Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

spacemoose

Erudite
I'm rather partial to the 'Fart Button' ad. LOL FARTS!

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Crichton, I can't find it (and I likely won't see it, since the advertising is geo-targeted), so please PM me the url of the site the ads goes to. With that I should be able to find it.

HardCode, the majority of higher profile sites today have ads with audio effects when you mouse over the ads. I won't say that it's not annoying in some cases, but such ads are part of the becoming standard. If you're surfing entertainment sites at work, it'd probably be prudent to turn off your speakers for the duration. Or avoid mousing over ads.

Btw, if there are any ads that start playing audio ON THEIR OWN, that's a different story. Those I definitely want to look at and most likely remove. If they keep on playing, they fall under the "malicious" category as far as I'm concerned.

And today you get pop-unders on the boards because we've listened to your complaints and removed the interstitial code from the boards, so that you can again surf as you're used to. Interstitial code was only left on the site pages since it's not problematic there.

Unfortunately an advertising format that'd be invisible and still pay something hasn't been invented yet, as much as I'd like to be able to provide it.

HardCode

Erudite
The clown banner plays WITHOUT a mouse-over. I want to punch that fucking clown in the head. This is the clown banner:

Clown.jpg

And this is where it links to:
http://www.katazo.com/combo/?aff_ref_id ... &ovtac=AFF

HardCode

Erudite
Taluntain said:
Unfortunately an advertising format that'd be invisible and still pay something hasn't been invented yet, as much as I'd like to be able to provide it.

Hey, normal banner ads are fine. They are very unobtrusive. Just popups, interfuckals, and banners that create sound forcefully interrupt the site visitor and are bullshit. I wouldn't care if you had a stack of four "normal" banner ads at the top of the page.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've killed the clown... it'll be gone in about an hour when the system updates.

Hey, normal banner ads are fine. They are very unobtrusive.

Oh, you're right about that. They's so unobtrusive that no one notices them, let alone clicks them. Which means that they also don't pay anything, which is the only problem.

HardCode

Erudite
Wow, now there is another banner with a robot female voice that shouts, "Please type your message in the textbox and let me say it", without a mouseover. This is nutz.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oh for fucks sake, get used to the ads or leave. If you're browsing at work, turn your fucking speakers down or hidden "screamer" links will be what you'll be complaining about next. If you can't handle browsing at work in secret and can't use your small brain to work around some of the things you encounter in the internet, then don't browse at work.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've killed some of the "let me say" ads yesterday, but not all apparently. Same deal as before, get a screenshot, link where the ad goes, and I'll remove it. We'll weed them all out eventually. Starting with a new advertising provider is always problematic in the beginning because of unwanted ads, but it'll get better. Sorry for the pain it's causing anyone.

And I said send me this stuff in PM or e-mail because by posting it publicly you're just making free traffic and advertising that crap more, but if you want to do that, be my guest...

HardCode

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Oh for fucks sake, get used to the ads or leave. If you're browsing at work, turn your fucking speakers down or hidden "screamer" links will be what you'll be complaining about next. If you can't handle browsing at work in secret and can't use your small brain to work around some of the things you encounter in the internet, then don't browse at work.

Hey, fuck off. There is no reason to have to take preventative measures for READING, which is what a message board is all about. Don't try to justify fuck-faced obtrusive Internet abusing bullshit like those ads are. I can browse at work during lunch, which I do, but I still don't want a fucking surprise soundfile playing. And I shouldn't have to disable Windows, the mouse, and the keyboard to prevent it. I have Internet radio going, so I don't want to, and shouldn't NEED to, turn down my speakers for READING.

If I wanted sound pumped out of my PC, I'd be on an .MP3 site.

mathboy

Liturgist
Didn't you remove the ads that makes you wait 10 seconds to be forwarded?

I keep getting them (not that they're a that big problem, I even checked some of the sites out due to my great interest in free smileys).

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I like the ads, I really wanted to see what happened next to the old lady and the dog. I also would like to see more naked women please. MSN has good ads for single sites with half naked women in the ads. I like those. I like to fake my wife will let me hump others, I masterbate about that a lot.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
HardCode said:
<angry stuff>
If you can't stand the ads, get out of teh webz!

And because of all you complainee pants, I missed the clown commercial. Nice going, wonderboys!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
HardCode said:
Hey, fuck off. There is no reason to have to take preventative measures for READING, which is what a message board is all about. Don't try to justify fuck-faced obtrusive Internet abusing bullshit like those ads are. I can browse at work during lunch, which I do, but I still don't want a fucking surprise soundfile playing. And I shouldn't have to disable Windows, the mouse, and the keyboard to prevent it. I have Internet radio going, so I don't want to, and shouldn't NEED to, turn down my speakers for READING.
Press F5 then.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I've been visiting Gamespy network sites for so long the interstitiials don't even bother me anymore. I just automatically click the skip button (I can do it drunk out of my mind with no problem!). However, I do agree that any ads with sounds effects more obnoxious than Vorlourn's posts should be eradicated as soon as possible. Except for the lady that you can type in stuff for her to say...my fraternity brothers and I enjoy too much juvenile humor from that one :lol: .

I am a little surprised that these even get in here? Do we not have some sort of screening process or are these some sort of comercial random package? How do we select what specific ads are posted here? I know very little of how this works.

BTW...kill this bouncing seizure fest...ugh.
click.here

And it sends me here:
http://www2.americanresearchpanel.com/?config=846&src=WC-56873aaa24958:61839:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Some sort of commercial random package for the most part. We don't get to pick and approve each one of those. But they can be removed after the fact, at least.

Anyway, you didn't actually post a picture, so I don't know which size it is and what it looks like... and if it's just a flashing image, just hit Esc and it'll stop. There are way too many of those to remove all of them.

VasikkA

Liturgist
The Oblivion ad banner is just hilarious.

EDIT: Oh, I see Sorcerers.net is behind this!
aiee.gif

Zomg

Arbiter
Is there a way you could add Space Rangers 2 (Amazon has a US release for it up now) and Gothic 2 Gold to that page? I have an old Amazon gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There's a pop-under on the boards displaying every 12 hours that's replaced the interstitial here. I think this has been mentioned about 3 times in this thread by now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom