Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence should have exit messages

deuxhero

Arcane
Like in the old DoS games when you hit the exit option on the menu, you would be given a short message such as "For guns and glory press n, For work and worry press y", "Heros press N, Wimps press y" or "Press N to save the world, Press Y to abandon it in it's hour of need" instead of a bland "Are you sure you want to quit?".
IMO they are one of the many things I have always thought new games have been missing (along creatively named difficulty levels) and if anything else it would serve as a nostalgia trip.

Morbus

Scholar
I think it's about the level of professionalism put into them. But yeah, it could be neat. At least it'd give a more oldschool feel to it, which is nice, IMO. But check the new official forums at the official site ;)

Cassidy

Arcane
Last game I saw something like that was Unreal Tournament 1 where it had a

"Select yes to return to your puny, miserable, useless real life, if you can't handle UNREALity."

Otingocni

Novice
Please dont go, the drones need you, they look up to you.

Please do it, follow in the proud footsteps of some of the greatest games of PC history.

dkif1.png

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What about "random" loading messages...

Meaning, instead of "Loading gfx"... "Loading nice stuff" or "Be patient. More patient. More. More. Yes, that's enough" ;)

deuxhero

Arcane
thesheeep said:

Meaning, instead of "Loading gfx"... "Loading nice stuff" or "Be patient. More patient. More. More. Yes, that's enough" ;)

Or Wolf 3Ds "get psyched"

Morbus

Scholar
Well, what about not exit message? You click quit, it's quit, end of the game. Damn, why do games always (most of the times) think we click things at random?

Deleted member 7219

Because some of us actually do, for the lulz.

Section8

Cipher
Well, what about not exit message? You click quit, it's quit, end of the game. Damn, why do games always (most of the times) think we click things at random?

I think the worst game I've played in this respect was Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Are you sure you want to go to the quick race menu?
Are you sure you want to select this event?
Are you sure you want to start this event?
Are you sure you want to proceed with this vehicle?
Are you sure you want manual transmission?
etc.

I'm fine with "Are you sure?" messages for quitting a game, overwriting saves and whatnot just because that safety net is worth the extra click for the once in a lifetime it stops you from fucking up, but for everything else, the developer should be confident their end user knows what they're doing. Even if that isn't the case.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, don't go all Unix on us and have no message when you overwrite savegames, exit the game or delete all files.

Rulion

Liturgist
When I was little, I had to write a story for school about anything I wanted, as long as I tried to make it look like a book. Stumped on a character name, I wandered into the basement where my dad kept his computer lab. He had a bunch of posters down there. One of them said Unix on it. So I decided to name the story "Unix and the Ogre Forest."

Unix was a salesman who traveled through the woods with his suitcase. When he was attacked by ogres, he opened up his suitcase and pulled out a sword and killed everyone.

TheLostOne

Savant
Rulion said:
When I was little, I had to write a story for school about anything I wanted, as long as I tried to make it look like a book. Stumped on a character name, I wandered into the basement where my dad kept his computer lab. He had a bunch of posters down there. One of them said Unix on it. So I decided to name the story "Unix and the Ogre Forest."

Unix was a salesman who traveled through the woods with his suitcase. When he was attacked by ogres, he opened up his suitcase and pulled out a sword and killed everyone.

Somehow when reading this story I associate it with FO3.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I would prefer the exit message try to keep me playing so that I can note the pyschological impact either quitting, or being persuaded to continue, has on me. For instance, in reading an above post, I realized I would more easily abandon the world in its hour of need than I would subject myself to work and worry.

pug987

Scholar
Morbus said:

Actually there is a whole behavioural science assosiated with this kind of things. I studied a bit at an optional class at university. Some may say that all these extra messages are for dumb users (even if they are, that's a fine reason to be there from the software creator's perspective - you can't make a product and want it to sell and make it target only smart people) but the truth is that many of these novelties (at the time when they were first used) are based on observations of users of different skills and knowledge and are pretty useful for allmost all of us.

Imagine things like warnings for overwritting save games not existing, for example. I find them very annoying at times but there have been one or two times that they prevented me from overwriting a save game that was actually very important, saving me perhaps hours of replaying a game.

Section8

Cipher
It's almost unrelated, but that screenshot reminded me I have a copy of Daikatana around that I picked up for about $2 and never really bothered with. Aside from the sheer mediocrity of the whole thing, I can't get over just how obnoxious the sounds are - in particular the one that plays every time one of about 30 segments of the loading screen bar comes up.

Only true genius could spawn a loading screen that manages to actively irritate the player and make them even more impatient.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Most modern day exit messages are twattish and wanky, and make me want to punch my screen in. I won't miss them if they're not there.

I agree. The condenscending ones are the worst.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
thesheeep said:

Reticulating splines.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
While on the necromancy subject, Afterlife had fun loading messages, all random. One of them was a drinking song, another was the "inverted day" where the bar started at 100% and went to 0, etc.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gragt said:
another was the "inverted day" where the bar started at 100% and went to 0, etc.

From a programming point of view, this is just a strange waste of time to do.
But fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom