Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Luzur

Good Sir
Haba said:
Luzur said:
well, i cant say i have a particular need for emulators either, but it is easier.

Woah! All still fully functional?

all functional except the 2 loose Amiga 500's, the 1571 and a C64C.

You don't happen to have a 1571 for sale? Smile

i got a 1571 (the one under the VIC-1540) but it dont load discs anymore, i have opened it up and solded a loose resistor, but it didnt help.

pity, since it is the only one i have and i got it for free too. :(

60% of this collection is the result of 5-6 years of dumpster-diving and fleamarket rounds, so it have been very cheap to build, the rest is ebay/local auctions/trades with fellow collectors.

EDIT: fuck i forgot the rest of the pics. :x

Luzur said:
found this on lemon64.

http://www.gamesplaygames.co.uk/thewildbunch/

the old spectrum game The Wild Bunch ported to C64.

there is also a guy reworking Maniac Mansio so it will run with GEOram and mousesupport (the good old 1351)

A very fine collection overall. Out of interest, which C64 do you prefer? As stated before, I prefer the old style breadbox mainly due to the SID model it has, though others swear the C version is more reliable. I haven't had a problem with my original machine to date, so I cannot comment whether this is true.

I am surprised that the 1571 doesn't work. It must have been thrashed before you got it, they are usually very tough units (especially compared to the 1541 :lol: ).

Luzur

Good Sir
Blackadder said:
Luzur said:
found this on lemon64.

http://www.gamesplaygames.co.uk/thewildbunch/

the old spectrum game The Wild Bunch ported to C64.

there is also a guy reworking Maniac Mansio so it will run with GEOram and mousesupport (the good old 1351)

A very fine collection overall. Out of interest, which C64 do you prefer? As stated before, I prefer the old style breadbox mainly due to the SID model it has, though others swear the C version is more reliable. I haven't had a problem with my original machine to date, so I cannot comment whether this is true.

I am surprised that the 1571 doesn't work. It must have been thrashed before you got it, they are usually very tough units (especially compared to the 1541 :lol: ).

i favor the breadbin too, mostly of memories, since that was the model i had as a kid. the C64C is more refined and debugged, but i just dont get the same feeling as with a breadbin. but as far as ive heard the C models die/breakdown alot faster, due to much more cheaper parts.

and the 1571 was a dumpster find along with a C64C and lots of cables/manuals, so i guess it was tossed due to permanent malfunction, but if i find soem replacement parts for it i can fix it, probably.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30391

Same guy as

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... ight=vic20

New I had it pegged.

It seems his non for profit glory quest has turned into a quest for millions! Dirty Capitalist pig dog, now I will have to buy the thing to play it. I don't know who he is putting in all those weeks, months of effort and charge me for it. I talked to him after all. I thought we were really good friends.

On a more serious note, I always thought as you do regarding the C model. It was, after all, made to be cheaper so Commodore could reap more profit.

Those dumpster raids, you must have had either some great local dump bins, or gotten fairly dirty strolling around every back alley in Sweden.

Edit: Actually, Realms of quest looks pretty good. I like the little disk artwork they have with their releases on Psytronic. Have you tried out that Knight and Grail game Luzur?

Luzur

Good Sir
Those dumpster raids, you must have had either some great local dump bins, or gotten fairly dirty strolling around every back alley in Sweden.

heh, the electronic bin at our local dump outside the city can yield treasures beyond your imagination, if you are there at the right moment.

:wink:

but the 1571 and the rest was found in a dumpster outside a apartment building some guys where clearing stuff out of when i was walking home from work one day.

Edit: Actually, Realms of quest looks pretty good. I like the little disk artwork they have with their releases on Psytronic. Have you tried out that Knight and Grail game Luzur?

nope, havent had the cash for it yet, but it is on my "TO BUY" list.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Moving from the C64 to A500 was such a quantum leap. If there was ever something that I consider NextGen it was the Amiga. Too bad Commodore fucked up with compatibility and marketing, they should be still be around, instead of Apple. As it happened, the PC killed the home computer, which will now be slowly killed by consoles, who will try to imitate home computers again, just without the creativity.

Did anyone here own a A1200 or Atari Falcon? I think they were pretty awesome, just too little, too late.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Not me, I switched from a c64 to a PC... I thought that was pretty common. I don't know anybody who didn't switch to PC after c64...

Burning Bridges

No, no no in Europe every one got an Amiga first. It was just when they didn't make any more games for the Amiga that people started abandoning it. Every one said that 7.85 Mhz was too weak for high end sims like Red Baron, although in the end most got converted and played awesome. In fact early gen PCs were a joke compared with the Amiga. VGA was 320x200: Amiga was 600x400ish. Soundblaster was no where near the sound of an Amiga. It took years until the PC had caught up in all respects, I think that was about the time Diablo appeared, which makes it 1996 or so.

RuySan

Augur
Haba said:
Hunter (1991)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PcAlGHXzk

This shit just blows my mind.

The player can move by using many vehicles including bicycle, tank, car, van, ship, surf board, rowing boat and helicopter--

Sandbox gaming was invented in 1991. And number of developers for that game: 1.

and it came in just one 700k disk!

fantastic game

Just watching the Heimdall playthrough. One of my favorites, but i never finished.

asper

Arcane
GlobalExplorer said:
No, no no in Europe every one got an Amiga first. It was just when they didn't make any more games for the Amiga that people started abandoning it. Every one said that 7.85 Mhz was too weak for high end sims like Red Baron, although in the end most got converted and played awesome. In fact early gen PCs were a joke compared with the Amiga. VGA was 320x200: Amiga was 600x400ish. Soundblaster was no where near the sound of an Amiga. It took years until the PC had caught up in all respects, I think that was about the time Diablo appeared, which makes it 1996 or so.

I'm in Europe :?

Burning Bridges

Taken from RuySan's link some nice music compilations, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTz5iwmt ... re=related

Shadow of the Beast is a must hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zZQitKC ... re=related

Don't forget, this was 1989, I guess a lot of you werent even born.

asper said:
I'm in Europe :?

OK, then I should have said every one but asper :wink: When did you get your PC? I got my Amiga in 1990, couldn't earlier cause of some political thing we had going on, you know.

Luzur

Good Sir
Did anyone here own a A1200 or Atari Falcon? I think they were pretty awesome, just too little, too late.

i still have my A1200, its in the pics on the previous page. i upgraded from C64 to A500 and about a 1½ year after that the A1200.

then Pentium PC sometime in 1995-96

asper

Arcane
Damn, I don't remember, but it would probably be around '93 or '94. I would have to ask my father or older brother.

One of the things that struck me was that here in the Netherlands, while we were growing up, a lot of people had c64's (trading floppy's on the schoolyard etc), while our Polish family had an Atari, and most Poles I knew at that time also had Ataries. Anyway, really, I don't know anyone who bought the Amiga.. Maybe I just grew up in an economically weaker environment :)

Burning Bridges

Asper, I switched to a 386DX in 1993 too, but to the Amiga already in 1990.

One of the things that struck me was that here in the Netherlands, while we were growing up, a lot of people had c64's (trading floppy's on the schoolyard etc), while our Polish family had an Atari, and most Poles I knew at that time also had Ataries. Anyway, really, I don't know anyone who bought the Amiga.. Maybe I just grew up in an economically weaker environment Smile

I can tell you a lot of people in the East Block had C-64s, getting games was also no problem even the forbidden ones like Red Storm Rising, although our Stasi certainly wouldn't have been delighted.

asper

Arcane
Well, we stuck with the c64 until the PC came :] Good times... Don't have pics, but my modest collection only consists of both editions of c64 (both working), the floppy drive, two tape drives, and some peripherals... Have to buy some more...

Burning Bridges

I still have a C128 and floppy somewhere, wonder if the discs would still work :(

On Amiga, it seems I used to play a lot of Cinemaware games:

Lords of the Rising Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0U7ZqOz2fU

It came from the Desert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDktGefg8xY

Wings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIARv4zpCk

But not only, also conversions of my favorites on the C64:

Pirates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw02aJxqXGo

Elite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuWgLEQBxM

and also a lot this:

Indianapolis 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33O15xA ... re=related

Luzur

Good Sir
GlobalExplorer said:
Asper, I switched to a 386DX in 1993 too, but to the Amiga already in 1990.

One of the things that struck me was that here in the Netherlands, while we were growing up, a lot of people had c64's (trading floppy's on the schoolyard etc), while our Polish family had an Atari, and most Poles I knew at that time also had Ataries. Anyway, really, I don't know anyone who bought the Amiga.. Maybe I just grew up in an economically weaker environment Smile

and i thought MXS was the big boy in Netherlands.

asper

Arcane
Behold my contribution to the thread.

THE C64 DEMOSCENE
NOTHING LIKE IT WILL EVER HAPPEN AGAIN

51983.png

EDGE OF DISGRACE, BY BOOZE DESIGN
part 1
part 2

11666.png

CYCLE, BY BOOZE DESIGN

1417.gif

DEUS EX MACHINA, BY CREST & OXYRON
part 1
part 2

30213.jpg

DESERT DREAM, BY RESOURCE
part 1
part 2

51965.png

PEARLS FOR PIGS, BY XENON

16013.png

ONE MILLION LIGHTYEARS FROM EARTH, BY FAIRLIGHT

26778.png

THE WILD BUNCH, BY FOCUS, INSTINCT, HORIZON & TRIAD

31134.gif

SHARP, BY FAIRLIGHT & INSTINCT

25673.jpg

TRANS*FORM, BY FOCUS

18405.gif

HELLO:FRIEND, BY FAIRLIGHT

18365.png

BOOGIE FACTOR, BY FAIRLIGHT

51967.png

AMPLIFIRE, BY HORIZON & INSTINCT (LIVE VIDEO)

1216.gif

SECOND REALITY 64, BY SMASH DESIGN (Future Crew remake)

53501.png

ANDROPOLIS, BY BOOZE DESIGN & INSTINCT

24450.gif

ARTEFACTS, BY PLUSH

1428.gif

UNSOUND MINDS, BY BYTERAPERS

24466.jpg

ERROR23, BY RESOURCE

8197.gif

INSOMNIA, BY 64EVER
part 1
part 2

1464.gif

MATHEMATICA, BY REFLEX

30215.png

NATURAL WONDERS, BY OXYRON

51969.jpg

NATURAL WONDERS 2, BY OXYRON

BONUS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pixcjhqLq34

love_c64.jpg

c64ready.gif

Spectrums were the big thing that I remember, with C64's coming in at number 2. When the Amiga 500 came, my brother managed to scrape up enough to get one, and passed his C64 along to me.

I stuck with that well past its use by date (still have it in use, so that was an understatement!) even when I got an A500. I didn't make the leap to PC until I got a 387/16 in order to play the Ultima games, in particular.

I think I was one of the only people to buy, and complete, Ultima 6 on the C64. Not sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, I missed the end of Commodore, having joined the Army by that stage, but it seemed to me that they were basically becoming expensive IBM compatibles anyway. I think Commodore took on the wrong crowd of fans, basically the lower end of the market, mixed with graphics whores (Amiga). These two areas made up the majority of their market, so you had one that would jump ship for the cheapest alternative, especially gaming, and the other would jump ship if you didn't provide the most power.

The C64 easily provided the most bang for buck, for years. The Amiga, too, was easily the most powerful home computer when it came out. It made the competition look like something from the stone age, again for quite a few years. When new consoles started emerging from Japan, CBM started losing the low end gamers, and when IBM compatibles eclipsed the Amiga, for less money, CBM lost the power users. Basically, they had two mega winners on their hands, and nothing else after them that really matched the opposition when it came to price or power.

'What about Apple?' you may ask. They had the same thing that prestige cars today have; a made up name. They were horrendously expensive for what you got (Apple II had 48 kb, lousy colours, no disk drive, some beeping sounds, etc yet you would pay well over a thousand for the base model. After this, you would need to pay many hundreds for each upgrade, including more ram to take it to 64kb, a disk drive, a sound card, etc. The C64 had 64 kb, 16 colours, an excellent sound system and these were in the stock model for a couple of hundred on release. A Disk drive would set you back another 200 or so) yet appealed to the yuppy due to clever advertising.

The Apple user wouldn't want a PC. They were difficult to use (dos), and were really just business machines. The C64 was for low brows and 'lesser' people, while the Amiga was a hoon machine, made for the 'revheads' of the computer world. No, the true stock broker/business mogul/intellectual, who knew nothing about computers, went for the prestigious Apple. How could you tell your friends otherwise? The same pretty much applies today. You pay a lot of money for a machine that is nowhere near as powerful as the (less expensive) opposition. It does have the Apple logo on it though!

Rakanishu

Novice
dunno if I can

dunno if I can post emule links oups I said the world emule that will bring google passerbys to the site
So here's the links delete my post if I couldn't do that but I can't see why emule links to abandonware wouldn't be permited and tubgirl is

ed2k://|file|ROMS.-.Commodore.Amiga.-.(tosec.2006-05-13)(full)(0.missing).-.1of4.-.AxelF6.MCSTeam.rar|4186215271|A613F23EB93F0C2D8263CC1F51E2D55A|/

ed2k://|file|ROMS.-.Commodore.Amiga.-.(tosec.2006-05-13)(full)(0.missing).-.2of4.-.AxelF6.MCSTeam.rar|5654735847|84F1F201D5A05B396820B388C07D4348|/

ed2k://|file|ROMS.-.Commodore.Amiga.-.(tosec.2006-05-13)(full)(0.missing).-.3of4.-.AxelF6.MCSTeam.rar|4087489283|74EE8DA73FAEF3CF3FB9A98377D50AAA|/

ed2k://|file|ROMS.-.Commodore.Amiga.-.(tosec.2006-05-13)(full)(0.missing).-.4of4.-.AxelF6.MCSTeam.rar|3435285949|B63D127D858240C5DFDAC28449043FBC|/

that does 16 and something gigas of roms enjoy

/edit no use in clicking on the link you have to copy then paste on the mule

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't know about Europe, but here in Iceland the 8-bits were dominated by the Spectrum, though both the C-64 and Amstrad had a healthy following. From what I recall, the Amiga was not so prevalent around here as you would think, more people had Atari ST's than Amigas.

I had an Amstrad myself and used it until the early 90's, when I switched over to the PC. As a result I kinda skipped the 16-bit machines, though I'm well familiar with many of the games released on the ST and the Amiga.

Your statement is wrong. A game very much like this one was released the year before, called Midwinter. Look it up, as well as its sequel, Flames Of Freedom. Although both those games had more developers than Hunter.

But if you want to go further back to find a sandbox game, try 1984 with Elite. I'm sure there's an even older game that allows you as much freedom as the aforementioned titles.

Sentenza said:
Robocop 3
almost forgot that one. Crappy movie, great game.

In case you didn't know, Robocop 3(D) had nothing to do with the film. The game was actually released before the film came out.

Luzur: Awesome collection as always.

If there's one game I always found interesting from the Amiga/Atari ST scene, it was Weird Dreams.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rhvFW3Lbo

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Unkillable Cat said:

Your statement is wrong. A game very much like this one was released the year before, called Midwinter. Look it up, as well as its sequel, Flames Of Freedom. Although both those games had more developers than Hunter.

Heh, I thought of mentioning Midwinter, but there were no videos of it up in Youtube. True 'dat.

A600 was nice machine. I could fool it into thinking that it was a A1200 (in the 'BIOS' settings) so that I could play X-Com 1. Loading a mission took about 20-30 minutes and I couldn't do any of the bigger UFO's as the game would crash. I still completed the game despite that :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I owned Dragon Ninja on a floppy disc. Actually, correct that. I own Dragon Ninja on a floppy disc.

The Amstrad version of that game was shit. If those ninjas that jumped up into the air and came down sword first ever jumped into the air, they would always hit you. Even if you were jumping away, or had moved up/down to another level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom