Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Actiontrip reviews Mass Effect

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Volourn said:
Flat out lie, KOTOR fanboy.

KOTOR = overrated

Did you actually call someone a fanboy?

At least KOTOR was a finished game. Unlike ME

Bio were outright liars about the content of ME. During development they thought "who gives a fuck about exploration being empty and pointless, dumbfucks like Volo will like it anyway, so why bother creating all the stuff promised". Fanboys like you are responsible for Bio's arrogance that allows them to downgrade their games both quality and quantity wise, cause Bio assumes they'll be successful anyway. They're just happy to capitalize on the low standards of people like you. And yes, that mentioned mindset of Bio absolutely entitles anyone to pirate their games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
from the crack's comments said:
other bugs: Weapons sometimes get stuck on overheated ( they don't cool down).
Some conversation options give the exact same result.

probably those are game bugs though, and nothing to do with the crack.

the second sentence is... it's just...
hahaha

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"so whom should I believe - a bunch of random players at random forums and Codex (iirc Kingston said ME is the shortest Bio game to date) or an extreme bioware fanboy?"

Yopur logic is stupid. We're comparing two BIO games. What does being a BIo fanboy have to do with it? Dumbass.

"Bio were outright liars about the content of ME."

No, they didn't. Hell, they were even forthright about the main plot (which was silly of them). LMAO

"And yes, that mentioned mindset of Bio absolutely entitles anyone to pirate their games."

Wrong. It would give peopel the entitlement NOt to play their games. Youa re never entitled to steal. Piece of shit punk!

ME > KOTOR

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
Yopur logic is stupid. We're comparing two BIO games. What does being a BIo fanboy have to do with it? Dumbass.

because every time a new Bio game arrives you say it is better than the previous one. when in fact Bioware games just go downhill for the past 6 years.

Texas Red

Whiner
Playing the single-player game through from start to finish takes about 140 hours or more if you try to do everything (that's how long it took me, in any event).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"because every time a new Bio game arrives you say it is better than the previous one."

That is blatantly false. if that were so, I'd be saying ME, KOTOR, and JE were better than BG2. In fact, i find KOTOR overrated.

"when in fact Bioware games just go downhill for the past 6 years."

Total bullshit. Their ability to do role-playing has only improved over the course of the past 6 years.

MetalCraze

Arcane
That is blatantly false. if that were so, I'd be saying ME, KOTOR, and JE were better than BG2.
Their ability to do role-playing has only improved over the course of the past 6 years.

so what did you just say? in a one single post
and what do you mean by improved roleplaying? dialogue options that give the same results crack bug?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Well, there's definitely more of that patented choice and consequence in Mass Effect. The consequences are usually brief, but I'm glad they are there. Stuff like choosing which party member dies is a fantastic idea, but poorly implented, because I. do. not. give. a. shit. about. the. characters. They reaaally need to work on npc development.

The final scene in the game can be resolved through dialogue (absolutely horribly written, although the endgame worked great as a B-movie adventure while the rest of the game didn't), although it doesn't really matter because the final FINAL boss has to be fought. The last hour of the game is much much better than anything before it. There are some would-be tough choices if I actually gave a shit about the parties involved.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
RK47 said:
The story wasn't bad, but never fully explained or resolved. So either you had the change of heart or resume dominating the galaxy...to what end?

So open endings suddenly become bad, because we are talking about Bioware

rrrrrriiiiiiight...

and "what happens next" is mentioned at the very start of KOTOR2 so I don't get your point about it being never fully explained.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Bioware sunk pretty low with the story in Mass Effect though. Especially with regards to the machine race that wants to wipe out all organic life every fifty thousand years. There is actually a point in the game where you get to ask a wisened person about the reasons and motivations behind this ritualistic genocide. All he answers is "Who knows? :shrug: Does it matter?" I'm serious, he actually says "does it matter?". Props to the writer for resolving that tough issue. I can imagine him on his desk on in the early hours of the morning when suddendly the idea hits him: "Holy shit! I *don't* need to explain any of this!"

spiwak

Novice
I thought this was a posting about a review, not another one about DRM or piracy.

tunguska

Liturgist
Mareus said:
What are you talking about? I got my cracked version yesterday. As you probably guess no DRM problems :lol:
Way to go Bioware. That DRM is great piece of work, because it may well turn your paying customers into pirates

On TPB I see this . So it was fully cracked just yesterday. I had searched just the day before and was impressed that there still was no fully functional crack. What was the first day of actual wide availability? So I can see how many days it took the cracking community to crack The Big One. Nice job guys. My hat is off.

@Volourn: LMAO. I thought your first post was a joke, but now I see that you are Yahoo Serious. All I can say is yowza. I"m speechless. So how do you feel about sex with under age girls?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If you are underage boy, go ahead.. if you are grown man, don't. Duh.

@skyay: It should be obvious what I mean. BG2 is a better game than KOTOR 9for example); but KOTOR definitely has better role-playing. Games - even RPGs - need more than just role-playing to work.

BG2 pretty much has everything... KOTOR doesn't.

And, oh, again: ME > KOTOR

Data4

Arcane
I tend to look the other way when it comes to piracy. I've spent money on shit that I wasn't able to return to the store on the grounds that it's shit, so yeah, I've checked out a few games before. No big deal.

However, the argument that pirating allows poor people to play games when they otherwise wouldn't be able to is completely silly. No one is *ENTITLED* to someone else's hard work on grounds of charity. Pirate it because you're tired of paying for shit. Pirate it because you honestly want to try it out before you buy it. Hell, pirate the copy you actually play while keeping the one one you really did buy in its box with all it's DRM bullshit. Whatever. Just don't go singing the "BUT EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY!" bullshit song, because that's exactly what it is: bullshit.

-D4

Pegultagol

Erudite
Is ME > BG2?

How would you arrange Bioware role playing games to date in comparison to each other in terms of overall quality?

MetalCraze

Arcane
no. unless I'll get a wish to take my ass to the nearest store and buy ME (but not earlier than SF crack shows up). or unless somebody else from my friends will buy it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Is ME > BG2?

How would you arrange Bioware role playing games to date in comparison to each other in terms of overall quality?"

Who you asking? Me? I'm glad you did even you didn't.

BG2 is the better overall game, imo.

Overall quality:

NWN Total Package
BG2
ME
BG1
JE
KOTOR

(not counting BIO's other two games which I haven't played them)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bioware sunk pretty low with the story in Mass Effect though. Especially with regards to the machine race that wants to wipe out all organic life every fifty thousand years. There is actually a point in the game where you get to ask a wisened person about the reasons and motivations behind this ritualistic genocide. All he answers is "Who knows? :shrug: Does it matter?" I'm serious, he actually says "does it matter?". Props to the writer for resolving that tough issue. I can imagine him on his desk on in the early hours of the morning when suddendly the idea hits him: "Holy shit! I *don't* need to explain any of this!"

This didn't really bother me to be honest. In the gameworld there is very little known about the races that left the relays and what happened to them. I actually enjoyed it, because it seemed a lot more plausible and left some mystery in the game. They'll probably want to delve into it more with the sequels.

Volly, can I ask you what you particalary like about ME? It's enjoyable and I have a lot of hope for the sequel, but it really isn't the best bio ever made.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Um.. I never said it was the best BIo ever made... look at my list.. it's ranked 3rd. L0L

I like it because its a BIO game that does well what BIo does.. interesting characters even if steroetypical at times, a fun story, solid quest/storytelling, good role-playing (even if it's not at FO levels), and fun combat (imo).

Trash said:
In the gameworld there is very little known about the races that left the relays and what happened to them. I actually enjoyed it, because it seemed a lot more plausible and left some mystery in the game. They'll probably want to delve into it more with the sequels.

Didn't they reveal at the end that the relays, the Citadel, and all that galactic infrastructure were all just part of a giant "lure" by the killbots?

Texas Red

Whiner
Volly, does ME > Sonic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom