Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of pirates 2 ( city of abandoned ships) - win/fail?

Age of pirates 2 ( city of abandoned ships) - win or fail?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't feed the troll - it's not a real question

• KingComrade

• Total voters

Raapys

Arcane
I almost exclusively play ship battles in 8x speed mode, since I was stupid enough to choose the 'simulation' mode or whatever instead of arcade; both ship speed and cannon reloading is very slow.

You can see how long you have left to reload by looking at the ship icon in the upper right corner of the screen. There's four bars circling the ship; when one of them is full, you're good to shoot on that specific side.

The more crewmen you have, the faster the reload. Though what makes an even bigger difference is how good canoneers they are.

Doom314

Novice
Yeah, I figured out the speed up time key.

And, my ship has powder.

But no, still not allowed to shoot. I waited over 2 hours of game time, circling and circling and circling, still no shots.

Ship icon, eh? Ok, guess I'll try that. Maybe you're not allowed to reload until you shot on all sides? Funny though, I only get one shot, ever, past that I simply cannot shoot, and I know I've faced enemy ships from more than just one site.

Can someone go over step by step what one does to reload the cannons after selecting '1', load cannonballs. Thanks.

Doom314

Novice
YES YES YES!!!!

At maximum speed, the cannons reload. Joy, joy.

Ok, so randomly press buttons until I finally figure out how to get to an island, then more unintuitive buttons until I figure out how to actually get on the island.

I bumble around a bit, and finally get into a card game.

So, um, what's the name of the game? Poker? Blackjack? The rules? Something? A 66 page rulebook, and they can't squeeze in the name of the card game so I can have a clue? Nope, that violates the design paradigm here.

So I play, and figure it might be blackjack, maybe. At least, he's hitting for cards, and I'm hitting for cards.

I get an Ace and a Ten, figure that's good.

We reveal cards.

He had a Jack and 2 sixes...adds up to 14. Ok, obviously I don't have a clue what the game is.

I had an ace and a ten...adds up to 21. So it's something blackjack-related, maybe?

So, can someone tell me what game this is, so I can look up the rules?

Bonus points: why did the programmers decide the name of the card game would be a secret? Granted, it's par for the course for this 'pirates' game, I'm just curious what's the thinking here.

Anyone know what kind of dice game is played here? I know full well I'm not going to get that kind of critical information in-game.

Thanks.

It's basically 21, although the face cards have different values. I think a King is 4, Q is 3, J is 2, A is always 11, and everything else is face value. It's not a bad way to earn money early in the game.

Raapys

Arcane
For an even better way to make money, go to traders and ask if they have a quest for you. They'll give you transport missions; both the size of the cargo and the amount you're paid depends on your total cargo hold, so the more and bigger ships you have the better. Hire a few officers and buy them a fluyt each and you'll be making 50k++ each run in no time.

Doom314

Novice
Ok, finally managed to do a few things, but I'm puzzled.

Is there really a playable game here? Every day, rats tear through my hold, eating my guns, my swords, my gunpowder...one day they drank 90% of my rum, totlaly screwing up my 'deliver cargo' mission.

Granted, rats were certainly a problem, but this seems excessive. Merchants certainly seem to think rats don't exist, since they won't pay you 95% of the money you're owed if you show up with only 95% of the cargo, after all...forcing you go on more risky, risky, treks to other islands hoping to make it there and back before the insane rat rampaging takes me down again. And that's not even factoring in the screaming hordes of pirates and enemy ships that occupy almost every square inch of the map.

I also grant pirates were a problem...but there are so many pirates around these islands, ships are unnecessary, you can just walk from one island to the next on the heads of the pirates. Seriously, every time I step out of harbor, fleets of 3+ pirate ships harass me. I can slaughter hundreds of pirates, and only encounter more.

I'm also being constantly pursued by a dutch navy, including a man o' war...I almost outfought the guys on the man o' war (just can't seem to hit it with cannons hard enough to matter, no matter what kind of shot I use), only to get oneshot killed by the last guy, using a pistol. I've done no piracy, attacked nothing besides the swarms of pirates that fling themselves at me with abandon...sigh.

Why can't I run away once combat is joined? Why are they pursuing me with such gusto? Why can't my other ships help out a little bit in the fight...they have powder and cannonballs and men and whatnot, but just sit around and get sunk. Why can my ship spin and spin and spin and spin, but not go forward except at a miserable crawl? Only barely, and the enemy ships zig and zag and whirl around me with little difficulty. My navigation is good, I understand how wind works in other sailing ship games...but here it's just a mess of confusion.

Save, reload, save, reload, save, reload, save reload...pretty much all I do, and I'm playing on the easiest possible setting.

Seriously, does anyone actually play this pile?

bullseye123

Novice
Doom314 said:
Why can't I run away once combat is joined?

Its easy to get away from chasing boats, When you see the "Hook" icon appear on the top right corner, simply hit the enter button and then the hook icon, to engage in combat.
Do this before they get to close, the earlier you do it, the better. If you do this, the boat(s) are so far away from you that you can hit the Map Icon again and continue sailing, and the boat persuing you, is gone.

Good Luck and Have fun :)

bullseye123 said:
Good Luck and Have fun :)

Have fun? Every post is something new that annoys him. It sounds like he'd have more fun beating someone to death with the case. Which was pretty much my experience with the original until years down the line, and a number of fan patches.

bullseye123

Novice
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Have fun? Every post is something new that annoys him. It sounds like he'd have more fun beating someone to death with the case. Which was pretty much my experience with the original until years down the line, and a number of fan patches.

Whatever makes his day i guess.

Trithne

Erudite
This game sounds awesome, just because it's been ages since a game's made me rage to the point of eating my keyboard buttons. I think I'll just watch Doom314's sordid tale of hate and regret until I get the same feeling by association.

Doom314

Novice
Gave it up already, for East India Company which is at least playable, although flawed.

Maybe in a few years fans can patch this vastly more ambitious game into something better than a CIA interrogation.

Thanks for getting me through the difficult 'fire cannons' quest, but I'm done until it gets an overhaul.

And, neat trick on running away from boats...just so silly how retarded many of the 'quest solutions' are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom