Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Longshanks campaign was a surprisingly neutral portrayal. Most American written portrayals of Edward go with the Braveheart inspired moustache twirling villain.

Didn't shy away from his cruelties but also took pains to point out his administrative and military excellence.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Burgundians seem to be strictly castle knight civ, as they don't have bloodlines.
It depends. In practice, paladin is rather rare sight, even if you play Franks or Lithuanians, so the deal with Burgundians is that the upgrade comes up earlier and is more affordable and without bloodlines it's still better than cavalier with it. So assuming you and your opponent have both lots of time and resources, it's not great, but in normal situation when both of these are limited it's pretty strong.
:nocountryforshitposters:
You two haven't seen their unique item in action lol. Spam two 60 groups of that shit and no army could stand in your way,they are super op. No upgrades matter when you have +40 damage on them lol. Paladins die in a 4 hits,when it is a blob it means they die instantly. Also they have very fast attack and they could kill most units before they could react. Pikemen are no threat to them.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Burgundians seem to be strictly castle knight civ, as they don't have bloodlines.
It depends. In practice, paladin is rather rare sight, even if you play Franks or Lithuanians, so the deal with Burgundians is that the upgrade comes up earlier and is more affordable and without bloodlines it's still better than cavalier with it. So assuming you and your opponent have both lots of time and resources, it's not great, but in normal situation when both of these are limited it's pretty strong.
You two haven't seen their unique item in action lol. Spam two 60 groups of that shit and no army could stand in your way,they are super op. No upgrades matter when you have +40 damage on them lol. Paladins die in a 4 hits,when it is a blob it means they die instantly. Also they have very fast attack and they could kill most units before they could react. Pikemen are no threat to them.
I know, I was disregarding the UU in the post, if we're thinking paladins it's not like Burgundians are hurt that much by no bloodlines.

UU is just so retarded that it's just not worth mentioning. It's not even something like Mangudai, which is powerful but you need to invest a ton to make it work and then without like 20 it's still not doing that much. Nah, with no upgrades coustillier is a knight -2 attack(of course if we ignore the elephant in the room of their charge) and 115HP(so -5 Frank/Bloodlines knight) for 5 less food and 20 less gold. So the bastards are going to work well even in small numbers and if that wasn't enough, as I've said before - Burgundians can just go knights/cav/paladins and expect good performance on their own(the economy is... reasonably good, probably there are stronger civs but Burgundians are quite high on the stack), and then they get crazy UU on top of that. I don't even despise the charge mechanic(and strength) that much, I think it's interesting, but it's put on a too strong of a base unit and given to a civ that otherwise was going to be strong enough even without it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I know, I was disregarding the UU in the post, if we're thinking paladins it's not like Burgundians are hurt that much by no bloodlines.

UU is just so retarded that it's just not worth mentioning. It's not even something like Mangudai, which is powerful but you need to invest a ton to make it work and then without like 20 it's still not doing that much. Nah, with no upgrades coustillier is a knight -2 attack(of course if we ignore the elephant in the room of their charge) and 115HP(so -5 Frank/Bloodlines knight) for 5 less food and 20 less gold. So the bastards are going to work well even in small numbers and if that wasn't enough, as I've said before - Burgundians can just go knights/cav/paladins and expect good performance on their own(the economy is... reasonably good, probably there are stronger civs but Burgundians are quite high on the stack), and then they get crazy UU on top of that. I don't even despise the charge mechanic(and strength) that much, I think it's interesting, but it's put on a too strong of a base unit and given to a civ that otherwise was going to be strong enough even without it.
Yeah,the best option is a mix of charge faggots and paladins.

Cael

Arcane

With Mongols, a mix of Hussars, Mangs and rams is pretty nasty business. They compliment each other very well, and with the increased siege weapon speed, it is the perfect civ for lightning strikes and razing.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I wonder if someone will make new versions of the OG campaigns with the new civs. Like that Barbarossa mission where the Polish use the Gothic civilization, lulz. Or Burgundians in the french campaign. It could be a fun way to replay old campaigns.

The original missions are reworked and Polish and Bohemians are now Slavs. Which is just as ridiculous because "Slavs" in AOE is basically Russians. Even their unique tech is called "Orthodoxy".

West Slavs should be their own civ called Wends with bonuses focused on farming, gunpowder and cavalry. A perfect unique unit would be Tabor - war wagon which can be loaded with hand cannoneers.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I wonder if someone will make new versions of the OG campaigns with the new civs. Like that Barbarossa mission where the Polish use the Gothic civilization, lulz. Or Burgundians in the french campaign. It could be a fun way to replay old campaigns.

The original missions are reworked and Polish and Bohemians are now Slavs. Which is just as ridiculous because "Slavs" in AOE is basically Russians. Even their unique tech is called "Orthodoxy".

West Slavs should be their own civ called Wends with bonuses focused on farming, gunpowder and cavalry. A perfect unique unit would be Tabor - war wagon which can be loaded with hand cannoneers.

They reworked the OG missions? Curious, thought they would leave those untouched.

Aren't the Poles their own civ now?

A Wends civ would be hella cool.

In single player Poles and Bohemians are represented Slavs. This includes missions in both Barbarossa and Ghengis Khan campaigns.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They reworked the OG missions? Curious, thought they would leave those untouched.

AFAIK and as far as I've experienced, "reworked" is a bit of an overstatement. It's not like in AoE1: DE where they changed whole missions and even made new ones to replace old ones (most of the time for the worse I might add). They just changed some civs around so that the factions are better represented by a civ (no Goths as Russians for example). And yes, Burgundians are actual Burgundians in the Joan of Arc campaign now, whoop-di-doo. If you aim to win at a higher difficulty, you either won't see them at all or just see generic units (unless they changed the ambush at Paris to include the new Coustilliers) because the Burgundians are always the easiest opponents and are worth taking out immediately.

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
AFAIK and as far as I've experienced, "reworked" is a bit of an overstatement. It's not like in AoE1: DE where they changed whole missions and even made new ones to replace old ones (most of the time for the worse I might add).
I think some of the expansion campaigns are reworked but they were so garbage before that it's still an improvement, but I don't really play campaigns so dunno

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

AFAIK and as far as I've experienced, "reworked" is a bit of an overstatement. It's not like in AoE1: DE where they changed whole missions and even made new ones to replace old ones (most of the time for the worse I might add). They just changed some civs around so that the factions are better represented by a civ (no Goths as Russians for example). And yes, Burgundians are actual Burgundians in the Joan of Arc campaign now, whoop-di-doo. If you aim to win at a higher difficulty, you either won't see them at all or just see generic units (unless they changed the ambush at Paris to include the new Coustilliers) because the Burgundians are always the easiest opponents and are worth taking out immediately.

Some missions are entirely reworked at least in Alaric, Bari, Sforza and the Indian campaigns.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've never played HD and can't compare those. I guess it's great they've reworked them if they really were unplayable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I googled this shit and it seems like the most reworked of the bunch are the Forgotten campaigns, they even replaced the El Dorado campaign with the Pachacuti one, because they were quote unquote "bad". Were they bad? Some people are saying they removed references to Sundjata's mother being "ugly" and deformed, which removes part of the motivation of the main character? Sounds bizarre.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I googled this shit and it seems like the most reworked of the bunch are the Forgotten campaigns, they even replaced the El Dorado campaign with the Pachacuti one, because they were quote unquote "bad". Were they bad? Some people are saying they removed references to Sundjata's mother being "ugly" and deformed, which removes part of the motivation of the main character? Sounds bizarre.
Ahhh it is a mixed bag,some of the old forgotten had pretty unique and interesting design. Some of the new ones are also pretty good. Tho forgotten was a lot harder for sure. It can't be said for sure,eldorado was a lot better than the new one,they should have just put both of those campaigns instead of removing eldorado. Also you could just download HD and check it out yourself. In some aspect it is a better game than the remake. I have the feeling that it have better path finding,but could be mistake. Tho the remake have pretty bad path finding.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Some people are saying El Dorado was like "another Spanish campaign" even though we already have El Cid, and that it was very RPG-ish with a lot of triggers that can bug out and make the scenarios uncompleteable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Some people are saying El Dorado was like "another Spanish campaign" even though we already have El Cid, and that it was very RPG-ish with a lot of triggers that can bug out and make the scenarios uncompleteable.
Yes it was,doesn't make it a bad thing tho. As for triggers well all of the forgotten campaigns were that way. Most of the missions were pretty low level mod shit,but there were some pretty good and hard missions among them. As i said in me last post,just download hd and play them,you could finish them in a day lol. This discussion is pointless,they are a good experience for sure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Forgotten campaigns were pretty bad tbh. I played through all of them on the HD edition and they felt more like mods than professional campaigns (which makes sense considering it started as a mod). Lots of missions where you just lead a bunch of dudes around with no basebuilding, and a lot of weird trigger stuff. The Forgotten campaigns focused more on fancy scripting than actual fun.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Forgotten campaigns were pretty bad tbh. I played through all of them on the HD edition and they felt more like mods than professional campaigns (which makes sense considering it started as a mod). Lots of missions where you just lead a bunch of dudes around with no basebuilding, and a lot of weird trigger stuff. The Forgotten campaigns focused more on fancy scripting than actual fun.

Yep, the definitive rework made them a lot better in most cases.

Lacrymas

Arcane
As i said in me last post,just download hd and play them,you could finish them in a day lol.
Based on some more "research" (i.e. YouTube comments), it seems like the triggers are bugged and some people report El Dorado is actually impossible to finish.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As i said in me last post,just download hd and play them,you could finish them in a day lol.
Based on some more "research" (i.e. YouTube comments), it seems like the triggers are bugged and some people report El Dorado is actually impossible to finish.

I finished it (and got the achievement) so no. But it's been a while so maybe it's easy to meet a bug.

Lacrymas

Arcane

I finished it (and got the achievement) so no. But it's been a while so maybe it's easy to meet a bug.
Was it before 2018? And there are some triggers that bug out but don't make it impossible to finish a game, like Francisco de Orellana not changing teams when he's supposed to, but that doesn't prevent you from finishing the scenario.

Lacrymas

Arcane
All the comments which say it's bugged are from 2018+, so yeah, perhaps some patch somewhere wrecked the triggers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Stop being a fucking cunt and play the fucking game lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom