Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

All of a sudden I want a console

Kraszu

Prophet
What gameplay hacking enemies with an axe, and playing guitar hero for special attack? Even the jokes in the clip were not funny. I just don't see what indicate that the game will be any good.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
skyway said:
Seboss said:
"Generic and bland"? The setting, even if it may look silly, is certainly not.
Rock superhero fighting evil? No thank you.

Full Throttle: a lone soon-to-be hero, Ben, finds himself framed for murder, sets out to clear his name and eventually prevents Ripburger's EVIL plans from coming to fruition.
Monkey Island: a wanna-be pirate Guybrush vs EVIL LeChuck.

Yes, these games sucked. HORRIBLY.

Anyway, Brutal Legend does show some promise, though I have some remaining doubts regarding its 'sandboxy' nature since it may slow down the pace and inevitably lead to boredom.
A PC release isn't out of the question, so let's keep fingers crossed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Action gameplay in Full Throttle sucked hard btw.
Also good job at bringing in games that came out nearly 20 years ago and were done by a totally different studio. EA surely compares to that.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
Action gameplay in Full Throttle sucked hard btw.
Also good job at bringing in games that came out nearly 20 years ago and were done by a totally different studio. EA surely compares to that.
EA isn't developing BL. They don't even own Double Fine as far as I know. They're just the publisher.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Full Throttle action scene:
wses048234.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3xX76mi9pg

denizsi

Arcane
Castanova said:
I'm kinda disappointed that they gave the dude an axe, literally. Seems kinda lazy. Couldn't they have figured out a way to use the guitar as his main weapon? It's not like the rest of the game reeks of realism. Creative world design / humor won't be enough if the gameplay is just button mashing axe attack combos.

I'm disappointed that the game has combat at all and is basically just another <s>shit</s>grind-fest. Comparing this shit to Full Throttle? Just because it's Tim Schaffer? Ignorance. Illiteracy. BLASPHEMY.

This made me recall the video to Breaking The Law. Ever since I've first seen it, I've fantasized about a game that plays similarly. That video so damn cool.

Silellak said:
Is...is this really what we're bitching about now?

...wow. Just, wow.

Being content with shit now? Wow. Just wow.

Ion Flux said:
Lemmy and Tim will eat the rich ... and if they port to PC, I shall dine with them.

edit: For some reason I thought Lemmy was taller.

And that he shoots thunders out of his arse? :braveheart:

micmu said:
Twinfalls said:
This looks really silly. "Let's combine School of Rock with generic hack and slash, bust out the demographic venn-diagrams!". What's there to get excited about?
Watching people get excited over hype (of an obvious cash-in).
OMG MOTÖRHEAD - THE GAME!!1

I just remembered Motorhead, an arcady high speed racing game completely unrelated to the band, was pretty fun, though. Very melancholic atmosphere. Nice music. I should play it again.

DriacKin said:
Twinfalls said:
This looks really silly. "Let's combine School of Rock with generic hack and slash, bust out the demographic venn-diagrams!". What's there to get excited about?

The exciting part is that this game is being developed by the same guy who made Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Psychonauts.
All of which had a great sense of humor and were a lot of fun to play.

Title // Grinding as the main game element
Secret of Monkey Island -
____Day of the Tentacle -
_______Grim Fandango -
__________Full Throttle -
__________Psychonauts (don't know, haven't played)
________Brütal Legend DING DING DING DING!!

Seboss said:
Oh for Fucks sake, this is just a beat'em up in a caricatural heavy metal world. The game does not pretend to set new standards in story writing and depth or anything. Just some mindless arcade fun in a wacky world.

Oh for Fucks™ sake; Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle were just, uh, games, uh yes, games, in very original and artistic settings. They didn't pretend to, uh well, I really don't know if they pretended to do anything at all, but they definitely set some standards in story writing and depth or anything™. Just some, uh, <s>mindless</s>, <s>grind-fest</s>, <s>actiony</s>, <s>cannon-fodder</s>, <s>arcady</s> fun and entertainment in wacky worlds.

SuicideBunny said:
considering schafer's track record, if i had the choice between a new and unknown schafer game in a genre i can't fucking stand and a new bioware rpg, i'd pick the schafer game.

So it's basically choosing beween horse shit and bullshit. No thank you very much, those more sophisticated us know better to choose neither. Best of wishes to you in, uh, consuming shit.

Seboss said:
"Generic and bland"? The setting, even if it may look silly, is certainly not. As for the gameplay, we've barely seen anything except a couple cutscenes and a little combat but it's safe to assume it's 'just' a beat'em up.

Yeah. "Just" a beat'em up, as opposed to lots of things older games he took part in were.

And so is Madworld which is supposed to be fucktastic.
The same applies to Psychonauts which is at its core, just another 3D platformer. Nothing new since Mario 64 and Earthworm Jim. Despite of that, it's one of the best game of the decade.

Were they grind-fest games?

I'm not the one jumping to conclusions here. You're entirely entitled to be skeptical as I am. But it's still a little early to start screaming 'obvious cash-in, 'retarded game' and so on.
This is not Bethesda. So far, Tim Schaffer games always delivered.

When it's the day Tim Schaffer, one of the guys behind the previously cited very high quality games, making a grind-fest game, it's obvious that it's intended to be aimed at the mainstream retards who can't stand a game if it doesn't have more than 10 minutes of mindless distractions.

I'm not really accusing Tim. At this specifically retarded and idiotic state of game industry, you have to do something at least remotely retarded to sell millions, especially if you are to have publisher backing to bring living rock legends on board, and Tim better follow the trends if he wants to sell, and do a remotely good game at the same time. It however shouldn't stop anyone with a functional brain from seeing it for what it is. The game might turn out terrific for things outside the grinding, but in the end, it's mindless grind-fest. An eccentric Diablo look-a-like, with big names behind it.

Kron

Arcane
The main character should've had a full beard/moar beard and not that faggy -whatever it's called in english- thing if they want him to look like a barbarian like metalhead.

And I'm pretty much fucking done with Jack Black posing as a hardcore metal fan. Getting a real metal singer to fill in for voice acting, that would be something.

Apart from that, the gameplay will probably suck very badly; looks like it's gonna be repetitivecombatfest.

And after the ability the gaming industry has shown to be able fuck up, rape and ruin just about anything that has even a spark of potential, the humour and setting will probably be utter shit; not hardcore-oldskool-like metal jokes and references, but newfag stuff.

circ

Arcane
Kron said:
The main character should've had a full beard/moar beard and not that faggy -whatever it's called in english- thing if they want him to look like a barbarian like metalhead.
Soul patch.

I'd take this over garbage like God of War. Atleast this has hot bitches and a cool protagonist.

Kron

Arcane
circ said:
Soul patch.
Right, thanks.

Thing is, looks like combat will be clunkier than in God of War, and seems like they're gonna go for a TEEN rating, with no notable blood or violence.

FUCK, this just makes my dream of a scandinavian-set adventure/action game with power metal playing in the background pulse even harder...

Hory said:
Seboss said:
Oh for Fucks sake, this is just a beat'em up in a caricatural heavy metal world. The game does not pretend to set new standards in story writing and depth or anything. Just some mindless arcade fun in a wacky world.
Will you ever stop being so serious about everything?

Here goes whining about the whiners...
Oh, I suppose we should be glad that they don't even bother to appear innovative anymore. We've had mindless arcade fun in 1972 - Pong. I'd like something more sophisticated after all this time, thank you.

Not every game has to innovate. Not every movie has to be The Godfather, not every essay has to be A Modest Proposal, and not every videogame has to be Fallout. We all claim we want more innovation* but if a game comes along and presents itself as silly fun, it's got every right to. Take it or leave it, but criticizing it for not being something it never wanted to be in the first place is pretty dumb.

* In fact what most people want is for gaming to have stopped one week after their favorite game was released, it seems. Innovation is bullshit code for "I want every game ever to be exactly what I like" and very rarely involves any sort of desire for genuine innovation.

Kron

Arcane
The One True Gamer said:
Not every game has to innovate. Not every movie has to be The Godfather, not every essay has to be A Modest Proposal, and not every videogame has to be Fallout.
Yeah, we all might as well just be mediocre.
"Our game was a half-assed mediocre piece of shit, but it's okay, we never meant to innovate, we just wanted to make a generic product to sell and get some quick cash."

That means we shouldn't be criticizing AP, DA, FO3 and a whole bunch of other games! You know, these games never had delusions of grandeur, they just saw that the market expects certain kind of shitty games, and made exactly that, and ITS AAAAALRIGHT...

Mediocrity has no excuses.

denizsi

Arcane
Personally, I've always wanted a Bloodlines-style story-heavy RPG around various musical scenes, getting in and out of lots of scene places of all kinds of music; rock, metal, alt rock, disco etc. Bloodlines really captured that night life feel (minus the social interactions) in a very familiar way to relate to for me, and I've wished that more of the game was centered around that kind of thing.

Then again, the real thing is a lot better, and pretty easy to live. Still, I'd rather play such a game than any game with filler, grind-fest combat.

edit:

Re-read the above paragraph. Assume there's one such title in development. Combat is mostly non-lethal -regular alpha-male fights over trivial shit in clubs etc. or drunk fights, bum fights, filthy street thugs etc.-, and serves to adjust parameters in your reputation, social standing etc. and is almost entirely circumstantial. There will be maybe 10 or so situations where combat will be critical and deadly, though avoidable/escapable. Lots of social skills. Basically the antithesis of a regular RPG where you get easily 15+ combat skills and a few social and rogue skills.

What kind of things would you like to see in such a game, what could you suggest?

Kron

Arcane
Problem with a game that includes lots of social skills, not many weapons and not much combat is that it dangerously walks the thin line in becoming a The Sims clone. And The Sims is no fucking fun.

I generally find that games are in a sense interesting when the setting is interesting, and that means, most of the time, a setting other than the one in which we live our daily lives.

denizsi

Arcane
The Sims has no story whatsoever. Based on the same comparison, The Sims dangerously walks the thin line in becoming a grind-fest, because the only thing it lacks is the ability to kill.

1eyedking

Erudite
denizsi said:
The Sims has no story whatsoever. Based on the same comparison, The Sims dangerously walks the thin line in becoming a grind-fest, because the only thing it lacks is the ability to kill.
It already *is* a grind-fest.

St. Toxic

Arcane
PlanHex said:
I have discovered infallibility.
It's name is Lemmy.
And Tim collaborated with it.
lemmy_and_timschafer.jpg

Wyrmlord said:
Because Psychonauts actually had perfect polished gameplay. :wink:

Fixed. Now it sells itself. I'm actually looking forward to it, though I'm open minded about it rather than estatic.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Upset crybabies are upset.
This is a fucking arcade game for a console. Why are you even discussing it? Is there really nothing more worthwhile of an argument to be upset about?
Next you will be banging your feet about some rpg clone for a cellphones.

Seboss

Liturgist
By the way, there's already a Motörhead game, and god it sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom