Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Are you sure, you are remembering things correctly correct? Or maybe, some strange stuff like famous Meritum does that screen magic while loading, dunno...

I'm pretty sure it was a static screen in motion (like ants in ant's nest - you know what I mean). I asked my mother about it: "Yes, it was Atari", I asked my dad: "Nah, it was something different" and my sister doesn't even remember anything about it.
Well, I'll try to ask them again, because I'm really interested what it was, I'll let you know. And thanks for your concern.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Thanks Lazur - I think it was ZX Spectrum.

Some boring, non-sister, nitpick goes there:
ZX Spectrum doesn't has that type of loading screen and loading time. Average loading time is about 6 minutes per game, not to mention there's should be some pretty loading screen (or, at least, name of game and screen border full of crazy bars). 20 minutes per game is more suitable for 8-bit Atari, but then, normal, blue boot screen (usually with withe exclamation sign in the upper, left corner of screen) should be display. Very, very old computer turn off screen while loading program (like ZX80), but none of I know, display just white noise. Are you sure, you are remembering things correctly correct? Or maybe, some strange stuff like famous Meritum does that screen magic while loading, dunno...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the spectrum used to display flasing multi-coloured bars when loading games. Of course neither of our opinions count as we don't have hot sisters. :(

Luzur

Good Sir
Swedish Datastorm 2012 went along nicely, with alot of 64 demo cock fencing by the bros.

http://datastorm.se/#news

here are all the demos from the party:

http://galaga.hg5.gu.se/tmp/ds2012c64.zip

also, a new issue (#15) of Commodore Free out if anyone is interested. it's available in HTML, as a text file, a PDF or in disk image (d64) format.

and the new 8-bit album Bits with Byte is out:

BWB.jpg

Bits with Byte is a landmark album for us. A new sound and direction for the band was necessary to make Bits with Byte possible. Infused with a new appreciation for exploring sounds and embracing a healthy dose of chaos, this powerful album stands out in 8 bit weapon's over a decade long career as a true game changer.

1. Bits with Byte 03:01
2. Galactic Invasion 03:03
3. Apple Core II 01:57
4. The Art of Video Games Anthem 03:12
5. Miami Dub Bounce 02:39
6. We Fight for the Users 03:05
7. Drive Grinder 03:11
8. Escape from Xenon 03:08
9. Goodbye Cochise 01:36
10. Closer 2.00 2:45
11. Micro Boogie 2.0 03:45
12. Chip On Your Shoulder (Electric High Mix) 03:20
13. Closer (8 Bit Bandit Remix) 06:02
14. Chip On Your Shoulder (Sanxion7 Remix) 03:30
15. Bits with Byte Demo 02:54
16. The Art Of Video Games Anthem Demo 03:16
17. Galactic Invasion Demo 02:54

You can preview our album in its entirety here:
http://8bitweapon.bandcamp.com/album/bits-with-byte

Thank you

Seth & Michelle :) :]

also some cool demos

and lastly, Sonic The Hedgehog C64 release.

why the Codex doesnt make a troll c64 demo for Bethesda and mail it to Todd is beyond me

Luzur

Good Sir
Game of Thrones C64 strategy game intro (spoof prob, but looks cool, also bump thread.)

also, found this vid of the new C64:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
God.... To be able to turn back time.

I am still butthurt about Commodore going down and being forced to switch to PC to this very day.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Jahtari studio sale: Commodore C64 synth with 2 SID chips

SID_Front_1.jpg

Now after we've finished building one SID synth we've just completed another, bigger one for the Jahtari
studio, with four SID's inside. This means that the machine from the pics and video is basically left over
and up for sale. Unless you build your own they're usually ultra-rare to get, since once you've built one
you definitely want to keep it. So there's only this one machine available! Apart from all things listed HERE
this baby comes with the following extras:
  • has two SID 8580 inside (= the newer chips with better filters and improved sound). This means
    it's actually TWO independent synths in one, that can be used at the same time, each operating
    on their own MIDI-channel and with their own audio output. You can easily switch between them.
  • built into a original Commodore C64 "breadboard" case, it comes with a special deluxe Jahtari
    frontplate, high quality metal knobs for an excellent feel and cool 80s style buttons.
  • a lot of presets created by disrupt are still stored inside, instantly ready to use for some Jahtari-
    style jamming. The rest are the quite useful sounds that already came along with the project.
    There's storage space for 2 x 128 presets (Bank A and B) plus a special memory for storing
    combinations of those sounds, called "Ensembles".
  • power supply works from 100-240 V = worldwide. Outside Europe (or UK) you just need a
    standard adapter for the power plug.
  • connections on the back: Audio Out SID1, Audio Out SID2, MIDI In & Out for loading or storing
    your presets. Core DC In, SID DC In, power supplies included.
  • comes with a printed manual

SID_Back.jpg

http://jahtari.org/music/SID.htm

Saldy, it's already sold.

Suchy

Arcane
http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/09/commodore-founder-jack-tramiel-dies-at-83/

Jack Tramiel, a huge figure in computer history and founder of Commodore, died on Sunday at the age of 83, according to Forbes.
Tramiel was both a visionary and controversial figure as the founder of Commodore International and the former chief executive of Atari Corp. He was a Holocaust survivor and turned out to be a tough businessman. His life was like a chronicle of the tech industry.
He was born as Jacek Trzmiel in Lodz, Poland in 1928. After the Germans invaded in 1939, his family was moved to the Jewish ghetto in Lodz, where he worked in a garment factory. His family was send to the Auschwitz concentration camp, where he was examined by the notorious doctor Josef Mengele. Tramiel survived the labor camps while his family members died. At age 16, he was rescued from the camp in April 1945 by the 84th Infantry Division. In 1947, he emigrated to the U.S. and learned how to repair office equipment in the U.S. Army.
He bought a typewriter repair shop in 1953 in New York and renamed it the Commodore Portable Typewriter company. The company later became famous in tech circles when it launched the Vic20, Commodore PET, and Commodore 64 computers in the 1980s. The latter went on to be one of the best-selling computer models of all time and it was a favorite among early video game fans, including a number who became famous video game designers.
In 1984, he resigned from Commodore and started Tramel Technology (deliberately misspelling his own last name to make the company name easier to pronounce) with the aim of creating a next-generation home computer. In 1984, Tramel bought the consumer division of Atari from Warner Communications. Tramiel then renamed Tramel Technology, calling it Atari Corp. In the late 1980s, Tramiel stepped away from management of Atari and his son Sam took over. Sam had a heart attack in 1995 and Tramiel returned to run the company. He sold Atari in 1996.

Farewell, great Potato.

asper

Arcane
Wow, amazing, I didn't know the founder of Commodore was a Polish jew, and concentration camp survivor..! :salute:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Rest in peace you magnificent bastard, computers and gaming wouldn't be the same without Commodore's contributions. :salute:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Polish jew

He was not a jew, Trzmiel is a 100% potato surname.

Superior potato slav science hyperspaced unwashed kwa and rest of the world masses into era of computers.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If he was Jewish, it means he had a Jewish mother, and so his surname could've been really anything if she married a goy.

asper

Arcane
Polish jew

He was not a jew, Trzmiel is a 100% potato surname.

Superior potato slav science hyperspaced unwashed kwa and rest of the world masses into era of computers.

Wikipedia said:
Tramiel was born as Jacek Trzmiel in Łódź, Poland,[4] into a Jewish family.

The Polish Wikipedia page omits this fact, but judging by other cases it seems to be common to state Polish Jews are Polish, and then to mention the Jewish background in an additional sentence (Alfred Tarski). Can't help but think there's a bit of appropriation going on there.

And of course Trzmiel was the founder and owner of the company, and not the engineer that designed the computer.

The product was code named the VIC-40 as the successor to the popular VIC-20. The team that constructed it consisted of Bob Russell, Bob Yannes and David A. Ziembicki.

Hmm.... Ziembicki?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jack Trammiel was awesome. Discussing if he was a jew or not is one of the lowest point the Codex ever reached.

Jashiin

Arcane
God.... To be able to turn back time.

I am still butthurt about Commodore going down and being forced to switch to PC to this very day.

This. Nothing will ever come close to the magic that machine brought to my screen. Thread nearly brought a tear to my eye :salute:. But as has been said before, apart from all the gameplay what really set the amiga apart in its day was the music OMG the music. So imagine the thrill I felt, and perhaps a miniture loss of urine, when I discovered that turrican music god Chris Huelsbeck, responsible for such gems as this...

...has his own bloody kickstarter page to remaster, rerecord and rerelease the whole of turrican 1 2 and 3's soundtrack.

:what:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ndtrack-anthology-by-chris-huelsbeck?ref=live

For those already kickstarter tired, I figured still a good heads up just knowing it will be out in the coves and bays of this world.

Jashiin

Arcane
Ah yes, those great names. I remember salvaging fat agnus from a broken A500 to fix another. Just randomly exchange chips until one of them booted up again. I had no clue :lol:

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yea, no thanks, Chris. Paula chip > orchestra.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts! Same goes for the various Hippel or C64 "orchestral" re-works. Something magical is lost in the transition...

Ps. On the other hand, simple forms of classic music (not the big orchestral ones, but quartets, string, harpsichord or piano solos) are somewhat similar to the chip music. Simplicity is beautiful.

made

Arcane
You mean like that track Dimmu Borgir stole from Tim Wright and tried to pass as their own?

made

Arcane
It was actually more common than you'd think. Kernkraft 400 is probably the most prominent example as they played that tune in every club for 2 years straight, at least around here. Works both ways tho.

Luzur

Good Sir
It was actually more common than you'd think. Kernkraft 400 is probably the most prominent example as they played that tune in every club for 2 years straight, at least around here. Works both ways tho.

i know, Lazy Jones etc, but this was pretty recent too and with some big rapper guy, like Puff Daddy or someone.

got some headlines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom