Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ace Combat 7

CyberModuled

Arbiter
As happy as I am AC7 exists, I feel like it overall lacked the feel of the PS2 trilogy a lot of the times and outside of its OST, had some glaring issues/missing features due to it having to outright restart development at one point.

All the happier Wingman exists not only as competition but very competent competition at that. Old demo years ago already had wonderful handling with just three aircrafts and a decent variety in the missions given (as well as its own Conquest mode). Hell, it makes a farce out of AC7's separate and short VR missions from the main campaign by having the entire game VR compatible from start to finish. All the crazier its been mostly worked on by one guy for a majority of its dev cycle.

Edit: Also being quite blunt, I'm certainly liking its PSM equivalent a lot more.

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
It's out.

-21 missions and Conquest Mode
-20 aircrafts
-Full HOTAS support
-VR support for the entire game (no TrackIR)

flyingjohn

Arcane
Seems nice, is there an airplane list?
Probably will buy it in the next sale.
E87SvVE.png

ultimanecat

Arcane
Bought it with a spare gift card I have, played it for maybe 20 minutes to see what's up. Seems to run well, not quite as polished as AC7, otherwise feels very similar already. Can't see how the music will be near as good, in the first mission at least it's just some understated Michael Bay stuff. For $20 and a fan of AC, I can't imagine being disappointed, though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Bought it with a spare gift card I have, played it for maybe 20 minutes to see what's up. Seems to run well, not quite as polished as AC7, otherwise feels very similar already. Can't see how the music will be near as good, in the first mission at least it's just some understated Michael Bay stuff. For $20 and a fan of AC, I can't imagine being disappointed, though.
A little tip,guns are extremely useful compared to ace combat.
They chew through enemies like butter so balancing weapons is a lot more possible then ace combat and its missile spam.

Removal

Scholar
A little tip,guns are extremely useful compared to ace combat.
they're top dogs for dealing with the ace battles, which I found to be much more enjoyable than ace combats run of the mill ace battles

considering it's made by 2 guys with a fraction of the budget, it's not surprising

Venser

Erudite
I just bought AC7 Deluxe on Playstation Store sale. Mainly so I can play the VR mission with HOTAS on PSVR. I also notice that AC5 showed up in my library after getting the game but I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the store that AC5 is included. Weird

CyberModuled

Arbiter
After playing enough of Project Wingman

I don't think I can ever go back to AC7 again. Aside from some minor technical issues (which are being worked on already) things like being able to equip multiple SP. Weapons, a weightier aircraft system, actual squadron boss fights similar to AC:0, an option to skip in-game dialogue (I'm looking at you AC5), Conquest mode adding some replayability outside of repeating campaign mission, and the hardest unlocakble difficulty (Mercenary mode) actually doing something than just increasing damage values by redesigning every single mission's enemy count so it's greater as well as meeting tougher enemies earlier just makes it a fucking steal at $25 if you like AC. I hope Project Aces are taking notes in some capacity for AC8.

(also having it's own CFA-44 Nosferatu that isn't nerfed to hell and avoids being a DLC alone makes me so excited to replay the game)

I just bought AC7 Deluxe on Playstation Store sale. Mainly so I can play the VR mission with HOTAS on PSVR. I also notice that AC5 showed up in my library after getting the game but I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the store that AC5 is included. Weird
Essentially the European versions of AC7 Deluxe on PS Store gives you a free copy of AC5 similar to how pre-ordering it would. For some reason, Bamco never put it up on PS Store as its own product for some reason though so it's technically the only way to obtain that version now (and by in large is a fairly good version given the upscaling on the UI and in-game resolution.

flyingjohn

Arcane
What i love the most about wingmen is the lack of the stupid aircraft tree.No 16 versions of the same plane here.
You get a Canadian plane plus a sukhoi-25,which is more interesting then the generic a-10 used in every ace combat.
Also the game can be easily played like a ww2 in modern times thanks to guns being so op.
Also prez waifu beats any ace combat character.

AC5 is considered the highpoint of the series and better than AC7, so it's absolutely worth playing.

toroid

Arcane
Have loved the Ace Combat games since the beginning, and have always preferred ground attack missions over dogfighting.
At a glance it seems that Project Wingman's ground target game isn't nearly as well developed as the air-to-air gameplay. Can somebody confirm? PW looks great but if the focus is obviously on dogfighting then I'll have to pass.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Have loved the Ace Combat games since the beginning, and have always preferred ground attack missions over dogfighting.
At a glance it seems that Project Wingman's ground target game isn't nearly as well developed as the air-to-air gameplay. Can somebody confirm? PW looks great but if the focus is obviously on dogfighting then I'll have to pass.
It is pretty much the same in terms of amount of missions.
Plenty of air to ground missiles and lovely huge bombs to blow up vrigin non airborne people.
In fact,the ground arsenal is much better the ace combat's.A fully loaded su 25 is a thing of beauty.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Best way to put it is that it's not any less developed than AC's ground target missions imo. If anything, being able to select multiple types of SP weapons for most aircrafts and machine guns acting like proper projectiles than just hitscan based on range now adds some flexibility to those missions that the other AC games couldn't offer. Here are the most prominent air-to-ground centric missions from the first 10 missions or so (there are about several more of them past this point too though).

There are plenty of air-to-air and mixed of the both but it's nothing too out of the ordinary ratio wise.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/new-ace-combat-game-in-development-with-ilca

New Ace Combat game in development with ILCA
Details yet to be announced.

A new Ace Combat game is in joint production between Bandai Namco and ILCA, the companies announced during the Ace Combat 25th anniversary retrospective program.

ILCA is the developer behind the upcoming The Idolmaster: Starlit Season, as well as Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl. It also had a hand in a number of other titles including cinematics and environment production for Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, graphics co-development for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, and more.

“We’ve started work on a new project in the Ace Combat series,” Ace Combat series producer Kazutoki Kono said. “Project Aces staff will of course continue to be involved in the development of this new project, but as we celebrate 25 years and three million copies sold, we’ve come to understand we have many fans of all tastes. Our small team can’t handle it all alone, so we’re looking to expand the Ace Combat team in a big way.”

Kono continued, “That’s why we want to form a business alliance with ILCA, who will become more deeply involved in the Ace Combat series than ever before, and create a new Ace Combat. We hope this opportunity will allow us to add even more staff to the Project Aces team.”

In his closing statement, Kono added, “More than anything, I hope fans are happy to know that the next game is underway. With this new staff, we’re creating a new Ace Combat—a new era. I don’t know where we’ll be in the next 25 years, but the Ace Combat series will continue, and to everyone who supports us and creates with me—I will continue to give it my all.”

Further details were not announced.

deama

Prophet
I played project wingman and ace combat 7 a few months ago and I overall like ace combat 7 more, but wingman is pretty decent.

I prefer ace combat's music a bit more.

Ace combat I think graphically looks a bit better, I think more consistent? It also runs a bit better, was able to keep at 120fps@1440p throughout, but project wingman sometimes struggled even though it didn't look as good I thought, apart from the water.

I didn't like project wingman's campaign as much, ace combat 7's was better.

AI was actually better in project wingman which I liked.

I wished project wingman had more plane upgrades inbetween, I only ever used 3 airplanes, the starter one, the slightly better one I got early on, and the end-game super ultra one I got pretty much on the last mission because all the other planes had either same stats or worse than what I had before.
I liked how ace combat had these plane "perks" you could attach to your airplane, like these engine modifications or wing modifications, probably should add something like that.

For some reason it was a bit harder to hear the dialogue when the pilots started talking, I think it was a mixture of foreign accents + worse radio post processing, which was kinda annoying.

I think missions could be a bit more varried, ace combat 7 had a bit more mission variety.

Overall I prefer ace combat 7 a bit more, but project wingman was a solid addition and hope they make a sequel worthy of... a sequel!

Speaking of ace combat 5, how worth is it? I mainly like these games for their speed and upgrade/plane variety, how does ace combat 5 hold up to that? The speed requirement is so high for that I played through ace combat 7 and project wingman with speedhacks (1.4x)! Hell, after finishing them I restarted with a 1.8x multiplier instead!

Ezekiel

Arcane
I hate that you restart from checkpoints with all your damage up to that checkpoint voided. It's just like those Sony games. The new God of War and Spider-Man, where you always get to restart the latest segment of the level with a clean slate and there's little thought put into continuous balance. An auto-checkpoint should log everything up to that point, including your damage.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't remember the last time I was so angry at a game. Was throwing my pillows and keyboard around on the bed, punching my mattress, cursing. The mission where you have to protect base 444 from the bombers. I hate my comrades. Utterly worthless. I'm the one shooting almost all the bombers and they do NOTHING to protect me from the incessant fighters. Dodge, dodge, dodge as I'm supposed to protect this base. I'm not just gonna stop to fight them because I've already failed the mission that way, letting 444 get destroyed. So annoying. The game has no AI. AI would be my wingmen following me as I'm making my attack run. And for some reason my missiles are not locking onto the bombers, so I'm doing almost the whole thing with bullets.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Way too much time pressure. I quit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom