Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 4

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched only 5 mins of their stream today and my first impression was "holy shit the map looks noice!"

When my dog barfs all over the floor the resulting stain is way prettier and less cluttered than the overworld map in PF.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I'm interpreting the newest dev diary correctly, only heroes can take cities now. No more roaming neutrals or random armies threatening your cities, I guess?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I'm interpreting the newest dev diary correctly, only heroes can take cities now. No more roaming neutrals or random armies threatening your cities, I guess?
Pretty sure they meant every one who takes a city is considered a hero by the population.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pretty sure they meant every one who takes a city is considered a hero by the population.
Besiegers: Sieges can only be started under the command of a Hero. In Age of Wonders 4 sieges are started on the world map. We’ll dedicate a separate development diary on this topic.

Interpret that how you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Suicidal

Arcane
Besiegers: Sieges can only be started under the command of a Hero. In Age of Wonders 4 sieges are started on the world map. We’ll dedicate a separate development diary on this topic.

Interpret that how you like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Seems like this is not the same thing as simply attacking a city. I vaguely remember in one of their older videos a neutral army attacking a city. Maybe sieges are some thing you can do before combat to weaken the defending army and then attack normally.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd rather directly attack a city than wait turns while "besieging" it, so I doubt you can attack it without besieging.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Perhaps they would increase hero limit and availability. So we would be able to get hero for every army.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The map generation still has PF's problem of randomly placing neutrals wherever and it looks really strange and fake.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The map looks much better, but yeah... It's amazing how they thought dropping hand-crafted maps was an acceptable, let alone good, idea.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Anyone watched the entire thing and was something interesting spoiled?

The more I look at these streams the more I see PF instead of AoW, so I somehow can't be bothered.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I had most of it in the background while doing something else, but nothing grabbed my attention outside of the terrible placement of neutrals. You get a bonus if you control all resources of a specific type, but I don't know if that's new info.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Btw this is an official developer's reply on the amazing improvement of not being able to just choose a map size that you like anymore:

There's very little chance of us going back on this change. As you all have noticed it's a change we made between the Preview Build and the newer Streams. This change involved a large rewrite of how the RMG functions and is not something that's trivial to undo.

With Player Distance the map is generated around your player locations, instead of the player being placed inside of a predetermined area. This makes it a lot easier for the RMG to ensure that there's enough content on the Map to provide a enjoyable player experience. This was a lot harder with the Map Sizes as Small maps frequently struggled with placing all of the content that we have, meaning you wouldn't see High Tier Free Cities (the ones with Tome Sets) or the higher Difficulty Ancient Wonders and Infestations. On the flip side, Large Maps would be filled with Content to the degree that there was too much putting a strain on expansion and balance.

Now I completely understand that this is something that you guys are concerned about but I would also implore you to not knock it before you've tried it.
Hmmmm, if only there was a way, some ancient technology lost to time, that allowed people to make whatever map they want and create any "player experience" they wish. I almost feel like there was something like that, but can't quite seem to recall.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't understand the Need for capitalizing certain Nouns like in German. It makes the Text awkward to read, as if they are trying to put an Emphasis on every second Word. Either way, the Reasoning behind this Change is dumb, who woulda thunk it, and there are better Alternatives.

Suicidal

Arcane
I really don't understand why they make certain changes to the series, like removal of map size selection or going from 8 units per squad to 6. Why can't they just take what people liked and add more things without removing/changing shit for no reason.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The stack size being reduced is a bizarre decision to me too. I don't get what they were trying to combat with it.

Skorpion

Educated
Pretty sure Paradox wants to release "new bigger army stacks!!!!" in some future dlc.
Unfortunately they consistently gut games and release them in pieces as dlc content in every game they publish so why would AoW4 be any different from their business model?

Suicidal

Arcane
Pretty sure Paradox wants to release "new bigger army stacks!!!!" in some future dlc.
Unfortunately they consistently gut games and release them in pieces as dlc content in every game they publish so why would AoW4 be any different from their business model?
The thing is the 6 squad size limit was introduced in AoW3, which was almost 10 years ago, for unknown reasons, so by now it's ingrained in Triump's design philosophy for their modern AoWs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom