Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview A truly idiotic Fallout 3 article - read it your own risk

sqeecoo

Arcane
Nice post darksign! You sure showed them good!

Bradylama

Arcane
Leo Valesko said:
It's a damn shame BlackIsle didn't made Fallout 3 using Brotherhood of Steel 2d engine. The whole shit with "Fallout going 3d" is making me sick.

Get over it.

Krafter

Scholar
Nice job, Darksign.

Funny how the Codex is supposed to be the raving idiots, but we are the ones that have some meat to what we say. Why would Fallout be 'unplayable?' Why is the new 'Fallout' 'perfect?' There's nothing to what they say, just endless hype, extensions of the publishers' marketing teams. Slurp, slurp, slurp, a little more to the right. Now, even The Escapist is turning into IGN. Ugh.

I see no problems with Psychojester calling him a shill, frankly. It's what they all come off as, anyway.

corvax

Augur
So The Escapist fell off. They used to have some pretty good articles.

The quote of the original Fallout being "unplayable and deeply disappointing" were changed to "not worth playing."
I'd say unprofitable rather than unplayable or not worth playing. Unless done by an indie studio that is. $20 million or whatever the amount needs an Oblivion type return on investment. As good as the original Fallout is the masses have moved on to simpler games.

Bradylama

Arcane
Saying it's "not worth playing" is even worse than saying it's unplayable. Even being unplayable there's a chance that there's a good game.

DarkSign

Erudite
So I wrote the advertising department of Der Escapist a day ago and got this response:

Dear Disillusioned Reader:
Thank you for your letter.

To the extent you are unsubscribing because you believe we lack talent, then I can only express my genuine sorrow to have so disappointed a subscriber. I will forward your feedback on to the editors.

However, to the extent you are unsubscribing because you think we lack integrity, then you are unsubscribing pointlessly. Whatever the value of our journalism - "really terrible" or not -- it is at least honest journalism. You are simply incorrect in your allegation that we accepted money from Bethesda, or were improperly influenced by their PR manager. We do not sell our integrity at any price.

With this cleared up, I hope you will resubscribe; but if you do not, I wish you luck in finding gaming news online that is more to your taste and preferences.

Have a good weekend.

Best regards,
Alexander Macris
Publisher
The Escapist Magazine

So their motto is "honestly terrible journalism" I guess. What's really interesting is that the email came from the The Themis Group, an MMO think-tank/business dev/community relations group (they helped AO restore some good will if memory serves). Just struck me as odd that they'd be using them or perhaps the mag is owned by them.

I really did have a subscription, but Im guessing they dont think I did. :)

psycojester

Arbiter
See, even their marketing department agrees with me. "We're not shills we're just incompetent morons"

Ladonna

Arcane
What's really interesting is that the email came from the The Themis Group, an MMO think-tank/business dev/community relations group (they helped AO restore some good will if memory serves).

Wonderful.... :roll:

psycojester

Arbiter
I loved their response to xedoc gpr's (i'm pointing my finger at VD) detailed dissection of Ross and his defense. Delete his entire post and replace it with a snide comment about how they don't like his name.

gromit

Arcane
MacBone said:
I'm looking forward to all the kids who pick up Fallout 3, like it, then go looking for the originals and wonder why FO3 wasn't more like 1 and 2.

Err, uh... look, let me preface this by saying that I really, really love Fallout, have spread its gospel to all who would listen, and give so little a fuck about non-gameplay tech that I just started playing fucking Wasteland for the first time. But seriously.

Seriously.

The sooner you realize that many people really do love things that you think are shitty (and think things that you love are shitty) the better.

psycojester

Arbiter
Well from now on i'm going to use the Ross Pitt Van Buren age system when chatting up girls in bars

"hey babe, you know my penis is almost 20 inches long"

Hazelnut

Erudite
DarkSign said:
Update. The fuckers arent changing the article. So chalk up Gaming Mag We Shouldnt Read #3453453463453.

Hmm, I read your post there as if you have had a positive indication from them that this is the case, but I can't see anything in the comments thread. So, are you simply saying this because of the amount of time that has now passed?

I think they should be given a bit more time if that's the case - let them get back from E3, catch up on sleep and read the comments afresh. If nothing is done (and I mean more than simply just correcting the VB 10 year old tech error) by the end of this week, then I think NMA and the Codex members should proceed to leave a single short comment each so they can see how many people are disappointed in their joining the mainstream gaming media. Losing more subscribers would be a nice thing too, although I never subscribed so I can't help there.

Surely there's someone out there in gaming media land who'll stand up for the fallout fans, you know - the little guy, the underdog in this conflict of Beth's making? Everyone likes an underdog dont they?

psycojester

Arbiter
Is anybody else finding Cheeze_Pavilion's position to be absolutely retarded?

"okay its a totally wrong fact, its been proven that its wrong and they've refused to pull it from the article, but thats not a lie because he refuses to admits that the he's been proven wrong"

Koby

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
Surely there's someone out there in gaming media land who'll stand up for the fallout fans, you know - the little guy, the underdog in this conflict of Beth's making? Everyone likes an underdog dont they?
Man, don't make me tubgirl you.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Hazelnut said:
I think they should be given a bit more time if that's the case - let them get back from E3, catch up on sleep and read the comments afresh. If nothing is done (and I mean more than simply just correcting the VB 10 year old tech error) by the end of this week, then I think NMA and the Codex members should proceed to leave a single short comment each so they can see how many people are disappointed in their joining the mainstream gaming media. Losing more subscribers would be a nice thing too, although I never subscribed so I can't help there.

I agree. Whenever you think it's time, I'll post that short comment.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I would have more respect for 'Gaming journalists' (oh when are we gonna call a spade a spade and change it to whore) if they actually got paid by the developer, but instead they grab their ankles and sing the praises for a plane flight, some cake, and being made to feel special.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Russ has actually updated the original article in light of the criticism given in the comments thread. I don't think he went far enough since it still paints his opinion as obvious 'fact', implies that the design of Fallout has been superseded, doesn't back any of this up, disses Fallout for being static, and praises F3 (& Oblivion) based on (I can only assume) Beth promises plus eye-popping graphics.

However, some small kudos must be given for a bit of listening and responding at least. We can at least still tell the difference between the Escapist and IGN - just.

I'm trying to be fair here, but have now realised that there's not as much to work with as I first thought. It still falls way short of what I'd expect from them. Oh well. My point was going to be that his latest article is not complete blatant hypocrisy. Russ seems to be somewhere in between robur and deadaris - leaning to the robur side. Well that's my take anyhow, but I'm too damn tired and ill to think straight right now.

(speaking of robur, haven't seen him post recently.. I do hope he's sticking around)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom