Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I've got a question about the amazon ads down there.

If I open a tab through one of those ads to amazon.uk and put the address(http://www.amazon.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&link_code=hom&tag=auk-001-21) in my bookmarks instead of the typical www.amazon.co.uk, do you get money each time I buy something or will the link change after a while, rendering my bookmark obsolete?

I ask this because if your special link is in my bookmarks, I will certainly not forget it when the time comes to buy something. And I don't have a very good memory.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've got a question about the amazon ads down there.

If I open a tab through one of those ads to amazon.uk and put the address(http://www.amazon.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&link_code=hom&tag=auk-001-21) in my bookmarks instead of the typical www.amazon.co.uk, do you get money each time I buy something or will the link change after a while, rendering my bookmark obsolete?

I ask this because if your special link is in my bookmarks, I will certainly not forget it when the time comes to buy something. And I don't have a very good memory.

No, you can't bookmark affiliated links and have them stay affiliated for more than half a day. What you can do is just bookmark any random Codex page and name it "Amazon" and then when that loads, click on any of the Amazon buttons on the page. That's the only 100% certain method to make sure Codex gets a commission. The same goes for any other stores Codex is affiliated with, like GOG.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
No, you can't bookmark affiliated links and have them stay affiliated for more than half a day. What you can do is just bookmark any random Codex page and name it "Amazon" and then when that loads, click on any of the Amazon buttons on the page. That's the only 100% certain method to make sure Codex gets a commission. The same goes for any other stores Codex is affiliated with, like GOG.
Hmm, I thought so. You gave a good idea though so thanks. :thumbsup:

Hello. I got this problem and it looks like it might be ad related. Lately, as of 3 weeks ago or so (don't know the exact date), my browser (firefox) randomly crashes as I open new pages on the codex. No error message or anything. It just crashes to desktop as the page loads. Right now I'm blocking the ads, which causes it not to happen for some reason. Got no idea which ad is problematic (if that's even the issue), since the browser just crashes to desktop . If the tab that loads the new page isn't active, it appears to happen way less (as in it's only happened once or twice in total instead of about 1 in every 7 new pages I open or so). Some pages also seem more affected than others. If I open the main page in an active tab without adblock on, it crashes almost every time, while it's way, way less frequent while browsing the forums. This happens on no site I frequent except for the codex. Anyone else have this problem (Swedish IP by the way in case of localized ads)? What to do? Should I just keep blocking the ads for a while and try to re-whitelist once in a while to see if the problem goes away?

If there's a way to find more info and I'm just computer retarded (definitely possible), please tell me how.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
For a browser to CTD it's most likely that it's an issue with either your Flash installation or one of the ads, though to date I've never heard of an issue so bad that it'd cause CTDs... normally you just get a slowdown. Can you try updating your Flash plugin to the latest version?

Well. I updated Flash. Had the latest version installed already, but I reinstalled it. Then I turned off adblock and opened the main page in an active tab. Immediate CTD. Then I opened it again in an inactive tab. No CTD, as long as I allow everything to load before switching to that tab. I've also switched off a bunch of Firefox addons. They don't seem to be what's causing it. What's strange is that usually when Firefox CTDs it brings up a window with a crash report. Not this time. It just crashes.

Ah, whatever. I'll get to keep blocking for a while and try to reenable later I guess. Hopefully it's temporary, since it wasn't always like this.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Have you tried it with ALL addons disabled? Under Help / Restart with Addons Disabled.

If it's due to an ad it should go away sooner or later since most ads are usually switched out after a while. But I find it very odd that you'd be the only one reporting this if it was due to an ad indeed - we've got plenty of Swedish users across the sites and nobody else has reported such an issue...

Of course, you could just donate a few bucks and get ad-free access across the site too, but I assume you know that.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
There is an ad banner that opens when I press on the Politics, etc sub-forum. It's some kind of cryptic snake-oil ad from some (shady?) company called "Obsidian".

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I'm quite sure it is administration trolling but what the heck... :D

trolled.jpg

This comes up instead of the forum.

attackfighter

Magister
The D&D ad is nice. It actually has stuff that looks appealing (as opposed to the one right under it featuring a random women holding a baby with the caption "I Make $260 Every Day!" which I can't imagine anyone ever clicking). Hmm, but it's not a real ad is it? It's showing up in an Alert tab rather than in proper ad space. Well whatever the case, it is/would be nice having more ads like those and they can probably make you more ca$h than the alternative ads do. This is all feedback btw.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I thought it was nice too. It's a real ad, it's just displaying via the notices system here as the promo will only last a few days. We do make a point of pointing out specials on GOG, and this is a pretty huge one, so it deserves site-wide visibility. Aside from that, there's a GOG button in the top right corner of all pages.

TripJack

Hedonist
how long have the polish thieves at gog had you under their greasy thumbs tal

EG

Nullified
tSiQK.jpg

It be big.

And done broked the other things.

Smash.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That's how XF handles notices, nothing I can do about it unfortunately. But since it's dismissable, it shouldn't really matter.

EG

Nullified
That's how XF handles notices, nothing I can do about it unfortunately. But since it's dismissable, it shouldn't really matter.

Dismissing fails. Newly-empty messages remain ultra-large.

Futile complaint lodged.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's a giant GOG ad on my screen

It goes through Patron and Adblock, what is this sorcery?

Nevermind, closing it and refreshing fixed the issue. BUT I HOPE I DON'T SEE IT EVER AGAIN OR ELSE

EG

Nullified
You all lie.

It never goes away.

It's right here.

What foul entity made you put it there, in the notices section, anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom