Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Achilles: Legends Untold - Isometric Souls-Like Action RPG with "Innovative" Combat AI System

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Launching November 2

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
The combat during the first few levels feels uncomplicated yet, at the same time, thoughtful of every well-known ARPG aspect.
On top of that, normal hits do a small amount of slow'n'stagger. That means the player *feels* the hits connecting. Such a simple feature that many ARPG developers forget to implement.
Generaly, only heavy attacks do something to opponents who shield themselves. There are dodge, roll (yes, there are both!), directional blocks, ranged, many skills to improve, AoE, DoT, two-weapon fighting, chests hidden at the end of an unbeaten path...
Despite the the fact the main view seems closer to a Diablo-like rather than to, say, GoW or Darksiders, it's a *true* ARPG. Meaning: positioning, timed attacks, minding the HP, dodging, blocking, etc., play the main factor here rather than the honed-dmg-mash-button playstyle of the said diablo-likes.

Man, I cry tears of joy.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I expanded the few initial lines to a mini-review. I hope at least some of you like it. I am not a native speaker, I'd appreciate it if you pointed out any grammatical errors or cumbersome parts (and how to rewrite them) to PM.

------

I'll start with the most notable feature this game presents; it's a solemn ARPG in which you can pet cats. I almost gave the game a negative review for the fact that there is no achievement accompanying the said!

Anyway, let's continue to other, lesser aspects.

This title became one of the best surprises of this year for me. Despite the fact that the main view seems closer to Diablo-like rather than to, say, GoW or Darksiders, it's a *true* ARPG. Meaning: properly facing the enemy, positioning, timed attacks, minding the HP, dodging, blocking, etc., play the main factor here rather than the honed-dmg-mash-button playstyle. On top of that, normal hits do a small amount of slow'n'stagger. That means the player *feels* the hits connecting. Such a simple, working feature that many ARPG developers forget to implement.

The combat feels raw in the best of ways. Uncomplicated, yet, at the same time, thoughtful about every well-known ARPG aspect. In particular, there are dodges, rolls (yes, there are both!), directional blocks, ranged attacks, shield throws(!), skills to gain and attributes to improve, AoEs, DoTs, two-weapon fighting, usually only heavy attacks do something to opponents who shield themselves, etc. On top of that, every kind of attack, roll, block, dodge, parry, usually has a specific follow-up combo.

I enjoyed the combat very much, and I had only one slight, which some of the other players already pointed out too. There is one combat move—sprint + simple attack combo—that is insanely strong and very easy to master. Talking about either spears, or two-handed swords. Most enemies usually have no defense against it, thus it's super-easy to cheese most fights like that. You have to actively remind yourself not to give in, and try to implement other tactics. Otherwise, it could render your game somewhat boring pretty soon. Suffice to say, the developer is already aware of this, they said they will address the issue.

Apart from combat, there are some light adventuring elements such as simple puzzles or riddles to solve , a bit of exploring in the way of going around some house despite not seeing an obvious path, and there, a little treasure awaits. Here and there, you get treated to small interjections such as cut-scenes or climbing, destroying barricades, a special way to reveal invisible enemies that kept destroying you before, and then some. You can expect some basic crafting; ointments, damage buffs, weapon upgrades, potions, and alike.

The atmosphere is really great, and the same goes for music and sounds. They really capture the appropriate feel of the iron age, plus some magic and myths coming to life, obviously. There's one exception in this category though—the voice overs. They are not good, they are magnificent! The Greek accent, the not-overdone acting, every character talking in their own manner! Kudos to that, especially in the case of such small studio.

I won't go into detail about the questing and the main line. They didn't seem to distinguish themselves in any way but being on spot with the 'historically mythical' neccessities. However, with the gist of the game lying elsewhere, I don't think we need to care much about this part.

I encountered no bugs in 10 hours of gameplay save one whimsical occasion. The subtitles' actors got mixed for several lines and instead of Lysander the Hunter woeing his deceased daughter, we had Achilles doing that and Lysander telling him words of condolence and how he lost the whole unit once. The actual timing of the bug in the whole conversation came out as notably funny.

Last but not least, the loading times are nothing short of non-existent. A nice finishing touch indeed!

Man, I almost cry tears of joy having encountered this refreshing piece of gaming development after bearing with many nowadays troubled, complacently compromising titles. I almost sense the faint mirage of Orpheus on the horizon, reaching for his lute and delicately smiling upon my heroic endeavors in this game.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Whoa, the game's got an update. A week after I wrote a little 'guide' on how to circumvent the cumbersome (likely bugged) Shield Throw in some situations. It is no longer an issue. Nice!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOG sent me a -50% coupon for this thing and I saw the devs are committed to updating the game, so I decided to get it since I'm a sucker for this type of setting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know when I'm going to get to it, though, I'll probably wait for more updates before jumping in.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking of waiting a bit more so they can implement at least some of their road map goals.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
this sucks. Why cant have achilles facing cursor at all times? Why cant i interrupt my actions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom