Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Your text is stealing my valuable reading time though.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If it isn't stealing your layout fixing time then I don't care

If any ads are actually interfering with the site layout, post a screenshot. Or are you just generally complaining that some of the ads (note, only a smaller number) are expandable if you mouse over them?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Oy vey that's a lot of money. I did donate once for 1-year patron but I don't have an international credit card anymore.

If any ads are actually interfering with the site layout, post a screenshot. Or are you just generally complaining that some of the ads (note, only a smaller number) are expandable if you mouse over them?
No I'm complaining that there is no point in blocking ads now as the spaces where the ads appear stay, just empty. Up until yesterday it was just like being a patron

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oy vey that's a lot of money.
well, sir, if you want more ad-free time for your buck, the most expensive option gives you 1.25 usd per month or 0.8 month per usd as opposed to the 5 per month or 0.2 month per usd of the cheapest one. between those two there are more options that will certainly fit your individual needs and budget.
I did donate once for 1-year patron but I don't have an international credit card anymore.
i am happy to inform you that paypal allows payment via direct debit (though that might require credit card as backup in some if not most countries) or via your paypal balance, which does not require credit card, only that you transfer the funds beforehand.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Thanks for the info but I'm not going through all that trouble just to part with what little monies I have.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Oy vey that's a lot of money. I did donate once for 1-year patron but I don't have an international credit card anymore.

No I'm complaining that there is no point in blocking ads now as the spaces where the ads appear stay, just empty. Up until yesterday it was just like being a patron

You realize that that's not a very sensible complaint from our POV, right? We put the ads there so that they cover at least a part of the Codex expenses, such as hosting, licences, domains, etc. Not so that everyone can just remove them from sight for free when we have a system in place that allows you to do that legitimately with a small donation if you absolutely hate ads. $25 gets you a whole year of ad-free Codex and I'm sure that there are prepaid credit cards available in Brazil same as everywhere else if you don't have a proper one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You realize there's a bunch of taxes associated with acquiring a prepaid card, right? $25 is already almost the price of an AAA game on Steam, now add the costs for this card I'd order just to pay for Patron, and then the usual customer support headache to cancel it if I don't want to keep paying fee for some shit I don't use. Don't think the service is worth the investment, unless patron also fixes avatar scaling and adds a search option that isn't useless

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
$25 is already almost the price of an AAA game on Steam
how much enjoyment will you get from said AAA game? none? a few hours? at most a few days? how much enjoyment have you gotten out of the codex, considering that you spent over 1600 days here, roughly making 7 posts a day?
now add the costs for this card I'd order just to pay for Patron, and then the usual customer support headache to cancel it if I don't want to keep paying fee for some shit I don't use.
prepaid cards aren't credit cards per se. there is no running cost or cancelling involved.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
how much enjoyment will you get from said AAA game? none? a few hours? at most a few days? how much enjoyment have you gotten out of the codex, considering that you spent over 1600 days here, roughly making 7 posts a day?
Difference is the codex is primarily a free service, never had to pay for that enjoyment. Making ads more intrusive to enforce donations is a really jewish way of handling things.

Also easy for you to say "buy patron lul" when you're an yuropean paying in dollars.
now add the costs for this card I'd order just to pay for Patron, and then the usual customer support headache to cancel it if I don't want to keep paying fee for some shit I don't use.
prepaid cards aren't credit cards per se. there is no running cost or cancelling involved.
Welcome to Brazil

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Difference is the codex is primarily a free service, never had to pay for that enjoyment. Making ads more intrusive to enforce donations is a really jewish way of handling things.

Also easy for you to say "buy patron lul" when you're an yuropean paying in dollars.
Welcome to Brazil

No, the Codex isn't a free service. You don't have to pay money for it because the ads are there for that - they cover the expenses that the site users' use of our resources create. I'm sure that given the average AdBlock usage rate among gamers is upwards of 50% at some point blocking users who are blocking the ads will become a necessity in order for the websites to continue operating. With the AdBlock adoption rate growing at a rate of 45% per year, it's just a matter of time because obviously this kind of scenario is unsustainable in the long run. It's not legal or possible in the real world for the same reason because it's essentially a pyramid scheme - it only works as long as there are larger number of users not using AdBlock who are covering the expenses for both themselves and the users who do block ads. Once normal users become the minority, the scheme inevitably starts to fold.

As for prepaid credit cards, there are no "taxes" involved and you don't have to pay any running costs. Look it up.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
As for prepaid credit cards, there are no "taxes" involved and you don't have to pay any running costs. Look it up.
Yes there is FFS. Even ordering the goddamn card has costs attached, and to add funds to it you also have to pay another amount. There's also a monthy fee. Also, I'm not even sure if the ones offered here are accepted by paypal to begin with.

No, the Codex isn't a free service. You don't have to pay money for it because the ads are there for that - they cover the expenses that your use of our resources create. It's amazing how such a simple concept can be so hard for some people to understand.
It's not hard to understand, I know you need money to pay for hosting services. But get that money from something other than pestering people who have no means to pay your abusive fees.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yes there is FFS. Even ordering the goddamn card has costs attached, and to add funds to it you also have to pay another amount. There's also a monthy fee. Also, I'm not even sure if the ones offered here are accepted by paypal to begin with.

No, there aren't. You still haven't looked it up. A PREPAID credit card is not the same as a regular credit card. As for being accepted by PayPal (currently DU's Australian branch of PayPal to be precise) or not, that actually IS something you need to verify beforehand. And that's the only thing you got right so far.

It's not hard to understand, I know you need money to pay for hosting services. But get that money from something other than pestering people who have no means to pay your abusive fees.

Abusive fees? :lol: There is no fee for using the site, just letting the ads load is enough. But you want to have your cake and eat it too, that's what doesn't work.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You should be able to link paypal to a checking account too, but I don't know how well that works outside of the US.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Difference is the codex is primarily a free service, never had to pay for that enjoyment.
it isn't. somebody has to pay for it. by letting ads load you pay at least some of what your usage actually costs, meaning those of us who can afford to support codex more directly have to pay less. using adblock is a dick move (though most of us do it). talking about using adblock openly on the forums is even more so.
cool story bro. i'm in potatoland. average wages between potatoland and brazil are roughly the same and laughable by eu standards.
Welcome to Brazil
you can still make a paypal account without a credit card and transfer the money there, or do you have special policies for paypal as well?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That would be great, as at least Gaben adjusts prices and forms of payment for every region.

No, there aren't. You still haven't looked it up. A PREPAID credit card is not the same as a regular credit card. As for being accepted by PayPal (currently DU's Australian branch of PayPal to be precise) or not, that actually IS something you need to verify beforehand. And that's the only thing you got right so far.
I have looked it up on the bank's website, and the costs are all there. I'm not going to call customer support for clarifications because I'm not a masochist.

Abusive fees? :lol: There is no fee for using the site, just letting the ads load is enough. But you want to have your cake and eat it too, that's what doesn't work.
I'd let the ads load if they weren't so intrusive. Everytime I open codex on the university lab computer I remember why I use adblock here. At least get rid of the ad next to every top post in a thread and I'll gladly deactivate it. I'm fine with the top banner when it's static.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That would be great, as at least Gaben adjusts prices and forms of payment for every region.

I have looked it up on the bank's website, and the costs are all there. I'm not going to call customer support for clarifications because I'm not a masochist.

I'd let the ads load if they weren't so intrusive. Everytime I open codex on the university lab computer I remember why I use adblock here. At least get rid of the ad next to every top post in a thread and I'll gladly deactivate it. I'm fine with the top banner when it's static.

You've looked it up wrong then. You don't even need a bank to get a prepaid credit card.

And sorry but if you think the ads on the Codex are intrusive, then you've obviously been blocking ads everywhere for a long time. The ads here are definitely less "intrusive" than on the majority of comparable gaming sites. And certainly the majority of the ads on the Internet haven't been static for years and those times are never coming back.

As for your generous proposal to cut one of only two ads on the page for you to consider not blocking all ads... How would you feel if your boss told you today that in order for him to pay you in the future, you should either start working 12 hours a day instead of 8 for the same wage, or accept a pay cut of 50%? I'm sure you'd think that's fair. After all, he doesn't have to pay you, right? Paying you is an annoyance, just like the ads. He'd much rather have you work for free. You'll still be there for at least some time even if he doesn't pay you by the end of the month and him being annoyed by having to pay you is a great excuse for not doing it at all.

Funny how such great ideas don't seem fair when applied to your person, do they?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You've looked it up wrong then. You don't even need a bank to get a prepaid credit card.
Point me to it then.

And sorry but if you think the ads on the Codex are intrusive, then you've obviously been blocking ads everywhere for a long time. The ads here are definitely less "intrusive" than on the majority of comparable gaming sites. And certainly the majority of the ads on the Internet haven't been static for years and those times are never coming back.
Yeah, whatever. I don't give a shit about the rest of the internet or other gaming sites, of the places I browse everyday the codex certainly has the worst ads.

Cool analogy by the way

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Point me to it then.

Yeah, whatever. I don't give a shit about the rest of the internet or other gaming sites, of the places I browse everyday the codex certainly has the worst ads.

Cool analogy by the way

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=prepaid credit card brazil

You'll probably get more relevant results if you use your local Google and search in your language. I'm sure a lot of Brazilians have the same issue and you'll get best results by searching local websites for what the best options are. Certainly the first thing I'd try though is simply opening a PayPal account and tying your bank account to it. That's usually the easiest way and shouldn't cost you anything. If that fails, you can still fall back on prepaid cards.

As for why ads are as they are, well, independent gaming sites get what they can get. More on that in the first post of the thread. I don't really share your opinion that they're so horribly bad, though.

I'm glad you like the analogy.

I've tried asking people about prepaid credit cards (to use on Steam) and they all looked at me like I was an alien. I think that stuff is not as convenient here as in other places.

Paypal works with some specific credit cards.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom