Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ace Attorney Bros!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by 20 Eyes, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 20 Eyes Liturgist

20 Eyes
    I just finished Trials and Tribulations. What a ride, I really enjoyed the whole Phoenix Wright trilogy. I liked how the final case connected everything major that happened over the three games into one explosive conclusion. My favorite parts were:

Show Spoiler
    Edgeworth substituting for Wright during his illness

and

Gumshoe and Von Karma tagging along in the 'Maya' role while she was missing

Good stuff. I've gotta say, the translation team did a killer job (excuse the pun) with the whole series. There is so much wit and charm in the dialogue, certain 'story-driven' RPG developers should take notes. As an American in Canada, I especially appreciated the Canadian alternate Judge. The high point of the whole series for me was the final case in And Justice For All. I didn't think a text-based game could be that suspenseful. I'd say And Justice For All was overall my favorite, the case in Kurain and the final case were just outstanding.

One disappointment:

Show Spoiler
    I know I'm going to sound like a massive Talimancer/waifu-fag here, but I was hoping Phoenix and Maya would at least kiss at the end. The last case really made it clear that their relationship was more brother/sister, but after everything they've been through together I was kinda expecting it. Phoenix keeps Maya from going to jail like once a year, the least he could get is some pussy in return.

I'm about 5-10 minutes into Apollo Justice right now, and so far it seems like I'm playing a Saved by the Bell: The New Class version of Ace Attorney. It's just not the same, but I'll probably finish it just to give it a chance. I do appreciate the improved into-movie to the first case.

Please be a bro and use the
    Show Spoiler
    tags when needed in this thread, especially if it's about Apollo Justice or the Ace Investigator games which I haven't played yet :smug:

^ Top  
  2. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    The guy in charge of the translation is a poster at Something Awful, iirc

^ Top  
  3. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Well not just anybody can be a Codexer.

^ Top  
  4. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I heard the Edgeworth game was pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Actually, I barely finished Justice for All while visiting relatives in for christmas.

^ Top  
  5. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    I found it to be too easy, but it's very well written. The villain is delightfully :smug:.

^ Top  
  6. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    The Edgeworth game is indeed pretty easy but on the other hand it's a goddamn charm overdose. I think you'd have to try to be disappointed.

^ Top  
  7. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    It's easy, but in a satisfying way (at least compared to some of the moments in T&T where you know what to present, but not how to present it or in what order). Edgeworth's internal monologue will reveal if you alreddy found everything of note with something you can examine (though in the last case, and only the last case, there are like 2 times you have to gather evidence from one thing you can examine and use it on the other), you can make exactly 10 mistakes of any kind (except for one bit at the end where it is 5) with a full health bar, rather than the varying hits from the other games.

Capcom is refusing to localize the 2nd game. :decline:

^ Top  
  8. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I can imagine how that would work...

OBJECTION! Your jewcellence, the witness is being a nigger. What's wrong, tribunal? I thought the bible said christians always had to say the truth.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    They're probably just gonna sit on it for a while. I wouldn't worry too much.

^ Top  
  11. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Yes, they'll wait till the platform is completely dead instead of mostly dead.

^ Top  
  12. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    No, they'll release it for the 3DS instead of the DS.

^ Top  
  13. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    Good luck with that horse, unfortunately we are dealing with Capcom here, I'm expecting that a fan-translation will be needed. I'm also expecting that Capcom will also shoot themselves in the foot, again, with AA5. Oh joy.

Anyway, I finally got around to finally playing AJ and while browsing Wikipedia I noticed this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney_(film) - it should proof highly entertaining.

EDIT: 5 minutes into and already I have my doubts about AJ.

^ Top  
  14. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    The characters are just too stupid for the series to work, but it has its moments, when it is not trying to hit you on the face with its zaniness, which is not very often. I want the dumb medium crap and retarded defendants to be killed with fire.

^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Apollo Justice was the weakest. Also, the last case had the privilege of being the best in the game and at the same time the worst case in the whole series.

Show Spoiler
    The thing that made him lose his job was IMO awfully retarded. After all he has gone through he shouldn't be fired so easily for something so trivial and suspicious

^ Top  
  16. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    This.
    It's way too animu.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    OTOH that sweet revenge. The whole game is a one big plot by Phoenix
    Show Spoiler
    to fuck Christopher over

And it works like a charm.

^ Top  
  18. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    ^ Top  
  19. Phage Arcane Manlet

Phage
    These games aren't jRPGs, Ulm

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Stinger Arcane

Stinger
    I...actually liked Apollo Justice. Not the character, he was really annoying. But the overall story was interesting and Phoenix becomes quite a badass personally.

^ Top  
  21. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I think you are the ONLY person I've seen who liked the 2nd game the best, and one of a handful that liked it at all beyond the final case. Say what you will about AJ, but at least the gameplay wasn't as bad as JFA (JFA has a horrible problem with requiring evidence to be presented in a specific order, giving 2 pieces of evidence that show the contradiction, but requiring you to present one of them first then back it up with the other, rather than let you present the other one second. There are also a few alternate solutions/plot holes that stare you in the face but aren't usable, like using the coroner's report that the victim "died instantly" instead of "the victim was left handed" to depute someone writing the name of their killer with their right hand in the first case.)

The Wright trilogy was originally GBA games before being ported to the DS. Capcom has hinted at an e-shop release or port on AAI2 as well.

^ Top  
  22. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    Looks like the fan translation is coming along well too.

^ Top  
  23. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    How the hell is this game a jRPG? Has Jaesun been huffing paint thinner again?

Do tell. With links, if possible.

^ Top  
  24. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    AFAIK CB was responsible for moving threads to wRPG.

But considering that every jap game is jRPG by resident compfags, it's quite fitting I guess.

^ Top  
  25. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Then nearly 3/4 threads from the Playground subforums should be moved there. Ditto with any topic related to Planescape: Torment, after all the game's structure is the same as a jrpg (lineal and focused on the story, shitty combat and overdone animations for the magical spells), therefore it is a jrpg :troll:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.