Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Age of Wonders 1 & 2

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fraps works for me. IrfanView does when I'm not using dgVoodoo.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Fraps works for me. IrfanView does when I'm not using dgVoodoo.
Fraps doesn't work for me, but thanks for mentioning IrfanView. I've only used it for some batch conversion and wasn't aware that it had a screen capture option. It works like a charm for AoW 1 and 2.

Dr1f7

Scholar
Trying to make a morrowind map for SM but I'm new to this any general tips?

Here's Seyda Neen + Pelagiad:
Seyda-Pelagiad.png

Balmora/Caldera/Path to Ghostfence
Balmora-Caldera-Sw-amp-Path-to-Ghostfence.png

Vivec:
Vivec.png

idk I'm just not sure what to do about Vivec, it doesn't really look much like Vivec.. I wanted each great house faction to have some sort of grounding there at the start. I think it would be kind of balanced cuz if someone just immediately attacks the other, the third + vivec could jump in and take advantage of the weakness, so some uneasy kind of peace?

idk if this works, any suggestion? tbh more interested in making the map look like morrowind than I am in balance but some sort of balance would be nice

my plan is to have Vivec's wizard start in Vivec, Hlaalu's in Balmora, Telvanni's in Tel Fyr, and Redoran's in Ald'Ruhn

Dr1f7

Scholar
is the aow2 heaven site accepting submissions? i finished and submitted the morrowind map a week ago and it's still not there, and it looks like the last uploaded thing is from like 2022
idk if i should just try to upload it to nexus but there's no aow2 section on nexus

tred

Augur
is the aow2 heaven site accepting submissions? i finished and submitted the morrowind map a week ago and it's still not there, and it looks like the last uploaded thing is from like 2022
idk if i should just try to upload it to nexus but there's no aow2 section on nexus

Could you upload the map to google drive/dropbox/mega? I would love to play it.

Nas92

Augur
Apparently, if I disable the sound, it starts working again. Still can't get it back into full-screen mode though, it's as if that setting just disappeared all of a sudden.
I don't get why the sound would suddenly become an issue of all things.

So anyway, I could get full-screen to work in the in-game settings, but the settings I get to through the Start menu always gives an access violation something or other error message. I can change stuff there but then it resets to windowed mode.
I tried reinstalling, same shit. I guess I won't be completing the Cult of the Storms campaign after all. Well, not with sound enabled anyways.
I forgot I posted this. I actually managed to solve the issue, had to add AoW to the Data Execution Prevention and I also had to edit the Registry as per these instructions:
https://af.gog.com/forum/independen...me_doesnt_work_for_you_try_this?as=1649904300

Since then I've completed the Cult of the Storms campaign. Tbh it's a bit more underwhelming than the Keeper campaign. I don't have the patience for AoW 2. AoW 3 is on sale now, is that game any good?

Lagi

Augur
AoW 3 is on sale now, is that game any good?
IMO: no. I was trying to get into AoW3 multiple times, and i always get bored. While sometimes I try new modded unit in AOW1, and i spend hours painting map in my colour.

AOW3 is a game about making the most powerful stack of 6 units and raiding all dungeons around.
There is still the option to fight with multiple stacks adjacent to target hex... but i spend most time riding dungeons. So maybe the game didnt hook me long enough, to explore playing mega maps.

Tactical combat is spoiled by Heroes (and late units) charge dealing too much damage, which renders other hero skills (and even units) redundant (why do i heal/buff/debuff if i can kill the target now instead?).
I don't remember exact numbers, but heroes charge could deal 35 damage, while shooting some magic darts was dealing 8. [it depends on from target unit, resistance and elemental attack type ofc].

Faction units are interesting. Tactical maps are beautiful. Units have cool interaction between each other. Levelling up hero is great (lots of skill to choose). And i like that neutrals are spawning out of ass and attacking my rear towns, so you need to leave garrison.

.... as i think about it now, AOW3 is fixable with a mod, but I cant be bother searching for one and trying it again. Because i enjoy AoW4 (with it flaws) more.

Dr1f7

Scholar

i don't have those things. i submitted it to nexus but they need to add shadow magic to their games list
if that doesn't work in a day or two i'll upload it via one of those tho

people should probably backup the aow2 heaven files tho that site is pretty dead lmao

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
AoW 3 is on sale now, is that game any good?
I found random maps were most fun and balanced with latest patch and First DLC. Second DLC ads some stuff that a lot of people are calling interesting and they like campaigns. But, it also adds few elements that disrupts the tight balance of random maps with only First DLC.

If you are playing it for campaigns. Well they are between average to meh.

tred

Augur

i don't have those things. i submitted it to nexus but they need to add shadow magic to their games list

people should probably backup the aow2 heaven files tho that site is pretty dead lmao

That's great. I'm excited to play it.

Dr1f7

Scholar

That's great. I'm excited to play it.
it's up!

https://www.nexusmods.com/ageofwondersshadowmagic/mods/2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom