Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A tranny who hates Deus Ex

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Hey, who cares about details after your CV looks like this:

* Frank & Jesse (1994) ... Detective Whitcher
* Beverly Hills, 90210 (1994) ... Joe (single episode)
* ER (1997) ... Weissbroot (single episode)
* Frasier (1997) ... Waiter (two episodes)
* The King of Queens (2001) ... Guy (one episode)
* The West Wing (2003-2005) ... Gordon (nine episodes)
* The Office (US) (2006-2007) ... Gil (four episodes)
* The Nine (2006) ... Mario (two episodes)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I vaguely recall this review, didn't he have issues with clumsy shooting, easily exploited stealth, and contrived air ducts everywhere? Those are legitimate issues. It'd help if the review actually still existed.
Sergiu64 said:
I remember trying Deus Ex about 6 years back... didn't like it cause cattle prod had very limited ammo and I felt like I couldn't play it stealth mode like the Thief games. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance I suppose.
There's a dead police officer right when you leave the docks, click him for a baton. Silently knock people out to your heart's content.

Destroid

Arcane
I guess now that I have the bulletshield augment and an assault rifle, run and gun is a bit more viable.

Destroid said:
I guess now that I have the bulletshield augment and an assault rifle, run and gun is a bit more viable.

I should think so. Though there is little more satisfying than creeping through tunnels, popping up into labs, accessing a computer and releasing beasties to do your dirty work...then watching it on the security monitors.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
treave said:
The technology available to make real open world games only emerged with the release of Grand Theft Auto 3.
There is nothing technologically impressive about GTA3.

Parody is lost on the 'dex.

J1M

Arcane
Unlike most games, which have tiny levels and only one way for the player to interact with the AI, Deus Ex's AI can look worse than it is if you push it to.

It's still better than that guard who realistically paths back and forth forever with a ! sign over his head if he sees you.

GarfunkeL said:
Hey, who cares about details after your CV looks like this:

* Frank & Jesse (1994) ... Detective Whitcher
* Beverly Hills, 90210 (1994) ... Joe (single episode)
* ER (1997) ... Weissbroot (single episode)
* Frasier (1997) ... Waiter (two episodes)
* The King of Queens (2001) ... Guy (one episode)
* The West Wing (2003-2005) ... Gordon (nine episodes)
* The Office (US) (2006-2007) ... Gil (four episodes)
* The Nine (2006) ... Mario (two episodes)

9 episode run on the West Wing isn't a bad achievement - that's most of one season.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
And as the game goes on, and I'm presented with cliche after cliche, the illusion dies on the vine. Crates. Keys. Looting the dead. A magic sword. Sewers. Spiders. Mana. Fake doors. NPC merchants. Fed Ex missions. Enemies whose weapons vanish when I kill them. The hard-coded plot point when I get captured and all my stuff is taken away. A world where everyone's talking about four-digit keypad codes. Secret passwords left on desktops for all to see. The competing rogue AIs from System Shock 2, the drug scam from Sin, the scientists and government troops from Half Life, and the unimaginative settings from nearly every first person shooter since Doom: military bases, labs, castles, a missile silo, a cargo ship. The costumes from "Blade Runner", the locations straight out of "Escape from New York" and "The Abyss", the characters from "RoboCop" and "The Matrix", the doves from John Woo movies, and even a hint of "Lawnmower Man". An American dystopian futuristic city, an Asian dystopian futuristic city, and a European dystopian futuristic city, all sparsely populated because the designers blew their polygon limit on huge levels and couldn't afford to put in many character models.
Dunno what he wants. Maybe FATAL RPG?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Fowyr said:
And as the game goes on, and I'm presented with cliche after cliche, the illusion dies on the vine. Crates. Keys. Looting the dead. A magic sword. Sewers. Spiders. Mana. Fake doors. NPC merchants. Fed Ex missions. Enemies whose weapons vanish when I kill them. The hard-coded plot point when I get captured and all my stuff is taken away. A world where everyone's talking about four-digit keypad codes. Secret passwords left on desktops for all to see. The competing rogue AIs from System Shock 2, the drug scam from Sin, the scientists and government troops from Half Life, and the unimaginative settings from nearly every first person shooter since Doom: military bases, labs, castles, a missile silo, a cargo ship. The costumes from "Blade Runner", the locations straight out of "Escape from New York" and "The Abyss", the characters from "RoboCop" and "The Matrix", the doves from John Woo movies, and even a hint of "Lawnmower Man". An American dystopian futuristic city, an Asian dystopian futuristic city, and a European dystopian futuristic city, all sparsely populated because the designers blew their polygon limit on huge levels and couldn't afford to put in many character models.
Dunno what he wants. Maybe FATAL RPG?

Hey! I remember reading that review a decade ago! The line "he designers blew their polygon limit on huge levels and couldn't afford to put in many character models." has stuck in my head all these years I guess.

Twinkle

Liturgist
If, however, you have a low tolerance for these sorts of tremendous flaws, then you might want to try a better game. Thief II. System Shock 2. Metal Gear Solid or Tenchu on the Playstation. Even Omikron, Outcast, or post-patch Sin. These are all games that have a better sense of internal logic, games that present a more consistently believable world.

Metal Gear Solid
better sense of internal logic... more consistently believable world

WTF???????

Hey, fegget, I can understand your bitching about DX's flaws, but there are lines you should have never crossed.

Tycn

Savant
[url:1zynjok4]http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2008-10-28/fallout-3-pc.aspx[/url] said:
Many of these are trappings of conventional RPGs, and there's no denying that's exactly what Fallout 3 is, but in an unconventional setting. Like BioShock and Far Cry 2, this is an uncompromising and unforgettable vision. Whatever its failings as a game, it more than makes up for them with what it accomplishes as a place -- and a story about a character passing through that place, changing it, and being changed by it. As RPGs go online and morph into rote progression, they lose sight of this part of the genre. The grey wastelands of Fallout 3 are one of the best places you'll find it again.
I though this douchebag sounded familiar.

also
fallout_3-img3-300x.jpg

Navigate disappointingly old-school one-line-at-a-time dialogue trees.
:retarded:

Angthoron

Arcane
Is this guy trolling or is he for real? Somehow I have associated that name with trollery before.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Multi-headed Cow said:
Roguey said:
It'd help if the review actually still existed.
http://web.archive.org/web/200108052346 ... eusex.html
Thanks, I made an effort to look for it yesterday, but the wiki link was broken and RPS guy said it was gone, so I didn't give it enough of an effort.

Anyway, some of that's dumb, but a lot of it seems fair, and if the Codex existed back in 2000, a lot of people here would be saying the same things. With some tweaks here and there it could pass as an Alpha Protocol review. One's enjoyment of Deus Ex probably depends on whether or not you think something can be greater than the sum of its mediocre parts. For me it can be, but I can understand other people thinking otherwise.

Destroid

Arcane
Deus Ex should get 10/10 points in all reviews for not hacking hacking/lockpicking minigames.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Metal Gear Solid or Tenchu on the Playstation. Even Omikron, Outcast, or post-patch Sin. These are all games that have a better sense of internal logic, games that present a more consistently believable world.

WTF. SiN was literally nothing but corridor-after-corridor-after-corridor shooting, with few cinematics thrown in. It wasn't as clever or visceral as Quake and neither was it as "clever" or "plot-heavy" as Half-Life. There was no internal logic and the world, for sure, was not consistently believable any more than it was in any ID shooter. FFS the guy is complete
:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom