Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A windy story game

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Now they're impossible to follow because they were deleted. Based on the other thread it us sad news. I hope someone has the latest copy to share whatever version it was 1.8 or something. I got pretty distracted with emulation so if I did dl it is probably deep on hard drive but a nagging feeling tells me i missed the last update.

I still enjoy what I played because it was different and ran well enough considering i barely got anywhere.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess it is a distraction from getting cleaned up from drugs? I guess????

I still don't recall the final version before it was deleted. I'll check my drives today but this last winterfrst left my drives in a horrid mess.

Yep, all social media, itchio, his "company" website, guides, etc are all deleted. Wayback can help a little but not for downloads. He drew the art himself and from the credits this was his work.

(Shrug) can't do much about it.

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
I'm still having heroin withdrawals. Dumb shit, you know. I managed to stop using for a little while, and now I'm back at it. No idea where my family is now, or where the KS backers went. None of them have any reason to help now, I'm screwed.

I don't believe in miracles, but I've manually updated a few dialog files on the Github from a borrowed phone just in case a new version might be compiled at some point... You know, just a few more stray ideas.

Otay

Developer
I guess terribly. I've been homeless for 53 days. I was allowed to come use the computer twice. I'm finally starting to understand things. I don't know who my parents are since I'm "adopted". But my step dad has given the ultimatum to seek treatment or die. I'm still in the dark about "treatment" so I will likely fail again, but I've really learned something important: my parents were tricked into adoption. Every single form of abuse has been a symptom of that one thing. There is no solution for "realm of the tempest" to ever be a foundation for a career, because ROTT is nothing but a cry for help. The reason I am always lonely, the reason I've failed at treatment, the reason I'm often in isolation, the only explanation for a sober computer scientist being homeless due to "drug addiction": I was never supposed to be here.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess terribly. I've been homeless for 53 days. I was allowed to come use the computer twice. I'm finally starting to understand things. I don't know who my parents are since I'm "adopted". But my step dad has given the ultimatum to seek treatment or die. I'm still in the dark about "treatment" so I will likely fail again, but I've really learned something important: my parents were tricked into adoption. Every single form of abuse has been a symptom of that one thing. There is no solution for "realm of the tempest" to ever be a foundation for a career, because ROTT is nothing but a cry for help. The reason I am always lonely, the reason I've failed at treatment, the reason I'm often in isolation, the only explanation for a sober computer scientist being homeless due to "drug addiction": I was never supposed to be here.
I'm sorry to hear that. While "treatment" might sound intimidating, and something that you might fear, I would listen to that advice. I have never been in a situation like yours, so I don't know if what I am trying to tell you means anything, but I hope you're not going for the "dying" option. I know a couple of people who died of OD. They never sought help, but maybe their life could have been saved if they had gotten professional people to get them slightly on the right track.

You have shown with RoTT that you have artistic talent. It's a solid game, with good gameplay, and nice art. Unfortunately, not all games succeed, even if they are good. Is there no chance for you to take programming job or something else? When you write on here, you seem sensible enough to me. My advice is that you should not shy away from any help you can get. Treatment doesn't have to be a bad thing. My hope is that you will seek any form of help that you can get, whatever it may be.

I hope all goes well for you, and God willing, you will some day be in a better position than you are in now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That sucks. I'm sure you've heard it all before. Do you crave NOT being alone? Do you seek companions? I find being alone fine as people have shit issues at times that they will shove in your face daily. When you are alone and if you have a place of your own that self independent lifestyle is far better than living with/under someone else's rule, imo.

You'll always have your demons. The world and existence itself seems to eat away at the living trying to dominate the competetion. I have said the same thing:

" I should never have been created. It was God's Mistake. Raphael the angel should have dumped my awareness into the erasing void. I never gave my parents nor the Creator GOD permission to create me. "

It does no good I am here. Everything infects those that sense it with their existence. You have affectedinfected others in ways you'll never know. And by affect it could be beneficial .... or not. Who knows? But maybe everything is beneficial even the worse crap that happens. A matter of perspective that creation exists at all. I'm not a philosopher or an intellectual, I'm a bum-parasite that just tried to get by.

You could stop living but you have no guarantee death will solve anything. If you go by the supernatural nuts, then crazy depressed ghosts exist and worse. Moot point. You live.

IMHO, you keep existing somehow. Your life is EPIC to yourself and that's the most important thing to you. As individuals I believe each is the center of their omniverse. In yours you are the most important VIP. No one can be you and you can't be them.

As to what to do? I won't preach. Who is a crazy near hobo who lives in a hut under a tree on his parent's property to tell another what to do?
Nuh uh! Nope! Not I!

I really enjoy your work and am astounded at the talent there from a solo artist. You have great talent in a pretty diverse area imho. For that...I am grateful for experiencing your work. Damn good stuff.

Cheers

Otay

Developer
All whining aside:

I've pushed a story update.
https://otay.itch.io/realm-of-the-tempest

I only care about finding housing now. I'll do no more updates until housed.

"Version 1.4.2 G"
- some previous versions had 1.5.X to indicate 5th campaign was preview-able
- but 1.4.2 indicates the fourth campaign is playable

Sidenote
I'm aware you have all been through a lot with me and my work, but I need to say now more than ever how sorry I am for the mess along the way.
I'd like to think ROTT would be able to act as some sort of token of thanks, providing some fun for us, but I... I seem to be the only fan.
I'll stop before getting any more whiny sounding. That is what I do lately, whine whine whine.

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
Technical guide added to the homepage:
https://www.realmofthetempest.com/

Explains how to play, but is missing pictures.

- Technical Guide -
How do you play?

Topic list
• Selecting a Class
• Navigation
• Glyph Mechanics
• Team Building

Selecting A Class
When starting the game, the player's intended experience is to have freedom in making an arbitrary choice of class that they will play as. Extensive competitive play may show advantages between classes, but to the new player what's important is not precise equations but freedom of choice. Our system is fairly balanced.

Navigation
While navigating there are methods to modify your travels. The player may crouch and crawl. The monsters see crawling as a weakness, and fighting becomes more frequent. The player then may farm experience faster, via the crawling method. (What's special here would be that the frequency changes.)

Special elite monsters are drawn to music. The player can activate singing mode, for additional experience and an extra challenge. Similarly, prayer wards away local monsters, replaced by more difficult clans of opponents to battle. The foreign clans drawn in by prayers will have an alternate color in their dress, and will be half as frequent to appear for combat. Moving around in the world becomes easier when that frequency is reduced.

When hopping between platforms, the player may use the air-walk ability to glide through extra distance. A stomping ability is also available for quick descent (Possibly used for puzzles in future updates.) Both these abilities are activated exclusively when in mid-air.

Glyph Mechanics
Fighting is a turn-based strategic operation where pacing and glyph collection are the keys to success. Glyphs are randomly arranged in a square grid, and are collectible between turns. For example, by going left two, and right one, health may be restored. Or right 2 could provide mana. The player may invest skill points in the glyph tree to unlock more glyphs or increase existing glyph effects.

The combat experience is based on feeling, not exact numerical data. The player may collect nine accuracy glyphs and see that as too much of a chore to still be missing eight of fifteen shots. The solution is putting more skill points in the glyph tree, no exact math required.

Team Building
The recommended structure for building a team of three is:

• Sweeper, Supporter, Balancer.

The sweeper selects one skill of either physical or elemental nature, with stat and glyph investments all revolving around what that one choice may be. Then comes the supporter.

The supporter does not have the same roll, but has similar choices to make. Their elemental or physical orientation is based on assisting the sweeper. The Valkyrie has "Electric Sigil", providing the team more elemental damage every time a Valkyrie defends. The Wizard has "Arcane Sigil", providing the team more physical damage with each use of defend from the Wizard. The player chooses either one of these as a supporter roll, with one exception. A "Thunder Slash" Valkyrie sweeper must support its own damage. (The Thunder Slash Valkyrie instead uses an extra balancer.)

The balancer contributes a sense of consistency to the team. The Titan class offers "Fusion", providing a shared mana and health pool. The Goliath class has "Marble Spirit", providing stat boosts for the entire team. The Valkyrie helps heal the supporter with "Vermeil stitching". Additionally, every class has at least one debuff skill to reduce enemy stats, that helps the team succeed.

Otay

Developer

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Could someone briefly explain the main mechanics in terms of genre or make some broad comparisons to other RPGs? Essentially trying to make sense of the "3D space" (overworld?) contra the more clear combat and team management screens -- which is confusing, but also what makes it really intriguing? -- as it almost looks like several games in one. ^^

Also really liking the illustration style! Strongly reminiscent of stained glass and manuscripts (crossed over with magical girls, in this case).

Ash_Reaper_Blue_360.png

Is it the work of an in-house artist? (Or is this all a one-person job?) Sorry if I'm missing any obvious answers. :D

Otay

Developer
Could someone briefly explain the main mechanics in terms of genre or make some broad comparisons to other RPGs? Essentially trying to make sense of the "3D space" (overworld?) contra the more clear combat and team management screens -- which is confusing, but also what makes it really intriguing? -- as it almost looks like several games in one. ^^

Also really liking the illustration style! Strongly reminiscent of stained glass and manuscripts (crossed over with magical girls, in this case).

Ash_Reaper_Blue_360.png

Is it the work of an in-house artist? (Or is this all a one-person job?) Sorry if I'm missing any obvious answers. :D

I'll be writing up some character build and gameplay guides later. Genre wise it has turn based puzzle designs based on Tetris. That's my dad's favorite game, Tetris Attack on the SNES. At level one tetris attack can be played by an expert and a pro at the same time. The pro controls the pace of the challenge using the bumpers to do fancy combo chains, while the noobie has plenty of time to slowly figure things out. That's what makes Realm of the Tempest such a special and unique RPG, controlling the challenge without the typical tedium that normally has been expected from starting new games in the RPG genre. Level one presents an immediate fun challenge to the master and noobie alike.

Not at all an instructive video here, but this demonstrates the pace control of an expert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M800AFidMzc

Otay

Developer
This topics a mess I wish I could have a fresh slate.

I'm living with family and have been revising the game some.
Adding content sounds fun but I know better than to do that at this stage.
The plan had originally been to create a fun game and finish the story when it became popular enough.
At this point it's been about nine months since the Kickstarter goals were reached.
Except the education plans have been ditched since they were based on having fans.

Man am I hungry I guess I'll have a snack and work on music. Honk Honk.

Valkyrie team.jpg

game guide.jpg

enchanted omni seekers.jpg

decorated menus added.jpg

This kind of stuff has been revised here and there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom