be reposted anyway, so why create duplications?

What can happen, though, is if we see a certain user has a certain tendency to take threads into trolling/flamming hell, the user should start having limitations to new threads/posts it can post per day, or week
I'm against all forms of restriction. It's not that bad. Granted, lately things were kinda silly, mostly on account of having nothing to play for a long time. Almost everyone contributed to that silliness, but now that we all discussed it in a respectful manner :wink:, things should go back to normal. I like Deathy's guideline as it can help to put an end to constantly-respawning "what should I play" and "Bio does/does not suck". It's about time the FAQs are properly answered.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
ooh, a witchhunt! I brought some firewood and rope! :wink:

rather than a simple word count, it'd be great if the system could limit the number of responses you could make in a day if those posts weren't a certain length. Say max 2/day if they're under 25 words...but i doubt it can do something like that.

I like (Deathy's?) suggestion about mentioning Bioware/Troika and automatically losing the conversation. I think the topic of Bioware/Troika has become quite stale and has more to do with current problems than any single user. Nothing derails a topic quicker than somebody leaping in with that...

Jed

Cipher
Yeah, I have to admit I've been losing interest. I decided to mostly lurk until I can learn how to utterly ignore the V-man in the hopes he'll eventually get bored and leave if he has no one who will argue with him. I love to discuss, but I actually really hate to argue...

Meh. Everything was always better in the good old days...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Well, the problem here is that boring discussions about BioWare which have been done ad nauseam keep resurfacing in totally unrelated discussions. Ultimately, however, these BioBashing events don't really contribute anything at all and only serve to derail an otherwise good thread. Therefore, we have to stop these pointless discussions.
I am at a loss for words...

VD, listen up: this is a good suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom