Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Am I the only person who doesn't want Starcraft 2?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Russian sites are no problem, I just snag my girlfriend to guide me through it. I'll check them out. She always loves to lord it over me that she speaks, uh, three more languages than I do.

What do you mean first-person camera?

Thanks, by the way. I often like to watch replays more than actually play the game, especially online, as I'm a mediocre player at best. (vs 8 comps is fun though)
I get distracted way too easily. I'll be tooling along then realize, oh shit I need to build a barracks.

So...who do you think would win? Starcraft Marines or Imperial Guardsmen (Warhammer 40k)? I'd sat SC Marines, as Guardsmen only have BS3 while SC Marines never miss? :D
My 2 favorite sci-fi settings.

Atrokkus

Erudite
What do you mean first-person camera?
In a VOD, it means that the video is recorded either using fraps or other software that just saves the screen conttents, or is filmed with a camera that is focused on the player's display (not a good quality, but it may show player's hands' movement, which is totally awesome to watch). Anyways, the point is to show what the players sees, not the observers. Because otherwise there is no real fun in a VOD, because you can see what the observer sees in a replay, and it's much more convenient, given that we don't understand Korean anyway.

So...who do you think would win? Starcraft Marines or Imperial Guardsmen (Warhammer 40k)?
Ha! Well, I'd rather we put the contest inside the StarCraft universe alone ^_^ (never played Warhammer40k much)

I often like to watch replays more than actually play the game, especially online, as I'm a mediocre player at best. (vs 8 comps is fun though)
I used to play SC on a pretty good level (relatively, one of the best in my hometown, but still chobo on world standarts), but it's been a pretty while ago and when warcraft3 got out i switched to it... played a little, came to realize that war3classic was shit balance-wise, and switched back to SC, but then war3expansion hit the shelves and I came back to warcraft. So i'm more proficient with warcraft now and got more out of it (prizes and all). Now, however, after my last WCG-city-preliminary, i don't play seriously at all, just for fun sometimes, and watch the news and replays of course.

I get distracted way too easily. I'll be tooling along then realize, oh shit I need to build a barracks.
Yeah, SC require an absolute concentration. The hardest part in SC is to control the whole map, keep in your head a very quick database of *EVERYTHING* you control, and never forgetting a single unit or group, and that's right from the very first minute of the game, because even your first scout-worker is not just "order-and-forget" unit: once he gets to an opponent's base you need to micro him so that he does as much damage there as he possible can, and I can tell you one thing: he surely is not a worthless soldier. For instance, you can really fuck up enemy's initial economy by building pylons in the mineral field so that the workers get stuck. Or, for example, if you get at his base quick enough, you can build your extractor/assimilator on his geyser! that would totally screw up his buildorder and can drive him mad. And you gotta do this all at once - build your own structures, make units, maybe even place an early expansion, and at the same time control your scout. As game goes on, there are even more tasks to synchronize, and they get more complex.
This is what I love about this game - it's SO intensive, and so many ways to use your fast hands to micro (of course, WC3 is also very micro-intensive, but it's more centered on main force).
By the way, you can view a lot of neat micro-tricks on www.sclegacy.com.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I love the Terran Confederacy. Rednecks in space, hehe, and they manage to do it well, without overdoing it. Just some suthuhn accents, a few Texan accents mixed in, etc. Everyone smokes. Good setting.

Warhammer 40k is probably the coolest tabletop game out there, and Dawn of War was pretty fun. I also like the idea, of taking standard fantasy and changing it for the 41st Millenium.
Space Marines = Knights
Imperial Guards = Peasant Armies
Eldar = Space Elves
Dark Eldar = Dark Space Elves
Necrons = Mechanical Undead
Chaos = Evil Knights
Lost and the Damned = Evil Peasant Armies
Tau = I have no idea, but they're dumb
Tyranids = Your typical biological menace/Zerg
Orks= Orks, of course

I'd say out of all of them, I love the artwork and models for Chaos and converting Imperial Guard to Lost and the Damned is a lot of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom